Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
How am I deflecting? It is very clear that nikkas would have almost no problems with Finn and would have therefore liked the movie more if he was white.
I reject this statement. This thread would not be 100 pages if Finn was not black and the other major thread would not be 400+ pages either. Interest would not be as high. You are deflecting with these strange alternate universe "If Finn was white" scenarios. Just accept the fact that some people feel a little hard done by and move on about it. We are not all irrational. There are other views out there. I don't believe in Ls and Ws like some people around here seem to but Finn is a little buffoonish and hollywood movies are already chock full of buffoonish black supporting characters. If you cant admit that then I don't know what else to say. I hope Finn wakes up from his coma a lot more badass, force sensitive or not. Maybe he can be a bounty hunter who is affiliated with but not belonging to the resistance. I would like that. At this point if they made him a Jedi it would be alright but a little late in the game. If he wakes up and does some bullshyt without being redeemed we are going to be lighting torches and rolling on Kathleen Kennedy's house.

Last edited:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The movie had a way harder edge back then...ratings changed too

Return of the Jedi was BLATANT as well as Phantom Menace. This was a PG-13 film that showed brutal violence. Ain't nothing "kiddie" about this movie. No Ewoks. No Muppets. No Jar Jar. No Pod Racing. None of that.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
Oh about that.

It wasn't a "fight" though I could tell he REALLY wanted to debate me all night but I wasn't trying to give him the time of the day.

So he heard me tell me my girlfriend that I didn't appreciate the black character being the weak coward. During the "Finn's Confession" scene I said "it's 2015 and we're STILL cowards:comeon:". I didnt shout it or anything but he obviously heard me.

When the movie was over he turned around asked which one of us "made the 2015" comment. He was a shorter Asian guy with glasses and a Darth Vadar t-shirt on, an obvious fanboy. I told him it was me. He asked me what I meant by that and I said the character was emasculated and I didn't enjoy watching the black character be the FIRST character in cinematic universe to use a lightsaber and not be force sensitive, also I didn't enjoy that he was comic relief and that he lost all fights.

His come back was pretty much what everyone else had been saying. He first used the "Han used a lightsaber in Empire". I countered with "Not in combat", the. He went into the "wait until episode 8, he couldn't be a badass right at the beginning" and I countered with the "Luke wasn't a "bad ass" at the beginning but he STILL destroyed the Death Star, he wasn't emasculated throughout the movie"

He THEN went into the highlight of his argument, the ONE thing I KNEW he really wanted to say.

Asian Guy: I like watching people of color be more like Finn instead of the angry black man stereotype that Samuel L Jackson has been playing his whole career.

Me: oh so your saying they the only way for a black male to be strong is to be angry:heh: Finn couldn't have accomplished ONE thing in this movie without being "angry"? Was Luke "angry" when he blew up,the Death Star? Was Han angry when he shot first? Black courage equals black anger?

Asian Guy: well....:lupe:I just think you are judging the character before his arc has been completed...

Me: :birdman: you have your opinion and I have mine, and it's not going to change.

Then we said good night and I walked away.

Like I said it wasn't a "fight". It wasn't even a disrespectful conversation, but I already KNOW that these fanboys are going down with the ship when it comes to Star Wars. Plus again, these non-blacks are going to naturally want to trade one end of the spectrum for the other, of COURSE he wouldn't want to see "Angry Samuel Jackson" because in a majority of SLJ's he, by nature of his persona, isn't emasculated. Even in his "supporting" roles he still commands respect. Can you imagine what this guy was thinking when he saw Black Nick Fury barking orders to Blue-Eyed All American Steve Rogers? Or initially rejecting the "Genius" Tony Stark from the Avengers initiative? Dude probably cheered when he thought Sam died in Winter Soldier...

Yo, I'm glad you got outta there with little to no drama. You know how it is. If you woulda engaged, next thing you know, cops/security showing up talking about "calm down sir :birdman:", with cacs on the sideline talkin' "it's only a movie :troll:"

And yep. The "boycottstarwars" folks won with this shyt. They are completely okay with a safe, emasculated black guy, they just didn't want him to be a Steven Hiller type.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
The fact they REUSED a "death star" plot shows how fukking lazy this film is.

I literally don't know "whats next" ...save the "sad" luke? This shyt left me so underwhelmed. Like...theres no incentive to see the next one outside of just wanting to know how they save the story.

I'm just hoping that "saving sad Luke" doesn't play out like "saving crazy Yoda." It's just insane how many similarities there are to the original films.

Han Solo saving Rey/Finn ala Obi Wan saving Luke from the Tusken raiders.
Kylo Ren striking down his father ala Darth Vader striking down his master Obi Wan.
Finn basically being incapacitated at the end of the movie ala Han Solo being frozen in carbonite.
Rey finding Luke ala Luke finding Yoda.

But on another note, I'm surprised a bigger deal hasn't been made about Finn being the love interest to Rey. I figured white people would be up in arms about that :heh:

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
Harrison Ford made 34 million dollars for this movie :leon::myman:
I bet he was worth at least 150 million in revenue and cred. Many older guys came to see Han Solo and Chewie and nothing else. In my theaters Han scenes got the biggest laughs and cheers besides Luke at the end.

Jorvan

All Star
Daps
It was mentioned once becauze it was only relevent once. He wouldnt call himself sanitation if he was orginally a grunt.

And yeah, you DO call up support soldiers for combat missionz, critical or not, if they need the manpower. Everyone from desk flunkies to cooks are sent out the FOB for combat missions during the war. Because first and foremost you are infantry, your other job second.

I’ve deployed twice as an 11B and I’ve never seen anyone outside of combat arms/combat medics who were allowed to leave the base for combat missions. There’s no reason to because there is no shortage of infantryman. The same thing can be applied to the movie. There is nothing to suggest that the First Order were so hard pressed for troops that they needed to pull regular janitors away from their duty to help out for a mission. Read Finn’s bio. He was on the mission because he was groomed for it, not because they just needed an extra man and just grabbed whoever.

where In the movie, not some book, does Finn's elite achievement in the New Order get showcased. People get their assignments in the military based on their ASVAB test. The best and Brightest recruits aren't put in sanitation. My friend scored high and he was assigned to nuclear engineering.

It doesn't work like that in the Army at least. The ASVAB doesn't choose your MOS, it just decides what MOS are available for you to choose. It doesn't matter if the recruit is the best and the brightest, there are times when soldiers get picked for details that have nothing to do with their MOS. Especially infantry. Seriously, ask any grunt and they will tell you "We do everybody's job :shaq2:"

Infantry stay getting put on bullshyt details and stuff that has nothing to do with what they signed up for:pachaha:

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
I’ve deployed twice as an 11B and I’ve never seen anyone outside of combat arms/combat medics who were allowed to leave the base for combat missions. There’s no reason to because there is no shortage of infantryman. The same thing can be applied to the movie. There is nothing to suggest that the First Order were so hard pressed for troops that they needed to pull regular janitors away from their duty to help out for a mission. Read Finn’s bio. He was on the mission because he was groomed for it, not because they just needed an extra man and just grabbed whoever.

It doesn't work like that in the Army at least. The ASVAB doesn't choose your MOS, it just decides what MOS are available for you to choose. It doesn't matter if the recruit is the best and the brightest, there are times when soldiers get picked for details that have nothing to do with their MOS. Especially infantry. Seriously, ask any grunt and they will tell you "We do everybody's job :shaq2:"

Infantry stay getting put on bullshyt details and stuff that has nothing to do with what they signed up for:pachaha:

I have never served, so I wouldn't know. Thanks for the info.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
Lol he said he was a sanitation worker and lied about having a plan in order to save Rey (who already saved herself) once they got on the star killer. In that one sequence he literally hit on all three descriptions I laid out. Y'all are so desperate :mjlol: y'all can't admit anything.

Deflect, brehs

Maybe Finn pulled a Manny in Scarface by mistake :leostare:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You guys are missing the point. We thought we were getting a black Jedi character who would be the equal co-star of the new trilogy and the film was marketed that way. Instead we got something entirely different. It was the bait n switch that got us. Go look at how women are reacting to the film and Rey in particular. I could post a hundred articles about how "We needed this" and "What a strong independant woman Rey is" and "Our daughters have been waiting for this character for two generations and now she has arrived" but it doesn't matter now, the film is a juggernaut and it doesn't rely on black American fan dollars to make it's millions. Most of us enjoyed it but didn't absolutely love it. Don't worry about how we feel about Finn.

That's your own expectation.... J.J. and everyone said NOTHING. Y'all wanted to believe something knowing damn well everything isn't what it going to be seem, or you and others was DUMB or gullible enough to believe visuals that were put out of context on purpose. You MAD because FINALLY we got trailers that don't reveal anything. It is your fault for presuming ANYTHING.

2nd of all, why should you even give a damn about a black Jedi? We HAD a black Jedi as a protagonist, we HAD a black person voicing as an iconic ANTAGONIST. What we never had was a black lead as a regular protagonist, or even a reluctant hero or even anyone coming from a STORM TROOPER perspective.

Lastly, Finn promoted as the main focal point only for a female to be the true focal point is not ANYTHING NEW when you had MAD MAX: FURY ROAD doing it in BIGGER and more blatant splash. Yet you haven't have anyone except for male chauvinists bytch about how Mad Max, the FRANCHISE lead character playing 2nd fiddle.

This is all about a lot of black people's OWN insecurity over a character that wasn't exploited by negative stereotypical racial tones, that ended up being the HEART of the film, and actually the most HUMAN with the biggest story arc. But because he's no "black Superman" just to make your own insecurity feel more secure about yourself. Y'all want to bytch about it. Dude is the NEXT Han Solo which was the BEST character in the OG trilogy...not no Luke. A REGULAR dude that was reluctant in being heroic.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I'm just hoping that "saving sad Luke" doesn't play out like "saving crazy Yoda." It's just insane how many similarities there are to the original films.

Han Solo saving Rey/Finn ala Obi Wan saving Luke from the Tusken raiders.
Kylo Ren striking down his father ala Darth Vader striking down his master Obi Wan.
Finn basically being incapacitated at the end of the movie ala Han Solo being frozen in carbonite.
Rey finding Luke ala Luke finding Yoda.

But on another note, I'm surprised a bigger deal hasn't been made about Finn being the love interest to Rey. I figured white people would be up in arms about that :heh:
this is this nikka Finn:

nwjt10x.gif

y que

Banned
Daps
You guys are missing the point. We thought we were getting a black Jedi character who would be the equal co-star of the new trilogy and the film was marketed that way. Instead we got something entirely different. It was the bait n switch that got us. Go look at how women are reacting to the film and Rey in particular. I could post a hundred articles about how "We needed this" and "What a strong independant woman Rey is" and "Our daughters have been waiting for this character for two generations and now she has arrived" but it doesn't matter now, the film is a juggernaut and it doesn't rely on black American fan dollars to make it's millions. Most of us enjoyed it but didn't absolutely love it. Don't worry about how we feel about Finn.

yall sound desperate for a role model

he was never marketed as a jedi

how is a imperial trooper a jedi?

he might be later who knows but ya'll dudes need to get over it

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
How am I deflecting? It is very clear that nikkas would have almost no problems with Finn and would have therefore liked the movie more if he was white.

You goddamn right we would've liked it more if he were "White". Why?

Ain't not goddamn WAY if Finn were white he would've taken all of those L's WITH zero payoff. He would've gotten the standard Hero's Journey THAT ALL White male protagonists get in Science Fiction/Fantasy movies.

But...let's SAY for the sake of argument he did, you still have White Rey the chosen one, white Han the older, but still dashingly heroic elder, white Leia the general and White Luke the Jedi.

Standard par for the course. These are white stories, MEANT for white viewers, the movie would've made a billion dollars without shoehorning a black actor into the bumbling, cowardly, loser role.

There was absolutely ZERO need to mismarket the movie with Finn as a heroic lead when he's any and EVERYTHING but.

shyt was despicable

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Return of the Jedi was BLATANT as well as Phantom Menace. This was a PG-13 film that showed brutal violence. Ain't nothing "kiddie" about this movie. No Ewoks. No Muppets. No Jar Jar. No Pod Racing. None of that.
nah fam...this movie was soft!!!

easily the most easy-going of all the movies.

I heard not one remotely offensive or harsh word