Soccer Player: “When you make it out of Africa, your family expects you to support everyone!”

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
I mean this happens to regular non famous people also. There's a thing where people think because your in America we are all well off. There's an expectation to send money back home to support your family however they have no clue or just dont belive that not every American is rich. My family been sending money back home to Africa for years every month to take care of uncles and aunts. I get they got it bad and are stuck with limited opportunities but it's a strain nonetheless.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I couldn't live in the lap of luxury and buy overpriced European goods while my extended family struggle to make ends meet. The price of a Ferrari will hold a family down for a decade in Africa...it can pay for a state of the art facilities in a school etc

BUT I will not be exploited and I definitely won't be blackmailed :childplease:. Sounds like he was dealing with some bullshyt. He needed to have parameters and rules... Not a never ending gravy train
No what if they take that money and go buy overpriced European goods :patrice:

not everyone is responsible with money. Some will definitely use it for fukk shyt. He isn’t responsible for them.

You can’t save everybody :manny:

ajnapoleon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I couldn't live in the lap of luxury and buy overpriced European goods while my extended family struggle to make ends meet. The price of a Ferrari will hold a family down for a decade in Africa...it can pay for a state of the art facilities in a school etc

BUT I will not be exploited and I definitely won't be blackmailed :childplease:. Sounds like he was dealing with some bullshyt. He needed to have parameters and rules... Not a never ending gravy train
Breh you sound crazy

Money can run out

A lot of people don’t understand money

Taxes fees agents

You get triple taxed if your really think about it

I will help close family maybe set up a few million depending on what I got but that’s it

This happens so much to us here im the states too

I have a feeling that’s what happened to master P

Remember that rant he went on saying he not the family ATM?

But there was entire think pieces on a imaginary cousin of Jay-Z

It’s crazy

Umoja

Veteran
Daps

African families take the piss.

There's a reason why Rio, whose family is from St Lucia, is somewhat surprised. There's expecting help and then there is expecting to be in complete control of the finances whilst the person who is making the money is given an allowance.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean this happens to regular non famous people also. There's a thing where people think because your in America we are all well off. There's an expectation to send money back home to support your family however they have no clue or just dont belive that not every American is rich. My family been sending money back home to Africa for years every month to take care of uncles and aunts. I get they got it bad and are stuck with limited opportunities but it's a strain nonetheless.

Facts they think you living in America or England means you're a millionaire, the worst part is the money you send back home can also be squandered and they expect you to keep doing it, I've had to stop sending money to certain family members for this reason.

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
That goes for a lot of minority professionals, in and out of sports.....the big earners usually are expected to provide

You think Lebron James wasn't expected to take care of family...and I am sure his wife's family too

Cousins etc.....the key isn't giving them money I would think...give them jobs on your team AND MAKE SURE THEY DO IT

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
No what if they take that money and go buy overpriced European goods :patrice:

not everyone is responsible with money

That's a good point. That's why I said you need to have rules and parameters. I certainly wouldn't be paying for shyt I'm denying myself. I'm talking paying for schooling etc

Babymama Magnet

All Star
Daps
Seen this happen with my ex who was Nigerian. First person in her family to graduate and is working a decent job as a nurse.
Her grown older sister who has a husband and a kid (now 2 kids) back in Africa was expecting her to send money every month to help provide for not only her but her husband and children too.
Her younger brother who lives in the UK and is studying also expected her to help support him financially (I don’t think he was working)
As a single woman with no dependents she was out here financially supporting grown people and I asked her why?
She said it was expected in her culture.

Like people here have already said when you live in the west people think your rich and will despise you for not (and let’s call it what it is) looking after them even though they’re grown and able bodied.

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Seen this happen with my ex who was Nigerian. First person in her family to graduate and is working a decent job as a nurse.
Her grown older sister who has a husband and a kid (now 2 kids) back in Africa was expecting her to send money every month to help provide for not only her but her husband and children too.
Her younger brother who lives in the UK and is studying also expected her to help support him financially (I don’t think he was working)
As a single woman with no dependents she was out here financially supporting grown people and I asked her why?
She said it was expected in her culture.

Like people here have already said when you live in the west people think your rich and will despise you for not (and let’s call it what it is) looking after them even though they’re grown and able bodied.
fukk that.

This is why people come here and will lie cheat and steal and undermine to get ahead for that all mighty dollar. That’s sick.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
My line is don't ask me for anything you can't give me in return. If I can't go to family for money then I can't be the bank. Only ask of me what you can give yourself. Otherwise our relationship will always be lop sided.

:troll:

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
First person in her family to graduate and is working a decent job as a nurse.
I can’t understand how not only as a man, but as a husband, how you can not feel emasculated letting someone else provide for your family? No less your sister in law.

I understand why so many immigrants cut off their family when they make it out. It’s one thing to help them out, but leeching is completely wrong.

You’ve got a whole grown ass man asking for money? I have too much pride to ever do that. I’d rather die on my feet than live on my knees.