So this was the worst Hollywood Summer since 1992

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
going to the movies is expensive and many of these movies aren't must see right away.

I've only seen two movie sin the theater this year fast and furious and spiderman, i can wait 4-5 months for the blu ray rip

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Yeah i'm sure the 2 remaining 96 year olds from Dunkirk couldn't wait to see this story on the big screen. :nolan:

Be real breh most Americans had no clue of this event in history and the reason it was a huge success is Nolan.

Every movie of his the past 15 years has cleared 100 mil worldwide, he is the draw.

I'm not saying Nolan's name doesn't have cache. What I'm saying is that the film industry has been catering to young white males with the comic books and forgot that older people, especially older white men love their war stories and white male war hero worship. I would actually argue that the sons and grandsons of the 96 year olds flocked in droves to see a story that promised to uphold their romantic ideas about the war their fathers and grandfathers served in. Anyway, like I said this old dude says he's been four times and he's not into Nolan.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's no "Must See" movies anymore. Even comic book movies aren't demanding an audience like they used to.

I used to be a day 1 viewer when it came to any comic book movies up until Age of Ultron. Now I still haven't seen Wonder Woman and I just recently saw GotG2 on blu ray.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
a lot of good TV + the fact they seem to be overcrowding the space. i don't go to the movies a lot, but it seems like there's 1-2 "blockbusters" released every week + add in some kids flick your kids are gonna wanna see, they're cannibalizing each other. not to mention all these hero movies are the same fukking thing in a new costume :beli:

I fell off the comic movie bandwagon 10 years ago. Your line is classic reason why. I'll go watch them occasionally in theaters for the movie experience, but sometimes I don't even remember which ones I've seen before :francis:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And another thing is the youth nowadays just didn't grow up like a lot of us did where going to the movies was something you did with your friends constantly.

They're growing up on netflix,youtube etc and they simply have become home bodies. Going to the movies now it's mostly older people I see. I don't see groups of teens like I used to growing up.
I think it depends on the movie. Superhero movies on opening night I see a lot of teens and college kids. When I went to see Strange Beast and Where to Find Them, I saw a crap ton of families with young teens. Wonder Woman had a very diverse crowd too, out my way.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Makes sense, no one is gonna watch "part 7" of a franchise that dried up in "part 3". Banking on sequels should've never been the ideal, but Star Wars made it plausible to make up to ten parts of a film. But even the horror franchises ran dry. Eventually people will get tired of watching the same character on screen either win or lose.

The remakes are already running slow, these studios need to realize that original properties or spaced out remakes/sequels are okay as well.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I'm not saying Nolan's name doesn't have cache. What I'm saying is that the film industry has been catering to young white males with the comic books and forgot that older people, especially older white men love their war stories and white male war hero worship. I would actually argue that the sons and grandsons of the 96 year olds flocked in droves to see a story that promised to uphold their romantic ideas about the war their fathers and grandfathers served in. Anyway, like I said this old dude says he's been four times and he's not into Nolan.
Yeah in Europe sure. This was a British ass story. I'd argue pretty much everyone stateside saw it because of Nolan and Nolan only.

There were zero stars /box office draws in the flick.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Makes sense, no one is gonna watch "part 7" of a franchise that dried up in "part 3". Banking on sequels should've never been the ideal, but Star Wars made it plausible to make up to ten parts of a film. But even the horror franchises ran dry. Eventually people will get tired of watching the same character on screen either win or lose.

The remakes are already running slow, these studios need to realize that original properties or spaced out remakes/sequels are okay as well.

This reminds me of Ben Stiller's character in Tropic Thunder.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Write up from deadline sums it up perfectly for me

Is Moviegoing Dead? Lessons Learned From The Worst Summer At The B.O. In Over A Decade

TL:DR of it is, the summer box office suffered because outside of a few movies people weren't interested. The idea that people don't want to go to the movies anymore is asinine when you consider how much money was made January-may and the overall box office was up from last year to that point.

Audiences are becoming smarter with their money and about movies in general so you gotta know when to move forward or when to take chance or when to fold your tent up

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
People say since 1992 but honestly Batman Returns had a MUCH bigger impact than anything that dropped this year.

That being said I enjoyed Wonder Woman and Planet of the Apes so it ain't all bad :yeshrug:

Nah batman returns underperformed that year. It may have had a bigger impact on those of us at the right age then but overall? Wonder Woman got it beat