Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
Im glad you brought up black panther. Unless spike lee or someone like that is tapped to direct it you can all but garuntee its gonna be some bullshyt. There is no way they will give a strong black character his own movie without giving him a major flaw. And i garuntee it will be a major flaw..

Just the imagery of an uncompromised intellegent and strong black male character is a direct challenge to white supremacy. I wouldnt be surprised if they make his character a homosexual or something when he is not kickin ass in the suit. This is Disney. They have no interest or history in promoting strong black images.
Question for you? What if Disney makes BP into the badass that we all want but the movie tanks because white viewers don't want to see that? Then as a reaction Disney decides to reverse course on more diverse leads? What would you say to that? Keep in mind, they do have shareholders...

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah man. I don't know if the coli is aware lol, but Scripts for movies are written before actors are even considered for the characters most the time. Unless somebody can prove the character of Finn was written with the sole purpose of degrading a black men, all this talk just makes nikkas look crazy

scripts change all the time lmao

they change even while filming lmao

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll be honest I thought his best moment in the film was the fight with Kylo ren
Everything else was kinda working up to Finn not running anymore and standing and fighting
He lost that shyt quick though and the biggest WTF to me is that they kept him in a coma as a plot device
They held his character back because by any logical narrative extension he would have followed Rey to meet Luke and the writers obviously wanted Rey to be the only character to have that moment.
Finn won't elevate to the levels I want his character to achieve if they keep holding him back to push Rey over him.

Why would Finn go with Rey to meet Luke? I think the coma means:
-he awakens and Rey is gone
-realizes he failed and wasn't strong enough
-focuses on becoming stronger himself

How he gets stronger can go multiple directions:
-awakens the force
-gains more combat experience working with the resistance
-learns to use a saber despite having the force (he handled it well already)
-learns to use that anti-saber storm trooper weapon

I'm assuming there won't be a huge time skip and we'll see Rey's training. Simultaneously we'll see Finn's development.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Question for you? What if Disney makes BP into the badass that we all want but the movie tanks because white viewers don't want to see that? Then as a reaction Disney decides to reverse course on more diverse leads? What would you say to that? Keep in mind, they do have shareholders...

Disney can bait and switch racists into a black panther movie the same way they bait and switched black folks into this star wars movie. If the movie tanks it would be on how they market it. Majority black audiences alone can push the right movie to a 40 million plus opening. Tyler perry has proved this. Kevin hart has proved this. Ant man had a 57 million opening weekend. No reason Black panther wouldnt hit those numbers or more regarless of white viewers. White Marvel stans would still reluctantly see it if it ties into the overall marvel story. Blacks would support a major black hero film done right in record numbers.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Was going to make a thread about this but didn't want to spoil the film with a Title so here it goes:

Whether you appreciated Finn's character or not, let's be honest we all got fooled by the marketing of Force Awakens. Instead of having a bad ass black Jedi we got an "everyman" character, which is still a bait and switch. I've actually defended Finn's importance in the movie many times but that still can't be overlooked.

Now we all know BP is getting a solo movie but I just wonder how he'll be treated by the time Infinity War comes around. While he's actually smarter than Tony and Stronger than Cap, I can't help but think he'll be downplayed.

Am I wrong to be worried or am I just being caught in the moment and reading too many Finn thinkpieces?
Of course you are not wrong to be worried about black panther. The obvious difference is that black panthers African/Blackness is very inmportant to the character whereas with Finn it isn't.

Also as for the marketing

1. Imo that is not a good enough reason to shyt on the character. shyt on Disney for that if you want

2. Finn may very well end up being a Jedi.
Every forum I've been to has shown multiple examples of Finn's potential force sensitivity

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
So my thoughts on the movie

Compared to the prequels, the acting was leaps above and just quality throughout. The humor was appropriate and not forced like the prequel movies. Scenes focused on the actors, instead of forcing CGI sets in our faces with a bunch of moving parts to take away from the scene.

The story was a bit lackluster for my liking. It felt like a modernized version of a new hope to the point where I was predicting things before it occurred, just with a new family arc. The droid holding info, the force sensitive loner who finds the droid, even the part where Han dies seemed to pay homage to the part where Luke first met Vader and learned about him being his son. I hopersonally the next movie isn't an episode 5 remake and will use this as a launching pad into a different plot instead of following the original trilogy.

As for the characters, I enjoyed them all except Rey. It's not that her acting was bad, she's just entirely too perfect. She doesn't need help because she can do anything the plot put her against.

-I've been living on Jakku by myself for years with no help for years somehow
-Oh well need a ship to escape, I can go from piloting speeder bikes to the fastest ship in the galaxy (that first falcon sequence was probably my favorite part of the movie btw.)
-I know the intricacies of not only the falcon, but many of the First Order structures because I've scavenged a star destroyer?
-Kylo reminds me I'm force sensative? I become as powerful with the force in the span of the few hours of me walking around the base

And there are probably more things that could be listed. She had a 2 minute "struggle" of accepting who she was, which was her only sign of flaw or weakness. I get it Disney, you want a strong female lead, but that doesn't mean she needs to be free of any character flaws.

Overall, it was a great movie. Again, I hope this is a launching pad rather that a sign of things to come. Also they really need to flesh out Rey's character a bit more, maybe use her desire to find whoever left her on Jakku, as a flaw that creates some sort of internal conflict for Rey.
I liked Rey a lot but people's criticisms seem valid

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Nothing about Hollywood's history gives me any reason to trust them fam :russ:, so I'm right with ya with no delusion with how it may play out. But all this waiting for ep 8 is bullshyt sentiment by others... well then drop the franchise and move on. :manny:

But the point isn't to look the other way and "just wait". I'm all for the criticizing and the hyper-tokenism dissection rabble... b/c social media is loud, snowball-ish and influential. Just look at how they changed the Avengers team from cacfest to "colorful" at the end of AoU and then expedited Panther's appearance to Civil War.

So i hope it gets loud and unavoidable (and purposeful), and causes Disney to take notice. But we're not going to know until ep 8 and the first leaked review. I dropped the Walking Dead 2 years ago the second i saw they weren't going to treat Tyresse any better than the other black folks; I no longer talk about that franchise now. I'll drop Justice League the second I learn that John Stewart isn't the GL. Ep8, I have to hear that Finn made a big leap or I wouldn't bother paying, and will move on as well.

The way TWD did Morgan this season :snoop::martin:

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
Disney can bait and switch racists into a black panther movie the same way they bait and switched black folks into this star wars movie. Black SW fans were going to see it regardless.

If the movie tanks it would be on how they market it. How do you know that? Seems like an assumption based on what you want to believe rather than the strong possibility that white people don't want to consume black OP'd heroes. Maybe they like their black characters as faithful sidekicks and comic relief. Majority black audiences alone can push the right movie to a 40 million plus opening. Sounds optimistic. Tyler perry has proved this. Kevin hart has proved this. In comic book movies and Space Westerns? This is news. Ant man had a 57 million opening weekend. No reason Black panther wouldnt hit those numbers or more regarless of white viewers. More optimism. Do you have data to support this? I know white people are comfortable with Spawn and Blade but Black Panther is challanging to WS by his very name. White Marvel stans would still reluctantly see it if it ties into the overall marvel story.:francis: Blacks would support a major black hero film done right in record numbers.Perhaps. I guess we will find out but you are already saying any failure in this film will be due to the construction of the charachter, story or ad campaign. You have already decided what you want to believe. You do not seem to believe that the interest for Black Panther lies mostly with Black audiences and that certain segment of white audiences will NOT support this film
White people relate to Ant-Man. :troll: They don't relate to T'Challa.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:wow:They had the boy on all fours drinking water from a modern day equivalent hog trough. Even the lil cac behind me said look mommy a piggy.

Tha Gawd Amen

Mamba Mentality
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
I liked Rey a lot but people's criticisms seem valid
Her acting was great, but yeah, she overcame any and everything the plot threw at her on her own for the most part.

I even think that Cantina scene so centered around Finn, would've been better used on her. The two smugglers are revealed to be offering transport to anywhere in return for work, pondering this, she sneaks off to collect her thoughts, when Luke's light sabers begins to call out to her, the same flashback happens, but instead of her getting sad when she says, "we both know who you'really waiting for on Jakku are not returning," instead, she becomes angry and storms off with the smugglers. Throw in some filler where Finn tries to stop her but it doesn'the work, then the attack happens.

Last edited:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I can't remember because I left the thread after I read it. Whoever it was needs to reveal themselves:ufdup:

Tariq Nasheed basically said they casted him because he's not handsome and has "c00n features":snoop:

John-Boyega-star-Wars-0312-1.jpg

If he looks like Sambo so does Denzel:russ:. How do you look at a another black man and say that?

Notice how Boyega didn't have that look in the film along with the confidence and masculinity of his character in Attack The Block :mjpls: