So this was the worst Hollywood Summer since 1992

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
a lot of good TV + the fact they seem to be overcrowding the space. i don't go to the movies a lot, but it seems like there's 1-2 "blockbusters" released every week + add in some kids flick your kids are gonna wanna see, they're cannibalizing each other. not to mention all these hero movies are the same fukking thing in a new costume :beli:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
When that comic book movie bubble bursts :whew:

Comicbook movies, sequels, remakes.. shyt is tired. And factor in the heat streaming and premium tv is bringing now...

What a movie theater is, is gonna have to change in the future. I could see it becoming more of a high end experience.

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But they will ignore that important fact because guardians 2 did so well and Spider-Man's 16283639th remake sold welll. It's like the people in charge are too out of the loop to keep up with what people want. Oh well they need to actually have people in charge that are more in tuned with what's popular
Spider-Man isn't a remake. It's a comic book character. Different film versions will always exist.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Studios spend all that money just so Ex Machina with it's $15 mil budget can win the VFX Oscar :bryan:

The most expensive movies usually look the ugliest
The fact is cgi ages like dirt. What you thought looked great looks horribly dated within a few years.

There is always going to be some kind of uncanny valley affect.

God I wish a practical resurgence happened so badly.

I maintain that for example Nolan's batman films are going to age very gracefully while the vast majority of these comic book films are going to age like milk.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
:jbhmm: Given how stacked next summer's line up is I wonder how these numbers are gonna hold up.

We got Deadpool 2, Han Solo, Infinity War, Black Panther, Aqua Man, Jurassic World, and Ant Man.

:whew:
I feel like every summer for the last 5 or so years people have been looking at the line ups like :banderas: and when it's said and done we all come away mostly let down.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
And another thing is the youth nowadays just didn't grow up like a lot of us did where going to the movies was something you did with your friends constantly.

They're growing up on netflix,youtube etc and they simply have become home bodies. Going to the movies now it's mostly older people I see. I don't see groups of teens like I used to growing up.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Low key this is another millenials killing another business article because millenials are just not going to the movies. I went to see Guardians and Spider-Man this summer but nothing else got me to the theater, though I did want to see Dunkirk on the big screen.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Low key this is another millenials killing another business article because millenials are just not going to the movies. I went to see Guardians and Spider-Man this summer but nothing else got me to the theater, though I did want to see Dunkirk on the big screen.
I'd say it's party millenials but moreso the teenagers. they're on youtube and snapchat.

When I go to the indie theater I'm the youngest person by 30-40 years

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Studios are simply scared to go up against the dynasty better known as Marvel Studios. It's hard to follow up that annual may - june/july money train.

Studios would rather release movies earlier in the year or the fall/winter months with little to know completion.

Other than that you have a bunch of studios simply putting out bullshyt.

Oh...amd nobody has taken will smiths spot.

Lastly, there are no legit a listers making summer block busters.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps

Big chain movie theaters looking real Blockbustery in the light to me right now... Only movie I saw in one this summer was Girls Trip, and that fact that the theater was located in the dying remains of what was once a bustling shopping mall felt ominous on levels passed just the optics... They just have the feel of a relic of a foregone era... Much like video rental chains, sit down big chain restaurants, shopping malls, big box retail, cable TV... Generational differences and changes in the economy just point to inevitable unattainable decline ... Think they're find have to go to a slimmer more specialized business model

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But they will ignore that important fact because guardians 2 did so well and Spider-Man's 16283639th remake sold welll. It's like the people in charge are too out of the loop to keep up with what people want. Oh well they need to actually have people in charge that are more in tuned with what's popular
the problem is that block busters have become so expensive that they need to be hits because one or two of them flopping has the potential to sink entire studios. that's why they are producing so many franchises and remakes, because they have an established fan base and therefore the investment is less riskey. They only problem is that everybody is doing it now, oversaturating the market.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
The reality is movie tickets are expensive, and consu mers like habing more control over when they want to watch something. Has nothing to do with sequels or any of that shyt. All those people will watch the same movies on netflix.

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
Probably doesn't help the summer numbers that you have Thor,Justice League,Star Wars coming out in late fall/winter. Those are major franchises that would have helped the numbers. After I saw Dunkirk I was thinking about the next movie i wanted to see in theaters and it was Kingsman which comes out a full 2 months after that movie.