Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OFFICIAL THREAD)

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
RT some of the people are just happy to have a seat at the table
Once finn was in that was all they needed so they weren't really invested in how he was treated in the movie.
I'm confused by these statements . Finn is a brand new character made for the movie so it's not like they made blsck Panther someone's bytch this character was written to service this particular story . John got the role despite his race as it wasn't suppose to be race specific and people are acting like its some trick . This is a trilogy man even luke wasn't the same Luke at the end of ANH as he was at the end of ROTJ

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
@23Stapscity @NobodyReally @Darth Humanist and a few others I, to my knowledge haven't called anyone a c00n yet in this thread, and that's mostly out of deference to the legacy of Star Wars and how emotionally connected most fans are to this material for most of us, this was the first Science Fiction Adventure we all saw. The first movie that gave us a sense of wonder and imagination. I remember when I was 6 years old and every Christmas asked my dad if we could watch "The Lightsaber Movie" so I get it.

HOWEVER

The marketing surrounding THIS movie is what I have a major problem with, and it's something I can't sweep under the rug with nastalgia. Cacs have been saving the world, the Galaxy, and all of existence since forever. A new Star Wars SEQUEL is a license to print money. The White Woman as hero trope is the most valuable commodity in Hollywood right now. They had ALL of the ingredients at their disposal to make the biggest Star Wars movie to date. There was absolutely NO NEED WHATSOEVER to "throw in" a black character and mis-market him as the new lead of the trilogy.

"Let's give the ****** a Lightsaber. Bu bu BUT... He'll be the FIRST human character to use it onscreen but NOT have the force. He's carrying it for our REAL hero"

"Let's make The ****** cowardly at first... Even though NO HERO of these movies has started off as a coward (Luke, Anikan, Obi-Wan, Padme, Han, all white, all had inner courage from the beginning) because it'll juxtapose nicely with Rey's "fierceness" and "independence"

"Let's make SURE
The ****** gets his ass beat in the climatic battle. Making it all the more dramatic when Rey, our REAL HERO, uses the Force and courageously takes on Kylo, whose supposedly been training with the force and lightsaber for YEARS. Yea that'll be exciting!"

So what the marketing, the trailers, the teasers all gave CLEAR hints to Finn being an actual HEROIC character in the vein of Stars Wars protagonist of the past, what we actually got was more akin to how black characters have been portrayed previously, as Cowards who suffer a crisis of conscience (Lando) or good guys who get their asses beat and defeated by the villain (Mace Windu).

fukk that. It's not something I'm willing to overlook THIS time. It's 2015, the time for token sidekick step n fetch black characters who are ONLY their to serve as the contrary to the heroic Cacs are over for me. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I've had my fill. I boycotted Marvel movies for the same thing when they green-lit the D-List Guardians Of The Galaxy movie while kept making (terrible) excuses for why they couldn't do Black Panther. I came back aboard the Train when they announced phase 3 WOULD have BP and that he was premiering in Civil War.

Same thing for Star Wars, except this is an even more insulting offense. They LITERALLY put in a black character, made pains to prop him up, only for him to be man-servant FNN-2187.

I'm not going to attack anyone who wants to go support the movie, have fun. Many people have waited their entire lives for this story to unfold. But for me, fukk Star Wars

Last edited:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjcry: This can't be life:

14 things Star Wars fans will love about The Force Awakens
4. John Boyega, generally

Finn, aka Stormtropper FN-2187, might be the single wittiest addition to the Star Wars universe since 1983 – he’s a hero (conscientious objector) and a coward (freaks out constantly), a stalwart guy and a habitual liar, both comic relief and myth in the making. Boyega nails his part with a frankly ovation-worthy grasp of what’s going to make him endearing, real, and hilarious. His sweaty panic moments are the first things to hook us concretely into the story; his fumbling curiosity about Rey is adorable; his fibs are winningly see-through; his timing’s off the hook.

I'm sure Finn will grow to be a badass in the next two films. I'm also sure that Boyega was great in the role but Driving Miss Ridley is not what I wanted out of the gate.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
@23Stapscity @NobodyReally and a few others I, to my knowledge haven't called anyone a c00n yet in this thread, and that's mostly out of deference to the legacy of Star Wars and how emotionally connected most fans are to this material for most of us, this was the first Science Fiction Adventure we all saw. The first movie that gave us a sense of wonder and imagination. I remember when I was 6 years old and every Christmas asked my dad if we could watch "The Lightsaber Movie" so I get it.

HOWEVER

The marketing surrounding THIS movie is what I have a major problem with, and it's something I can't sweep under the rug with nastalgia. Cacs have been saving the world, the Galaxy, and all of existence since forever. A new Star Wars SEQUEL is a license to print money. The White Woman as hero trope is the most valuable commodity in Hollywood right now. They had ALL of the ingredients at their disposal to make the biggest Star Wars movie to date. There was absolutely NO NEED WHATSOEVER to "throw in" a black character and mis-market him as the new lead of the trilogy.

"Let's give the ****** a Lightsaber. Bu bu BUT... He'll be the FIRST human character to use it onscreen but NOT have the force. He's carrying it for our REAL hero"

"Let's make The ****** cowardly at first... Even though NO HERO of these movies has started off as a coward (Luke, Anikan, Obi-Wan, Padme, Han, all white, all had inner courage from the beginning) because it'll juxtapose nicely with Rey's "fierceness" and "independence"

"Let's make SURE
The ****** gets his ass beat in the climatic battle. Making it all the more dramatic when Rey, our REAL HERO, uses the Force and courageously takes on Kylo, whose supposedly been training with the force and lightsaber for YEARS. Yea that'll be exciting!"

So what the marketing, the trailers, the teasers all gave CLEAR hints to Finn being an actual HEROIC character in the vein of Stars Wars protagonist of the past, what we actually got was more akin to how black characters have been portrayed previously, as Cowards who suffer a crisis of conscience (Lando) or good guys who get their asses beat and defeated by the villain (Mace Windu).

fukk that. It's not something I'm willing to overlook THIS time. It's 2015, the time for token sidekick step n fetch black characters who are ONLY their to serve as the contrary to the heroic Cacs are over for me. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I've had my fill. I boycotted Marvel movies for the same thing when they green-lit the D-List Guardians Of The Galaxy movie while kept making (terrible) excuses for why they couldn't do Black Panther. I came back aboard the Train when they announced phase 3 WOULD have BP and that he was premiering in Civil War.

Same thing for Star Wars, except this is an even more insulting offense. They LITERALLY put in a black character, made pains to prop him up, only for him to be man-servant FNN-2187.

I'm not going to attack anyone who wants to go support the movie, have fun. Many people have waited their entire lives for this story to unfold. But for me, fukk Star Wars

Hey, these are all really valid points, and honestly I didn't know any of this until you posted it. I have been staying away from spoilers on purpose. If this is how it's really gonna go down, then I know I'm gonna have a problem with it too. However, I will still see this movie before bashing it and I refuse to call someone else a c00n for enjoying it. I'm a critical viewer, so I know if this plays out the way you said it will, I'm gonna critically tear it apart in my review on Friday morning. Critique does not preclude someone from enjoying something problematic though. I think we're all more complex in our thinking than to reduce it to "you're either for this or against it". For example, I hate how Django can only emerge as a hero after Schultz gets killed, and Sam Wilson's lines in Captain America "How do we know who to shoot?" and "I do everything he does, except a little slower", or the whole going-native-white-boy-saves-the-day schtick in Avatar. I can critique these movies for the way they reify the white is the best narrative and still appreciate their entertainment value.

But real talk, thanks for the heads up and laying out your argument maturely while being respectful of long term fans of the franchise.

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
@23Stapscity @NobodyReally @Darth Humanist

These disingenuous descriptions have already been debunked in this thread

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV

Finn, aka Stormtropper FN-2187, might be the single wittiest addition to the Star Wars universe since 1983 – he’s a hero (conscientious objector) and a coward (freaks out constantly), a stalwart guy and a habitual liar, both comic relief and myth in the making. Boyega nails his part with a frankly ovation-worthy grasp of what’s going to make him endearing, real, and hilarious. His sweaty panic moments are the first things to hook us concretely into the story; his fumbling curiosity about Rey is adorable; his fibs are winningly see-through; his timing’s off the hook.

I'm sure Finn will grow to be a badass in the next two films. I'm also sure that Boyega was great in the role but Driving Miss Ridley is not what I wanted out of the gate.
They didn't need to do this shyt with Han Solo in ANH

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hey, these are all really valid points, and honestly I didn't know any of this until you posted it. I have been staying away from spoilers on purpose. If this is how it's really gonna go down, then I know I'm gonna have a problem with it too. However, I will still see this movie before bashing it and I refuse to call someone else a c00n for enjoying it. I'm a critical viewer, so I know if this plays out the way you said it will, I'm gonna critically tear it apart in my review on Friday morning. Critique does not preclude someone from enjoying something problematic though. I think we're all more complex in our thinking than to reduce it to "you're either for this or against it". For example, I hate how Django can only emerge as a hero after Schultz gets killed, and Sam Wilson's lines in Captain America "How do we know who to shoot?" and "I do everything he does, except a little slower", or the whole going-native-white-boy-saves-the-day schtick in Avatar. I can critique these movies for the way they reify the white is the best narrative and still appreciate their entertainment value.

But real talk, thanks for the heads up and laying out your argument maturely while being respectful of long term fans of the franchise.

I'm still debating whether I want to pay for this but calling anyone a c00n over Star Wars is ridiculous. We'd all be c00ns for watching The Walking Dead or pretty much 90% of movies or TV shows that have stereotypical depictions of black characters.

I just went to the premier of the Hateful 8 and I've never felt that uncomfortable being black in a movie theater before. Star Wars should be easy.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

It fits his the character of a guy who was raised only to be in the first order and was part of something horrific now working with the other side and not wanting to admit to that . He has to grow into being a hero and that's fine wit me its a common story .
@23Stapscity @NobodyReally @Darth Humanist and a few others I, to my knowledge haven't called anyone a c00n yet in this thread, and that's mostly out of deference to the legacy of Star Wars and how emotionally connected most fans are to this material for most of us, this was the first Science Fiction Adventure we all saw. The first movie that gave us a sense of wonder and imagination. I remember when I was 6 years old and every Christmas asked my dad if we could watch "The Lightsaber Movie" so I get it.

HOWEVER

"Let's make SURE

fukk that. It's not something I'm willing to overlook THIS time. It's 2015, the time for token sidekick step n fetch black characters who are ONLY their to serve as the contrary to the heroic Cacs are over for me
. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I've had my fill. I boycotted Marvel movies for the same thing when they green-lit the D-List Guardians Of The Galaxy movie while kept making (terrible) excuses for why they couldn't do Black Panther. I came back aboard the Train when they announced phase 3 WOULD have BP and that he was premiering in Civil War.

Smh have you never seen a movie before man . One he's a new character and so he doesn't have to be in the vein of every other character , 2 he shows courage but he doesn't have to be batman to be a hero . Your idea of heroism is antiquated and that's your problem ! Racism still exists we all know that but your really overreacting . Finn has been shown running , asking are we really doing this , saying he has nothing to fight for and looking scared as well as using a light saber and looking brave which is how he seems to be portrayed . It's a trilogy and if Finn never grows anymore that's another story but calm down man you jumped to conclusions and are now mad that they wrote a different story than you wanted .

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm still debating whether I want to pay for this but calling anyone a c00n over Star Wars is ridiculous. We'd all be c00ns for watching The Walking Dead or pretty much 90% of movies or TV shows that have stereotypical depictions of black characters.

I just went to the premier of the Hateful 8 and I've never felt that uncomfortable being black in a movie theater before. Star Wars should be easy.
Brehs post some spoilers of 8 in that thread

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

:patrice:Oh shyt...what did QT do now? I was looking forward to that one....what made you uncomfortable exactly?

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
So, if boyega wasn't casted we'd all be complaining about how there are no black lead characters now we have a black lead character in the biggest movie franchise ever and now based on rumors or spoilers his character traits aren't to some folks idea of how his fictional character should be? You all really think Boyega isn't going to have any heroic moments or moments of bravery? How about you save criticism for once you actually see the movie? just chill the fukk out. I understand being angry at the marketing if Finn is not force sensitive but I have a suspicion there is something more there. I'm trying to understand why a normal human would be wielding a lightsaber, at the very least Boyega is going to get trained how to wield a saber by Luke