So this was the worst Hollywood Summer since 1992

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not about to end

Box-Office Preview: Prepare for Slowest Labor Day Weekend in 25 Years

There isn't one new major nationwide release opening over the holiday as the summer box office comes to an unceremonious close.
The Labor Day box office is going to be anything but a picnic, capping off a rough-and-tumble summer and an especially brutal August.

For the first time in a quarter century, there won't be one new major nationwide release on the holiday marquee. The last time that happened was in 1992, when the Matthew Broderick comedy Out on a Limb only debuted in 700 theaters, grossing $1.1 million. Total revenue for Labor Day weekend 1992 was a miserable $57 million, not accounting for inflation. No Labor Day frame has been as bad since then, although this year could mark a new low.

Earlier this month, The Weinstein Co. moved Tulip Fever, starring Alicia Vikander, to Labor Day, but the period drama is only getting a moderate release in some 600 locations. The movie was first set to open in summer 2016 but repeatedly got pushed back.

READ MORE
Why 'Tulip Fever' Took Nearly 20 Years to Reach the Screen (Guest Column)

Sans much competition, holdover The Hitman's Bodyguard is almost assured of remaining atop the chart in its third weekend, earning between $5 million and $7 million, followed by Annabelle: Creation.

Otherwise, a mishmash of rereleases and an advance viewing of the first two episodes of ABC and Marvel Televisions' The Inhumans in 380 Imax theaters will vie for attention. (Inhumans, which premieres in the U.S. next month, is also playing in hundreds of Imax theaters overseas.)

Sony is dusting off Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind and rereleasing the classic film in about 900 theaters, timed to its 40th anniversary.

Among more recent titles, Disney and Pixar will rerelease summer 2017 tentpole Cars 3 in 2,445 locations. Last Labor Day, they did the same thing with Finding Dory, which grossed $3 million over the four-day holiday.

And, hoping to draw attention to Christopher Nolan's acclaimed World War II epic Dunkirk, Warner Bros. is offering all members of the military, both active and retired, a two-for-one ticket special as a way of thanking them for their service.

By the time Labor Day weekend wraps, summer box-office revenue is expected to finish at $3.78 billion, down 15.7 percent over summer 2016, according to comScore. That's the steepest decline in modern times, eclipsing the 14.6 percent dip in 2014. It will also be the first time since 2006 that revenue didn't clear $4 billion. Year to date, revenue is down 5.7 percent domestically. Overseas, however, revenue is up nearly 4 percent so far this year.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
:manny: They didn't make as much money as they wanted. I still got movies I liked or loved so I couldn't care less lol. They're going through a transition period as Hollywood always does. It's happened in every single decade where they can't figure out what the audience wants. They'll figure it out and then there will be hundreds of articles saying how Hollywood is back and better than ever blah blah.

But also maybe it's like Lucas and Spielberg said years ago: the current model isn't built to last and eventually it will break
Nah this isn't as simple as the movies didn't connect.

Inflated ticket costs have been hiding the fact that theatre attendance has been on a downward trend for a while now.

In 10 years domestic numbers are going to be way,way down. Every year domestic numbers are falling and worldwide is becoming bigger.

The average American lives paycheck to paycheck and with the rising cost of living it's just going to get worse.

The theatre business is slowly dying. But it's bigger than just movie quality.

And the super hero boom is only going to last so long. It will never be gone but it won't be like it is now. Everything falls at some point.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Nah this isn't as simple as the movies didn't connect.

Inflated ticket costs have been hiding the fact that theatre attendance has been on a downward trend for a while now.

In 10 years domestic numbers are going to be way,way down. Every year domestic numbers are falling and worldwide is becoming bigger.

The average American lives paycheck to paycheck and with the rising cost of living it's just going to get worse.

The theatre business is slowly dying. But it's bigger than just movie quality.

And the super hero boom is only going to last so long. It will never be gone but it won't be like it is now. Everything falls at some point.
Which is why I pointed to what Steven and George said cause you're echoing their sentiments. Movies costs too much and people don't want to spend it or can't. The problem with the foriegn figures studios don't get the same cut of profit therefore the costs of movies needs to come way down. Not ticket prices but just production costs

Cobratron

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's down, but it's not like the industry is on its death bed. And we already know what their solution is going to be: even more sequels and even more remakes. :russ:

Last time I went to the theater was to see Wonder Woman... and that was free. I can't remember the time previous to that. Most movies don't look good enough to see in the theater anymore. I'd rather watch it on my own time for $3 or $4 through Redbox/Amazon/Vudu.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Which is why I pointed to what Steven and George said cause you're echoing their sentiments. Movies costs too much and people don't want to spend it or can't. The problem with the foriegn figures studios don't get the same cut of profit therefore the costs of movies needs to come way down. Not ticket prices but just production costs
A lot of studios have started selling the foreign rights though for flat rates. I know lions gate has been doing it for a while and a lot of places have deals in places in China.

So they're hedging their bets.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
A lot of studios have started selling the foreign rights though for flat rates. I know lions gate has been doing it for a while and a lot of places have deals in places in China.

So they're hedging their bets.

And even then it still pales to what they get from domestic grosses. You and I talked about the fact fast and furious shouldn't make a 200 million dollar movie. Bring those prices down especially when the best movie only costs 65 million

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
And even then it still pales to what they get from domestic grosses. You and I talked about the fact fast and furious shouldn't make a 200 million dollar movie. Bring those prices down especially when the best movie only costs 65 million
Budgets in general are out of control. Because a lot of times I can't even tell the difference between a 150 million dollar film from a 250 one

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Budgets in general are out of control. Because a lot of times I can't even tell the difference between a 150 million dollar film from a 250 one

I feel like tech has come so far not many of us can. If there's one thing I'll always give marvel and Jason Blum props for is controlling budgets having a firm stop on how much they'll spend on each movie and not letting that budget spiral. It's one reason get out continues to print money

Brehcepticon

Adeptus Brehstartes
Supporter
Daps
:jbhmm: Given how stacked next summer's line up is I wonder how these numbers are gonna hold up.

We got Deadpool 2, Han Solo, Infinity War, Black Panther, Aqua Man, Jurassic World, and Ant Man.

:whew:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Studios spend all that money just so Ex Machina with it's $15 mil budget can win the VFX Oscar :bryan:

The most expensive movies usually look the ugliest