"Star Trek Beyond" Official thread

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Watched the trailer, and then read the spoilers on another site. How anybody could sit through that nonsense without having the uncontrollable urge to vomit on anything and everyone within 5 feet is beyond me. Some space kumbaya bull sh!t with a United Nations We are the World backdrop.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Watched the trailer, and then read the spoilers on another site. How anybody could sit through that nonsense without having the uncontrollable urge to vomit on anything and everyone within 5 feet is beyond me. Some space kumbaya bull sh!t with a United Nations We are the World backdrop.
Wow friend sounds like you have a very educated and versed view of this film, I will definitely take your opinion into account.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I liked it. Felt more like Trek than that disappointing 2nd movie with that bargain basement Khan they snuck in there.
Also enjoyed that every member of the bridge crew got to shine a bit and they introduced an interesting female character that can be added to the main cast moving forward.
Plus Lin's directing style was an improvement over Abrams. His use of distinctive camera angles added a more kinetic energy to the film.
The villain was not as good as I hoped considering they cast Idris Elba in the role but he wasn't terrible either.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Didn't care much for it. I feel that in their attempts to make this mainstream friendly they killed off so much of the unique appeal that makes Star Trek Star Trek, and the result (like the first one) is a decent scifi blockbuster. I figured with Justin Lin on board the action scenes would be better but a lot of them were way too hard to follow, but like @Jello Biafra says above he plays with camera angles a lot in a way that brings a whole new (occasionally disorienting) dynamic to the fray.

Also, you're kinda reminded this is a movie by the director who revived the F&F franchise because in one scene they explode an entire hive of alien enemy ships with a Beastie Boys song.:laff:

Another random note: I had to look up the chick that played Jaylah afterwards and she also played the chick in Kingsman with the blade legs (and plays the Mummy in the upcoming The Mummy reboot), she's definitely a star in the making.

Last but not least I really don't have anything else of importance to say about this generic, by-the-numbers blockbuster outside of the fact I enjoy Karl Urban in this series so much I can't understand how this role hasn't boosted his career more.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Just saw it. Very enjoyable and a pleasant surprise from the god awful trailers.

The Beastie Boys sequence was really fun. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I give it a 8.5/10. Krall's motivations were weak as hell and nothing more than a tired remix of the villains from the first and second movies. Idris Elba elevated the role as best he could. He's like Denzel in the sense that he really never turns in a bad performance, no matter how weak the character is written.

My favorite remains the 2009 Trek but this is a close second

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Star Trek review: putting the criticism n the movie is not a solution, still episodic, still no one wants 2 b da bad guy 3/5

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
So your gimmick is to hate everything :patrice:? :manny:still going to see it
VGalNfy_zpsf1kryjub.png

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
My homie wants to see this later, but I hate star trek. Always been lame to me but I might just go to get out of the crib tonight. Is this shyt worth it? :snoop:
Suicide Squad needs to get here. :mjcry:

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Been a fan of Trek all my life and felt this was better than the first nuTrek by a far margin. They paid respect to the OG timeline in a number of ways that I won't spoil, but it really worked in my opinion.

The characters in this film felt organic compared to them trying to be caricatures of the OG crew. TOS always got into hiking and it was a perfect blend of action, science, comedy, and adventure, so def worth seeing it.

As for the big baddy, not surprising and hit on some real shyt...

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
streamin a crisp clear copy on my chromecast right now....fukk a theater....wil critique when done.....

edit*

movie was meh....still a fan of the first one...2 and 3 were lackluster....

sometimes i wonder why they even bother to repair the enterprise.....shyt stay gettin raped...:damn:

Last edited: