Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OFFICIAL THREAD)

CHL

Superstar
Daps
:laff:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Oh I already knew the storyline reason.

I'm talking about what is the PLOT reasoning behind this? Why end the movie in THAT way? It doesn't even sound like a natural way to end the character.

It seems kinda like a cop-out to me. They didn't want to have to deal with actually resolving whatever their relationship was meant to be, and we don't want to have to explain why he wouldn't follow her to Luke like Chewie did, so, leave him in a critical condition so we don't have to deal with it.

It reeks of a character that is a plot device.
There are ways it could work though. Perhaps Finn has a role in Episode 8 that requires him to be with the Resistance initially and not off with Rey and Luke. Perhaps he will train with Maz Kanata instead. Etc etc

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dude, the bait-and-switch isn't just focused on him not being a jedi/rey being the true heroine. Even people that didn't check spoilers knew that was going to be the case.

NOBODY had ANY CLUE that this dude was going to be just another "funny black coward". That was NEVER in any of the marketing, not ONCE. They hid that shyt for a VERY obvious reason...and sadly, based on the reviews, it seems like they are going to get away with it.

His characterization sounds exactly like what I DIDN'T want out of him.

People are comparing him to a better version of Jar Jar/C3PO.

We'll see what happens after the US release. I think that MANY Black Americans are going to be heavily disappointed in what they see.

And once again, can anyone explain the reasoning behind

I'm sure the movie is still "good". Hell, plenty of racist/problematic movies/shows are still okay (Honestly, The Walking Dead is starting to have some of these issues...and back to JJ, LOST also centered it's only black storyline on a fatherless child and irresponsible father WAAAALLLLLLLT!) So don't tell me about it's critical acclaim as some excuse for this characterization. That's bullshyt, because Gone With The Wind is a classic, and it's also got horrible racial politics. We could name 1000's of other similar movies/shows (Hell...plenty of people have critiqued even Lando's performance in Empire, although I tend to disagree).

You've seen the film already? Seems like you're really hurt by this breh, you surprised they didn't reveal the character's personality totally in the trailer? :lolbron: Are the other characters "Unfunny White Heroes"?
Especially considering dude wasn't exactly Mace Windu in the trailer either, dude looked shook in half of it. Seems like you had Coli fantasies/expectations from an JJ Abrams directed Disney produced film. :francis:

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah @Ziggiy already responded. And it seems like a lot of Finn "fans" on the coli thought he was going to be like what he was on the previews, which I don't invest too much into anyway so that's what my confusion comes from.

I didn't see what was so exiting about dude, although it seems like from what @Ziggiy posting in the spoiler to me was that dude
isn't force sensitive or a potential Jedi at all
which was somewhat deceptive marketing. But it sounds like you guys don't really like star wars at all, just wanted to see a black male lead character (which I'm not mad at all), but personally I wasn't expecting that much from him anyway in this film. :yeshrug:. I would be more hyped if they brought back Lando.

Was dude really promo'd heavily as the "lead", I always thought girl was since
she's rumored to be a skywalker
, but I refrained from all the hype with this movie; and using the black male character as a deflection from woman lead sounds like Disney.:ohhh:

we're just talking about promotion. I will see the movie, and not worried about this dude, since it was written before the actors even auditioned. But the marketing is certainly specific for market. Especially when you compare it to the international marketing. The international marketing material like posters and trailers pushed Finn to the back as not as prominent. Americans took that as racism because the black lead(He has been called a lead by Abrams and Kennedy many times) was always in the back of the poster and rarely showing up in trailers. The American materials, had lots of Finn, and Finn in a prominent spot on the posters, even with his own action poster and animated poster. Rey was always most prominent in the international marketing, while she slowly rose to the front in the American marketing, which always featured more Han Solo as the opening date got closer.

Examples:

International Poster:

the-force-awakens-international-poster.jpg

notice Finn so far back

US poster:

Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-International-Poster.jpg

Perhaps we should have noticed Finn is still a sidekick. We were too busy calling Asians racist.

Notice the lack of prominence of Finn in the International Trailer vs the American trailer

Interesting they didn't do this with Oscar Isaac. :mjpls:

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
5 more hours brehs. Avoiding spoilers felt like a 90 day fab with only Kylo's identity being spoiled :stopitslime: but thats my fault time to black out and enjoy this piff with my son then this weekend take him to see the chipmunks then sneek back in for a 2nd viewing

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
The final saber battle, complete. Foreign language, cam, I think the recorder is a cac that says "neegah" when Finn is onscreen.

But it's video, none the less.

Having seen it...I don't feel that Rey is as overpowered as others were suggesting. Ren is all fukked up by the time they fight, she lets the force in, and her moves are realistic enough to where I personally buy it....:manny:

As I've heard repeated elsewhere, the trench run looks very generic and redundant. Also, the music isn't that compelling.

Still, very nice visuals. Rey seems like cool peoples.

Edit : Another scene :

Reys vision, VERY poor quality.

Last edited:

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
interesting they didn't do this with Oscar Isaac. :mjpls:

Remember when Oscar Isaac's character was part of the "big 3" with Boyega and Ridley in the early run for the movie?

Now he's barely in the promotions and not even on the posters. It's all about Finn, Rey, BB8 & Kylo Ren now.

2015STARWARS_Trailer_4_111215.jpg

I mean, look at this shyt. Emasculated and crying like a p*ssy

What does Disney have against Guatemalans? I bet Kathleen Kennedy's coven of feminist witches cooked up this bullshyt.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
we're just talking about promotion. I will see the movie, and not worried about this dude, since it was written before the actors even auditioned. But the marketing is certainly specific for market. Especially when you compare it to the international marketing. The international marketing material like posters and trailers pushed Finn to the back as not as prominent. Americans took that as racism because the black lead(He has been called a lead by Abrams and Kennedy many times) was always in the back of the poster and rarely showing up in trailers. The American materials, had lots of Finn, and Finn in a prominent spot on the posters, even with his own action poster and animated poster. Rey was always most prominent in the international marketing, while she slowly rose to the front in the American marketing, which always featured more Han Solo as the opening date got closer.

Examples:

International Poster:

the-force-awakens-international-poster.jpg

notice Finn so far back

US poster:

Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-International-Poster.jpg

Perhaps we should have noticed Finn is still a sidekick. We were too busy calling Asians racist.

Notice the lack of prominence of Finn in the International Trailer vs the American trailer

Interesting they didn't do this with Oscar Isaac. :mjpls:

Props bruh, haven't paid a ton of attention aside from the trailers.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Props bruh, haven't paid a ton of attention aside from the trailers.

You could see once the commercials got closer to opening day, that Rey and Kylo were rising to prominence, but the
comic relief and simping stuff is way out of left field. They definitely went out of their way to hide that
. Even the most revealing spoilers didn't spell that out at all.

THASTUNNA

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South East Houston
The final saber battle, complete. Foreign language, cam, I think the recorder is a cac that says "neegah" when Finn is onscreen.

But it's video, none the less.

Having seen it...I don't feel that Rey is as overpowered as others were suggesting. Ren is all fukked up by the time they fight, she lets the force in, and her moves are realistic enough to where I personally buy it....:manny:

As I've heard repeated elsewhere, the trench run looks very generic and redundant. Also, the music isn't that compelling.

Still, very nice visuals. Rey seems like cool peoples.

:whew:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
As a Star Wars stan since as long as I can remember.....

I loved this movie :blessed: :wow:

You can nitpick the fukk out of it,there's a lot to hate if you wanna do that but I didn't give a fukk. Harrison Ford was outstanding, Stallone got some competition :wow:

Will adress spoilers and the iffy shyt in the flick in a little while.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
You could see once the commercials got closer to opening day, that Rey and Kylo were rising to prominence, but the
comic relief and simping stuff is way out of left field. They definitely went out of their way to hide that
. Even the most revealing spoilers didn't spell that out at all.
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm saying.

People keep saying "bu bu but...we knew that Rey was 'the Luke'. Sure, I mean, I read EVERY spoiler, I've known for MONTHS that this dude wasn't going to be a jedi or the true star of the movie.

What we DIDN'T know was that his characterization would be closer to Kevin Hart than Denzel. And they DID hide that, and that's fukking LAME.

I personally don't buy that this role was written without race in mind anymore. Or, at the very least, once Boyega was cast, they changed things.

This kinda explains his American accent. They truly wanted that stereotypical Martin Lawrence type, and if he spoke in his English accent, he would have been seen as "too refined" for that.

I edited in another scene, if you wanna go back and peep that as well.