Soccer Player: “When you make it out of Africa, your family expects you to support everyone!”

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
This definitely isn’t a black/African/Caribbean thing and tbh, it’s not necessarily a poverty thing either.

It’s definitely something with the parents of the millennial generation. I know several people (across ethnicities) that have tension with their parents because they’re treated like piggy bank.

I’m earning very good money and before I bought my house, I had to give a lot of money to my parents several times for whatever reasons (and they earn very good money too). The moment I didn’t give money with a smile and a nod, it started fracturing our relationship because they would start saying things to make me feel like I’m a bad person.

I even know a girl that moved out her parents house because they were making her pay for everything and then had the cheek to say she still needs to give them a monthly contribution even though she doesn’t live there anymore :scust:
Tbh, this moreso seems like a parental quality problem than anything.

I'd say good parents would do what they can to ensure their children's success, ie not being a drain on them unless straits are dire.

Selfish people tend to make selfish parents and you see how that shakes out in the above situations.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Tbh, this moreso seems like a parental quality problem than anything.

I'd say good parents would do what they can to ensure their children's success, ie not being a drain on them unless straits are dire.

Selfish people tend to make selfish parents and you see how that shakes out in the above situations.

Facts. If my children became rich, I’m not expecting them to “pay me back” for raising them because I already did my job by raising them to be successful. I’d encourage them to be responsible with their money to ensure they (and their kids) can live comfortably.

The same people expecting the successful child to look after everyone are the same people that will look down on that child when they don’t have enough money to set their own kids up for success because funds are low.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
This definitely isn’t a black/African/Caribbean thing and tbh, it’s not necessarily a poverty thing either.

It’s definitely something with the parents of the millennial generation. I know several people (across ethnicities) that have tension with their parents because they’re treated like piggy bank.

I’m earning very good money and before I bought my house, I had to give a lot of money to my parents several times for whatever reasons (and they earn very good money too). The moment I didn’t give money with a smile and a nod, it started fracturing our relationship because they would start saying things to make me feel like I’m a bad person.

I even know a girl that moved out her parents house because they were making her pay for everything and then had the cheek to say she still needs to give them a monthly contribution even though she doesn’t live there anymore :scust:

You have to view yourself like the CEO and treat it as such.

The moment family starts asking you for money is the moment they have contractually agreed and stipulated that you are now the CEO NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Then you concoct the long term personal improvement plan and personal financial business plan with them having to meet targets and deadlines. And if this agreement is BROKEN or cannot be met then the agreement is now NULL & VOID.

Doing it this way ABSOLVES you of guilt as you have tried to not only help them but also improve them and even went as far to even put a plan in place for them to achieve this. If it doesn't work out it's on them NOT you :yeshrug:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
You have to view yourself like the CEO and treat it as such.

The moment family starts asking you for money is the moment they have contractually agreed and stipulated that you are now the CEO NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Then you concoct the long term personal improvement plan and personal financial business plan with them having to meet targets and deadlines. And if this agreement is BROKEN or cannot be met then the agreement is now NULL & VOID.

Doing it this way ABSOLVES you of guilt as you have tried to not only help them but also improve them and even went as far to even put a plan in place for them to achieve this. If it doesn't work out it's on them NOT you :yeshrug:

Whilst I agree, parental pride would make this extremely difficult to implement. Could you imagine the reaction from most parents if their kids put them on a development plan with regular checkpoints to determine if they can get money when they ask? :heh:

I’ve found it easier to just say no and accept the backlash. I’ve got a house, a girl and we plan to have kids. Can’t save for the future if you’re paying off the past.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
Sandy Point/Dieppe Bay bloodline represent!

And idk man.

My Jamaican friends I referenced be having STRIFE at times when things get lean for them up here.

Old Road Set over here :wow:

Stayed in Dieppe Bay couple years back, real interesting vibe.

I feel like we have to deal with entitlement and strife but their traditions & expectations are higher.

We can tell them to kick rocks and for the most part, not face that same level of backlash.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Could you imagine the reaction from most parents if their kids put them on a development plan with regular checkpoints to determine if they can get money when they ask? :heh:

That's why I said the moment they want you to become their financial sponsor is the very moment they have agreed that YOU'RE the CEO and whatever you say GOES. All that "parental pride" stuff and whatever they think is now irrelevant.

If you want access to my bank then you're gonna follow the agreements and stipulations my bank outlines :yeshrug:

Manny2828

Pro
Daps
I deadass want to know why so many African soccer brehs marry white? You don’t see this with Arab, Asian or South American players, they all fukk with women from their countries. As soon as these nikkas make it to the big leagues it’s like they sign a contract getting with a snow bunny

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
I deadass want to know why so many African soccer brehs marry white? You don’t see this with Arab, Asian or South American players, they all fukk with women from their countries. As soon as these nikkas make it to the big leagues it’s like they sign a contract getting with a snow bunny
There’s a Santa Clause in their contract apparently. Dreaming of a white Christmas. :mjpls:

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Mikel's father was kidnapped twice. He had to pay the ransom both times.

Mikel setup a trucking business for his father. Who pissed it up a wall.

He set up several businesses for some many family members that they all run into the ground. His older bro was a goalkeeper for a lower league team where he would be driving luxury cars to training and letting the coaching staff know that they can't tell him shyt because his brother has money and he's playing for a top club.
His older brother could not keep a club. Kept going from club to club till he couldn't get a club anymore. He has been extorted by family so much it's ridiculous. I don't blame him for complaining.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Mikel's father was kidnapped twice. He had to pay the ransom both times.

Mikel setup a trucking business for his father. Who pissed it up a wall.

He set up several businesses for some many family members that they all run into the ground. His older bro was a goalkeeper for a lower league team where he would be driving luxury cars to training and letting the coaching staff know that they can't tell him shyt because his brother has money and he's playing for a top club.
His older brother could not keep a club. Kept going from club to club till he couldn't get a club anymore. He has been extorted by family so much it's ridiculous. I don't blame him for complaining.
Hasn’t s similar situation happened to Pogba recently IIRC?

concise

Veteran
Daps
His older bro was a goalkeeper for a lower league team where he would be driving luxury cars to training and letting the coaching staff know that they can't tell him shyt because his brother has money and he's playing for a top club.

This is crazy. :wtf:

:laff:

3:30

Thread Killer
Daps
Reppin
3:30
Make it out of the Garden of Eden brehs

Maybe his situation is what you referring to OP

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
It's multiple things. Often times they are in a place where those women are the majority, those kinds of women are literally pushed on them by their peers (even non-black peers), and those women really go hard in pursuing these guys, let alone rich brehs. Those are the strongest factors among some others that come to mind.