Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OFFICIAL THREAD)

CHL

Superstar
Daps
@Darth Humanist
when Kylo tells the Vader mask how he's drifting to the light and for him to show him something. Really wonder what's that about?!?wonder if snoke playing mind tricks with him from going back to the light side. Also Leia says snoke seduced him. They know who snoke is
Yeah same here :lupe: Definitely going to be explored in Ep 8.

They know who Snoke is but not necessarily personally or much about him.

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
Kylo still an apprentice though :shaq:
That's the only thing that makes sense.

He stunted hard in the beginning, but that was just a hapless village, and that Ginger running The Order had no problem stepping to him. Guess he has ways to go before he ready to laugh off shyt.

Him being hella emotional, and my man saying his training needed to be complete must be signs that he just wasn't ready to easily stave off Rey, who been about fending for her own life.

I got something to take into my next showing with the fam :ehh:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

He stunted hard in the beginning, but that was just a hapless village, and that Ginger running The Order had no problem stepping to him. Guess he has ways to go before he ready to laugh off shyt.

Him being hella emotional, and my man saying his training needed to be complete must be signs that he just wasn't ready to easily stave off Rey, who been about fending for her own life.

Swiggy, what do you think of my assessment? Too harsh?

They followed the template of a New Hope where they threw us into a conflict that had already begun without really explaining things. Difference between this and A New Hope was that ANH was so good at world-building that we had a better understanding of everything. It gave us just enough information for us to understand who everyone was and what the stakes were and the pacing was perfect. Force Awakens was lazy in that regard imo and the pacing was off, just seemed rushed. Should've had more scenes where we saw the inner workings of the First Order as well as the Republic. Just seemed like a lot of scenes were cut and I feel like it would've been stronger if the movie was longer.

JJ Abrams was too JJ Abramsy with the vague references and no explanations.

Rey was a confusing character. I understand they wanna add mystery regarding her origins but they're so caught up in doing this that it weakens her character and it makes it hard for the audience to relate to her struggle and motivations because we have no idea where they're coming from. We're not emotionally invested in her fear of leaving Jakku because the film never bothers to explain how she got there and what connection she has to it. It's obvious that she's extremely capable at just about everything (being a pilot, being a Jedi, etc) which makes her fear and reluctance all the more confusing

Finn's character was a mess, just kept changing his persona and motivations. First he's a coward, then he's a hero, then he's a coward again. First he's capable of holding his own then he's a damsel in distress. I actually agree with Roman Brady, Box Cutta and Ziggly now, too much of Finn's character reminded me of a bumbling, sidekick comic relief archetype. I cringed when he told Han he was a garbage man. Seems like Abrams couldn't decide to make him a capable hero or a Jar Jar Binks sidekick in constant need of saving. If you're gonna make him a weakling then don't have him go toe to toe with a dude who was trained by Luke. If you're gonna make him a badass then don't have him lose a fight to a damn stormtrooper or act shocked whenever he happens to shoot down a tie fighter.

Poe was good, but underused. With how badly they fukked up the character of Finn I'd honestly rather Poe have taken up his screentime. They both pretty much fulfilled the same purpose when it came to how they served the plot and story

Kylo was the best new character, I like how they made him angry and emotional as oppose to the emotionally detached Darth Vader(something different, finally) I didn't mind him not being as powerful as other Sith in the other films considering the fact that he was basically starting a new order of Jedi and had way less experience

Snoke was a waste to me. Have no clue who he is and he wasn't compelling enough for me to care.

Han was great, but everything great about him aside from Ford's performance was because of our prior knowledge of him. Again, lazy filmmaking by Abrams

Had mixed feelings about Kylo killing Han. Ballsy move but since I knew next to nothing about how their relationship was or why Ren turned it didn't really have the emotional impact that it could have

Honestly, this movie felt like the 2nd movie in a trilogy, rather than the first. Just so much backstory that wasn't fully explained and a lot of telling rather than showing(the whole scene with Leia talking about Kylo to Han was bad, lazy writing) I feel like showing Kylo Ren's turn to the dark side and his conflict with Luke would've made for a much more compelling movie than this

Movie relied too much on nostalgia and wasn't confident enough in its own story and characters to give us anything innovative. Yeah, the prequels sucked but at least Lucas was actually trying something different with the tone and overall feel. This was pretty much a carbon copy of A New Hope.

The things that were good were the things that I expected to be good, the dialogue, acting and the action. That was a given. The characters actually sounded like real people unlike the prequels and the humor, for the most part, wasn't too corny or forced. I just wish there was a better story to go along with it.

People are really excited right now to see a new Star Wars movie that plays on their nostalgia. But once that settles down I think you'll start to see more and more people who didn't really like this movie and the backlash, while not as intense as the Phantom Menace, will still be prominent. Right now I'd rate this a B-. Could go up or down depending on how well it holds up on repeated viewings. To be fair, I was initially underwhelmed by Creed but liked it a lot more after seeing it again, so maybe that will be the same case here. But as of now I'm pretty disappointed

CHL

Superstar
Daps

I don't think Rey is at the point where she can be as powerful as she was at the end. I think that was due to special circumstances. And Kylo was already clearly injured at that point.So considering he apparently is still being trained, he can still become Luke/Pre Vader Anakin level (as can Rey).

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
Force Awakens was all I wanted it to be and I can't wait until the next one. Got the same feeling I get when I watch the originals. I remember being a little kid watching at my Grandma Lupe house with my brother on VHS. I feel the same way I felt when I had a Darth Vader cake for my birthday. Weirdly enough I felt the same exact way when my brother had a Darth Maul cake lol. That's before we knew he'd be bad ass but the movie would suck. I still play with lightsabers. I wear the clothes. I buy the hats. I play with the toys. I have Star Wars socks and wear them on days where I wear pants. I got it inked on my skin so it's with me forever the dark and the light sides of the Force. I felt that with this movie. I laughed. I applauded. I ooh'd and I ahh'd. My heart raced like never before (except for on my wedding day it's never raced so much with excitement and nervousness lol). This was the same feeling I get when the original films clicked with me and sparked the "hey I wanna make movies. That will be my life's work." Can I rank it with the others yet? Nah too early and I've seen them a thousand times. But did I love it? Is it Star Wars enough? You bet your ass. I fell in love with all the new characters and I will remember this when I have my little mills kids running around and we watch the saga. This series of movies means the world to me and I'm glad it can continue to live on. THE FORCE HAS AWAKEN! God Bless you JJ ABRAMS

(This was my facebook post lol)

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Loved the movie.
It's my favorite SW film, but then again I only saw ANH a week ago, now I'm gonna watch the last two:blessed:
Finn was great, Rey was great, and Poe was great.
I don't see how people can claim Finn was inconsistent, his issue wasn't that he was cowardly. It was that his only resolve was literally to run from the first order, not fight against it.
Rey gave him another resolve.
Kylo Ren was a great character as well, terrifying and unstable.
His design works bestvwhen he has the cloak on though.
I wanted Chewie to destroy him.
And I love Snoke.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I was really impressed with this film...a lot of good twists and turns and some surprises.

This is coming from someone who grew up on the originals in the 80s...and saw episodes 1-3 as an adult...and without really saying much...i'll say that it hasn't been this good since the originals...

But on another note I have to say this....

Next Summer is gonna be :wow:....when I saw the 2016 previews, whoa

Everyone was hype for this Star Wars....but before that came on...they showed the the Captain America 3 trailer :wow:....then followed that up with the X Men trailer.. :wow:.then they hit us with the Independence Day trailer and I was :gladbron::dead:...the theater was a straight zoo after that.

Last edited:

CHL

Superstar
Daps
he wasn't trying to kill Rey plus he was injured and using one side . I mean when he had Rey on the edge he tried to recruit her not kill her . Also he isn't Vader, isn't fully trained plus he acts like a spoiled kid so it's possible Rey is naturally stronger and Kylo looks so good due to the fact that he was facing regular people all movie
this

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
I loved the movie. It was fantastic, definitely better than all the prequel episodes. I will say, Yauze is right, this movie almost felt like a remake of A New Hope at times. It followed the exact same plot structure. I mean, a little too closely.

The nods to the EU are much appreciated, ESPECIALLY Kylo Ren's situation. Definitely a nice touch.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Force Awakens was all I wanted it to be and I can't wait until the next one. Got the same feeling I get when I watch the originals. I remember being a little kid watching at my Grandma Lupe house with my brother on VHS. I feel the same way I felt when I had a Darth Vader cake for my birthday. Weirdly enough I felt the same exact way when my brother had a Darth Maul cake lol. That's before we knew he'd be bad ass but the movie would suck. I still play with lightsabers. I wear the clothes. I buy the hats. I play with the toys. I have Star Wars socks and wear them on days where I wear pants. I got it inked on my skin so it's with me forever the dark and the light sides of the Force. I felt that with this movie. I laughed. I applauded. I ooh'd and I ahh'd. My heart raced like never before (except for on my wedding day it's never raced so much with excitement and nervousness lol). This was the same feeling I get when the original films clicked with me and sparked the "hey I wanna make movies. That will be my life's work." Can I rank it with the others yet? Nah too early and I've seen them a thousand times. But did I love it? Is it Star Wars enough? You bet your ass. I fell in love with all the new characters and I will remember this when I have my little mills kids running around and we watch the saga. This series of movies means the world to me and I'm glad it can continue to live on. THE FORCE HAS AWAKEN! God Bless you JJ ABRAMS

(This was my facebook post lol)

I will say this is better than RETURN OF THE JEDI.. but that's just me. NOTHING will top Empire Strikes Back. So it's between this and A New Hope which this movie rehashes things from A New Hope.... A New Hope edges out a bit because it's 100% COMPLETELY original and the movie that not only jump started the franchise, but transformed movies forever. But from a TECHNICAL and PERFORMANCE aspect, this was better paced, better performed, and especially had superior dialogue which always been Lucas' weakness.