Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OFFICIAL THREAD)

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjcry: This can't be life:

14 things Star Wars fans will love about The Force Awakens
4. John Boyega, generally

Finn, aka Stormtropper FN-2187, might be the single wittiest addition to the Star Wars universe since 1983 – he’s a hero (conscientious objector) and a coward (freaks out constantly), a stalwart guy and a habitual liar, both comic relief and myth in the making. Boyega nails his part with a frankly ovation-worthy grasp of what’s going to make him endearing, real, and hilarious. His sweaty panic moments are the first things to hook us concretely into the story; his fumbling curiosity about Rey is adorable; his fibs are winningly see-through; his timing’s off the hook.

I'm sure Finn will grow to be a badass in the next two films. I'm also sure that Boyega was great in the role but Driving Miss Ridley is not what I wanted out of the gate.

Wow Holy shyt. They turned dude into a real life Jar Jar Binks.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@23Stapscity @NobodyReally @Darth Humanist and a few others I, to my knowledge haven't called anyone a c00n yet in this thread, and that's mostly out of deference to the legacy of Star Wars and how emotionally connected most fans are to this material for most of us, this was the first Science Fiction Adventure we all saw. The first movie that gave us a sense of wonder and imagination. I remember when I was 6 years old and every Christmas asked my dad if we could watch "The Lightsaber Movie" so I get it.

HOWEVER

The marketing surrounding THIS movie is what I have a major problem with, and it's something I can't sweep under the rug with nastalgia. Cacs have been saving the world, the Galaxy, and all of existence since forever. A new Star Wars SEQUEL is a license to print money. The White Woman as hero trope is the most valuable commodity in Hollywood right now. They had ALL of the ingredients at their disposal to make the biggest Star Wars movie to date. There was absolutely NO NEED WHATSOEVER to "throw in" a black character and mis-market him as the new lead of the trilogy.

"Let's give the ****** a Lightsaber. Bu bu BUT... He'll be the FIRST human character to use it onscreen but NOT have the force. He's carrying it for our REAL hero"

"Let's make The ****** cowardly at first... Even though NO HERO of these movies has started off as a coward (Luke, Anikan, Obi-Wan, Padme, Han, all white, all had inner courage from the beginning) because it'll juxtapose nicely with Rey's "fierceness" and "independence"

"Let's make SURE
The ****** gets his ass beat in the climatic battle. Making it all the more dramatic when Rey, our REAL HERO, uses the Force and courageously takes on Kylo, whose supposedly been training with the force and lightsaber for YEARS. Yea that'll be exciting!"

So what the marketing, the trailers, the teasers all gave CLEAR hints to Finn being an actual HEROIC character in the vein of Stars Wars protagonist of the past, what we actually got was more akin to how black characters have been portrayed previously, as Cowards who suffer a crisis of conscience (Lando) or good guys who get their asses beat and defeated by the villain (Mace Windu).

fukk that. It's not something I'm willing to overlook THIS time. It's 2015, the time for token sidekick step n fetch black characters who are ONLY their to serve as the contrary to the heroic Cacs are over for me. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I've had my fill. I boycotted Marvel movies for the same thing when they green-lit the D-List Guardians Of The Galaxy movie while kept making (terrible) excuses for why they couldn't do Black Panther. I came back aboard the Train when they announced phase 3 WOULD have BP and that he was premiering in Civil War.

Same thing for Star Wars, except this is an even more insulting offense. They LITERALLY put in a black character, made pains to prop him up, only for him to be man-servant FNN-2187.

I'm not going to attack anyone who wants to go support the movie, have fun. Many people have waited their entire lives for this story to unfold. But for me, fukk Star Wars

Real spit.....:salute:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
Luke was a whiny reluctant bytch in A New Hope for pretty much the whole movie until he met Leia then he became an occasionally brave Whiny reluctant bytch because he was on some 'gettin dat princess booty' time then. Anakin was super whiny although never a coward, racing pods at age 10 and so forth... He did hide his marriage from fear of getting busted for violating Jedi code and he was scared as hell about losing his wife. He would also have tantrums on the regular. I can't read all this into the Finn role. JJ is a cool cat so I doubt he is on that bullshyt so if there is some dom/slave subtext going on it probably came from KK and Disney's side of it. I prefer a multifaceted black character and not a pure archetype. I think most of Finn's criticisms so far could be chalked up to how anyone would act if just thrown into the galactic civil war. We will see but the tickets are already paid for and I have heard nothing but good things outside of the dens where young disaffected white guys hang out online.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Exactly People keep ignoring that fact about Luke acting like he was John wick in ANH or something . Or didn't get washed in ESB and lose a hand . It's like since Finn isn't batman with prep time he's a c00n .

Man they only gonna post the stuff hating on Finn. @boxcutta @Ziggiy hiw come you aren't talking about the positive reviews of Finn characters from other places online ,

Some of you really need to stop being disingenuous and obtuse. The problem all the stems from the marketing. Whilst I always knew how it was going to play out due to the woman at the top who's running things, a lot of people didn't and won't :yeshrug:.

Are you going to keep pretending stuff like this isn't out there

finn-banner-poster-motion-star-wars-161785.jpg

Now he did look goofy in the first teaser, when he popped up out of nowhere. But it was toned down and shots of him using the lightsaber and hinting at him having the force had to be marketed to take the heat off a certain character and show him as the main action hero/character for males.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
I don't really wanna delve into the characterization of Finn but I'm actually more glad that they had the guts to have a black lead than anything else. We all no that he's gonna have a hand in saving the galaxy, it just seems like y'all want it to be now rather than later, and I understand that. But I can almost guarantee that he'll be the most dynamic character in the trilogy. I think him going from storm trooper to Han Solo Jr is a journey in itself. Also he can't be worse than Hayden Christensen pussifying Darth Vader. I'm just really happy that the biggest movie franchise in film history took a chance and put a black man in a lead role.