"Star Trek Beyond" Official thread

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
theyd been friends for like 20 years by time wrath of khan came along tho

Which is why that scene in khan works and doesn't work when you pantomime it. There are other ways to have them form their friendship in this movie. And even after the first one the narrative of this shouldn't have been that they're becoming friends or need big moments to solidify it. That's just bad writing

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I enjoyed it. The first big action scene came quickly and it's huge. It actually felt like the end/climax of most action movies, which was kinda crazy. Like the whole time, I was wondering where in the hell they could go from there, because it was that epic. It was also risky, because front loading that much action in the first twenty minutes could have made everything that came after feel anticlimactic. I think their risk paid off. The movie remained engaging for the most part. It did start to feel a bit long towards the end, but by then you're really invested in finding out why the hell the villain is doing what he's doing. By the way, Idris Elba as Krall surprised me. I didn't really see the cast list going in, so I wasn't expecting him. He played his role well, however
I honestly felt uncomfortable with a black man being portrayed as ex-military/captain of a federation ship who then turns against the federation. His rationale that the federation had abandoned him and his crew and were the enemy was just too eerily close to what's going on with Dallas and Baton Rouge. I know this was filmed way before those events, but it was just too close for me. I really hated sitting in a theatre with a bunch of white folks seeing another image of a black man gone rogue and crazy against the government he once served. But maybe that was just me. The person I went with didn't see that at all.
Aside from that, I thought the writing was pretty tight, and the pacing was good, and there was a good balance of humor with angst and action. I really enjoyed the cast, and character development they were giving Kirk and Spock. I also really enjoyed Uhura, Scotty, and Bones, and it was nice to see Mr. Sulu get some shine. I really wasn't feeling the alien girl at all at first (her acting felt forced), but she grew on me by the end and her chemistry with Scotty was well played.

While I enjoyed it though, I wouldn't rush out and see it again because of the length, or at least how long it feels. But overall, I give this two thumbs up.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I forgot

My theater had less then 30 people (out of 300+ seats) in it, on opening day. Of course I don't live in the US but I felt that was really shocking.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Ok mostly playing in 3D
Should I watch in standard format, 3D or 3D imax?

Avatar was the only movie in history that I enjoyed in 3D

Thoughts???

Bobhoward

Baseball Ready
Daps
Ok mostly playing in 3D
Should I watch in standard format, 3D or 3D imax?

Avatar was the only movie in history that I enjoyed in 3D

Thoughts???

2D.

I'll only ever do 3D if it's something specifically designed to see in 3D.. Avatar, Gravity... 3D in these regular blockbusters is pointless and IMO detracts from the movie

Bobhoward

Baseball Ready
Daps
I'm visiting NYC but went and checked this out.. There were like 10 people in this big ass auditorium :yeshrug:

Movie was great though, best of the Kelvin timeline movies. Some nitpicky stuff and some blockbuster tropes but it's a strong 8/10

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
2D.

I'll only ever do 3D if it's something specifically designed to see in 3D.. Avatar, Gravity... 3D in these regular blockbusters is pointless and IMO detracts from the movie
Tell me about it..
Why do cinemas have so many 3D movie times for non-3D movies....
Even more 3D movie times for 2D movies than 2D times.

So annoying & stupid.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I forgot

My theater had less then 30 people (out of 300+ seats) in it, on opening day. Of course I don't live in the US but I felt that was really shocking.

Maybe everyone else in your village was watching Rams :troll: