So we all agree Metal Gear Solid is the GOAT videogame franchise?

nairdas

I've Destroyed Whole Planets
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Naw. None of the sequels lived up to the first one, but thinking about it now that's a near impossible feat. Mgs1 was too damn good.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Naw. None of the sequels lived up to the first one, but thinking about it now that's a near impossible feat. Mgs1 was too damn good.
Nah. MGS 3 was just as good if not better than part 1. Part 2 I didn't finish but it seems to have been divisive in some think it's the best and some think it's the worst(Worst as in still amazing but worst compared to other MGS.) 4 critically was acclaimed by fans and critics but the vocal minority who hated it speak the most about it thus it having that stigma online as being the worst one. V right now is :wow: but I'm sure it'll have some detractors who go on and on about it not being "Metal Gear" enough which from what I played is ridiculous in of itself.

nairdas

I've Destroyed Whole Planets
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah. MGS 3 was just as good if not better than part 1. Part 2 I didn't finish but it seems to have been divisive in some think it's the best and some think it's the worst(Worst as in still amazing but worst compared to other MGS.) 4 critically was acclaimed by fans and critics but the vocal minority who hated it speak the most about it thus it having that stigma online as being the worst one. V right now is :wow: but I'm sure it'll have some detractors who go on and on about it not being "Metal Gear" enough which from what I played is ridiculous in of itself.
I can't ride with you on 3 being just as good as the first one. Story and characterization wasn't nearly as good. Mgs3 never absorbed me into it like mgs1 did.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Son there was shyt being done with Metal Gear Solid that hadn't been done with gaming before it. That shyt was literally groundbreaking for video games and to have lived thru that >>>>>> anything Mass Effect related.
Metal Gear Solid is mostly long winded cut scenes and stealth segments. I'd argue that Splinter Cell is a better pure stealth series. If you don't like the story of Metal Gear or the long cut scenes you probably won't like the series. Metal Gear has always been more on an interactive movie than a game.

Please tell me one experience in Metal Gear that tops the tension created playing the suicide mission the first time through.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I love Metal Gear Solid 4 as an interactive movie. I think it's pathetic as a game. There's like 2 chapters or solid gameplay and the rest of the gameplay is pretty much stitched together and half assed. One chapter you follow a guy around the next is back at shadow moses in a mostly empty level and the last chapter is pretty minimal. the boss fights were a blast and I liked the story.

Ze Pequeno

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Lost Angels
lol @ Splinter Cell

But we all know Zelda is the goat:youngsabo:

That first time you pulled the master sword outta that stone i OOT.:gladbron:

The first time you transformed into a Goron in Majoras Mask.:ooh:

Wind waker looking like it was gonna dissapoint but turned out to be top 3 Zelda game ever.:mjcry:

Gerudo Valley:shaq:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Metal Gear Solid is mostly long winded cut scenes and stealth segments. I'd argue that Splinter Cell is a better pure stealth series. If you don't like the story of Metal Gear or the long cut scenes you probably won't like the series. Metal Gear has always been more on an interactive movie than a game.

Please tell me one experience in Metal Gear that tops the tension created playing the suicide mission the first time through.
The only games in the series that was like that was part 4 and to a lesser extent part 2. Metal Gear Solid 1 was alotta gameplay. shyt. The VR Missions alone gameplay wise >>>> whatever u talkin bout.
And shyt. In the first Metal Gear Solid when u had to beat Pyscho Mantis by putting the controller in slot 2 so he couldn't read ur mind. The shyt making it seem like ur inputs are switching. It's just certain shyt that wasn't done before. U had the read the back of the box in the promo pics to get the right codec. Get rid of bombs placed in ur inventory before u blow up.
Literally unique GAMEPLAY and storytelling is what made it stand out in the first place. There was NOTHING like it before it. nikkas could talk about Splinter Cell all they want. But those games never got u involved with the characters like Metal Gear did. And built off and knocked off of what Metal Gear started.

Last edited:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
As a series Mass Effect doesn't have a single bad game.
Yeah, but that's only a trilogy.

You could say that the first FIVE metal gear games were great.

It's my favorite series of all time even after how bad MGS4 really is. That game was terrible.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
First off you need to re read what I actually wrote.

Secondly I'm playing through The Metal Gear Solid Legacy, which has 7 main MG games and VR missions. Before this Legacy set I had only played Metal Gear on Nintendo as a kid in 88 and Ground Zeros. So I bought the Legacy edition a few weeks ago to catch up on the series and end it off by playing Metal Gear Solid V when I'm done with the Legacy Set.

Right now I've played the MSX versions of Metal Gear 1 and 2 and I'm currently in the middle of Metal Gear Solid. So far the series has been great. When I'm done with the series I'll rank it accordingly. As for NOW, I rank GTA, Hitman and Splinter Cell as the best since I've played all those games(sans GTA 1& 2 and Hitman 1 on PC) in the series.
What I'm saying is u can't properly rank a series if u haven't beat like ANY of the iconic games in it bro. Why wouldn't u just say u won't rate it till then? U can't put any games over it yet seeing as u haven't finished it yet.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Im beginning to understand why companies like activision shyt on gamers on the regular.

Its because heads think games like fukkING SPLINTER CELL and mass effect are better than ANY of the mgs games.

God damnit what is wrong with some of you.

P.s. There have been some real fukkin shytty final fantasy turds...
Not everyone is going to share the same opinion, please don't sit there and try to act like the gameplay in MGS4 was anything special...that game was garbage. If it didn't have the MGS name + characters the shyt would have rated 6/10 across the board. It just shows you how much reviewers don't really mean much at the end of the day.

10/10 for MGS4 :mjlol:

teacher

All Star
Daps
I'd say it's second to Zelda...but that isn't a slight in anyway shape or form

• Dap
Reactions: Ns

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Mass effect....the game where everyone was promised that their choices would completely change the outcome of the story only to find out that no matter what you did you got the same mediocre ending everyone else did. It was a good game but doesn't belong in the same conversation as Metal Gear. I could see GTA in the same conversation though. Splinter cell is another one that piggy backed on the foundation built by Metal Gear but could never seriously compete. It was fun, just not as good.
You're focused on the ending of a game. I'm talking about the actual games. I get that people are bitter about how things ended but Mass Effect doesn't have a single bad game in it's series. 2 and 3 are among the best games especially WRPGs ever made. You can go on Metacritic right now and they go blow for blow with the best ratings Metal Gear has produced.

Lastly your experiences did change based on the decisions you made. There are portions of the games you wouldn't experience if you didn't make certain choices.
When fallout drops ain't nobody gonna be playing this shyt :blessed:
I would put Fallout up there but it only really has two games in it's current style.