Sony's "Playstation Now" Service announcement

Uri

Propane and propane accessories.
Daps
Reppin
Indio, CA
http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5284294/sony-announces-playstation-now-cloud-gaming

DSC_0774_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

The PlayStation 4 may not be the most important part of Sony's gaming strategy anymore. Sony has just announced PlayStation Now, a service that will bring streaming PlayStation games not only to PS4, but also PS3, PlayStation Vita, and even televisions, tablets, and smartphones.
It appears to be the company's public-facing brand for Gaikai, the cloud gaming technology it purchased in June of 2012, which the company previously said would bring PS3 games to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita later this year. Sony says the technology is already working here at CES, with attendees able to try critically acclaimed action title The Last of Us here in Vegas. Sony will launch a closed beta in the United States at the end of the month, and plans to roll out the service more broadly by the end of this summer.
"The tethers that have constrained consumption for decades... soon dissolve," said Sony CEO Kaz Hirai.

Gaikai works on practically any device — even smartphones — because the games don't actually run locally at all. Cloud gaming services work more like a YouTube video, where powerful servers in remote data centers actually run the games, and stream compressed video frames of that game running to your local devices. They send the input from your touchscreen or game controller to the cloud. It doesn't necessarily require an extremely fast internet connection, but it does require one with very low latency, so that the time between you pressing a button, and the time you see the reaction, is as short as possible.
Originally, Gaikai only streamed PC games to the web and to televisions, racking up deals with Samsung and LG to bring games like The Witcher 2 to their devices, but when Sony nabbed the technology it apparently figured out a way to have those servers emulate legacy PlayStation 3 titles as well. We haven't yet heard how, but it's one way to run PS3 games on PS4. Right now, games from previous PlayStation systems don't work if you stick them in the PS4's disc drive.
We also haven't yet heard how Sony plans to charge for cloud gaming — whether PlayStation Now will be a subscription service, or require you to buy games, or whether it will just serve up demos. Gaikai's original business pitch was merely as a way to get a taste of a game before you buy it normally, and Gaikai CEO David Perry appeared to echo that sentiment when he appeared on the Sony stage last February. :ohhh: :blessed:

:ohhh:

:banderas:

:to:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Everybody with a PS4 doesn't have a PS3.
Everybody with a PS4 might not have ever had a PS3.
People that don't intend on buying a PS3 or PS4 can play PS3 titles if they have a Bravia TV.

It's not rocket science why people may be interested in this.

:what: did you not read my post?

I said this would be good for people who don't have Sony consoles. But 99% of us here have owned/do own a ps3. Which is why the faux excitement for this service is laughable.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I said this would be good for people who don't have Sony consoles. But 99% of us here have owned/do own a ps3. Which is why the faux excitement for this service is laughable.
You still don't get it numbskull. Everybody here may not STILL OWN a PS3 and even then the ability to play PS1-3 GAMES STREAMED TO A VITA/TABLET OR TV opens up more ways to game. :snoop: 99% of people here still own a PS2 still huh? How about PS1??
:snoop:

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You still don't get it numbskull. Everybody here may not STILL OWN a PS3 and even then the ability to play PS1-3 GAMES STREAMED TO A VITA/TABLET OR TV opens up more ways to game. :snoop: 99% of people here still own a PS2 still huh? How about PS1??

Not only that, even if they DID own a PS3, who's to say they have enough HDMI ports for a 3 and 4, or they even want to have both in their entertainment center?

Meach isn't making sense, as usual. He needs to just admit he's furious and keep it moving.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

There are plenty of Xbots on here who've never played one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time in The Last of Us :wow:

They now have an avenue to do so, despite them being Xbots

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not only that, even if they DID own a PS3, who's to say they have enough HDMI ports for a 3 and 4, or they even want to have both in their entertainment center?

Meach isn't making sense, as usual. He needs to just admit he's furious and keep it moving.
Good point. My PS3 has been d/c since I got my PS4. I let my cousin borrow it to play Fifa 14 since he wasn't able to get a PS4 yet.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

:comeon: the people in here with the most excitement are also the same people who have much better avenues to play these games. Including yourself :ufdup:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

So just to avoid switching hdmi ports. You'd pay for inferior versions of games you already have, or could get dirt cheap?

Sony stans :heh:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:comeon: the people in here with the most excitement are also the same people who have much better avenues to play these games. Including yourself :ufdup:
:what: So you basically saying you're a psychic and you know everyone's setup right now? Yea man what the hell is wrong with us, why the hell should I want to stream PS2 games to my Vita when I can just go buy a rare PS3 or PS2 with the games and hook it up to my TV. The fukk is wrong with us :rudy: