Soccer Player: “When you make it out of Africa, your family expects you to support everyone!”

Babymama Magnet

All Star
Daps
This ain't an African thing...this happens with people all over the globe.
You’re right. I’ve seen all groups send money back home to help support family but I’ve also seen these same groups send money back home so that money sent can be invested in setting up businesses or something long term for the community.

In my gf case she was sending money back home so that they could be more comfortable, not that they would use the money for a bigger purpose.

97Pac

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Seen this happen with my ex who was Nigerian. First person in her family to graduate and is working a decent job as a nurse.
Her grown older sister who has a husband and a kid (now 2 kids) back in Africa was expecting her to send money every month to help provide for not only her but her husband and children too.
Her younger brother who lives in the UK and is studying also expected her to help support him financially (I don’t think he was working)
As a single woman with no dependents she was out here financially supporting grown people and I asked her why?
She said it was expected in her culture.

Like people here have already said when you live in the west people think your rich and will despise you for not (and let’s call it what it is) looking after them even though they’re grown and able bodied.
I don't understand how a grown man can be ok with his wife calling and begging other people for money.

Money should flow down not up or sideways. That money should be for your kids.

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
People have no clue tbh.

My father sent money back to his island(St.kitts) family very rarely, but tbh mostly everyone is doing well so there wasn't a real need.

But I've got Jamaican friends who did get that pressure n it's draining to see as a witness.

Barrels, bins n money.
Same in Belize. I have my cousins machete my grass every month for cash. You think they do it? Nope.

I rather teach a man to fish. I’d buy a family farm, have a few people show my family how to tend to it and that’s it. You want money, tend to the farm and sell the crops.

Have the bum husbands and boyfriends figure out how to make bread from the farm.

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
So rich brehs marry white so they don't have to pay black tax twice

200w.webp

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I'd be like sadio mane. It's better to give than receive. If I ever make it big my fam is eating

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I couldn't live in the lap of luxury and buy overpriced European goods while my extended family struggle to make ends meet. The price of a Ferrari will hold a family down for a decade in Africa...it can pay for a state of the art facilities in a school etc

BUT I will not be exploited and I definitely won't be blackmailed :childplease:. Sounds like he was dealing with some bullshyt. He needed to have parameters and rules... Not a never ending gravy train

Africa’s a fukking continent not country.