So NAS got 4 classics

SubLyminalz

Kemba Escobar Season Has Returned.
Supporter
Daps
how do u call a album a classic when it hasn't even dropped a week ago, the word "classic" needs to be banned from this site or blocked out like cuss words was on sohh :rudy:

nas has 2 classics arguably 3 at the most, iww was and still is my favorite nas album and I think illmatic sounds dated and overrated, its still sharp lyrically but its not a album that aged well at all at least to me, but I still respect the album and would consider it a classic album as well as iww and arguably stillmatic for reviving his career with ether and other standout songs.

I don't think some of y'all understand that for something to be considered a classic it has to have impact on a entire generation.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Nas did a show where he did the whole Illmatic. I doubt he would do that for any of his other albums. They are just not on that level.

The term "classic" has gotten to be WAY overused.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
4 classics: Illmatic, IWW,LT,Stillmatic

Life is Good is a very good album but a 2nd tier record compared to his classics

Illeye buckmatic

I Don't Stunt I Regulate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Buckeye State Of Mind
I copped it the day it came out. My opinion on it was solidified before you were even allowed to hear swear words.Album is overrated, full of lies, a pale imitation of what Biggie & Rae & Jay & AZ were doing, and it was bad for the culture.

Nas has been trying to move away from the album his entire career. Only problem is half his fan base considers it classic for some reason.

With all that said, there are some joints on it. Its a solid 4 mic album like most of Nas' work. Not a classic tho.
:childplease:
so jay and them nikkas wasnt lying on them albums? Plus NaS himseld said that was just creative writing. He ADMITTED escobar was fictional. Besides you should already know tgat. Do you have to be told wrestling isnt real either? To your dismay, John Cena never won multiple championships. He would get his ass kicked in UFC. Also it was debatable upon its release. The source gave it 4.5 mics when they was still credible. It wouldve got five but since illmatic got it, he couldnt get it back to back.
To answer the question he got five classics in illmatic,iww,stillmatic,lost tapes,gs. Lig just might make six.

coose

Pro
Daps
Reppin
The Archives
IllmatiIllmatic - 1994 Classic
No Need

It Was Written 1996 (Classic ?)
In spite of being critically maligned upon its release, the album's standing has improved considerably over time, leading to it being viewed as one of Nas's best albums, while remaining to be his best-selling release to date. By 2001, It Was Written had sold more than 2.13 million copies. Leo Stanley of Allmusic later praised Nas's lyricism and ghetto-themed vignettes, along with the album's detailed production.[4] For Stylus Magazine's On Second Thought publication, critic Brett Berliner re-examined the album, discussing its initial impact, and cited it as "one of the first hip-hop albums to straddle the critical and commercial divide successfully." While comparing It Was Written to Illmatic, Berliner stated "It’s a seriously good album with a bit of filler, worth of almost all of the praise Illmatic got. This is Nas’ second classic, and should be considered one of the best albums of all time." About.com later ranked "If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)" number 24 on its list of 50 Great Hip Hop Songs, while it also named the song the fourth best R&B/Rap Collaboration.

I Am 1999 - No Need

I Am Bootleg (Hood Classic)

Nastradamus 1999 No Need
debuted at number 7 on the Billboard 200 chart, selling 232,000 copies in its first week. Upon its release, Nastradamus received generally mixed reviews from most music critics, and it has been regarded as Nas's weakest effort.[12] Despite its mixed reception, it achieved considerable commercial success and spawned two charting singles.[11] On December 22, 1999, the album was certified platinum in sales by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).[13]

Stillmatic 2001 (Classic Rated)
served as a commercial and critical success that helped re-establish Nas' career, following a period of critical disappointment with the releases of I Am… and Nastradamus selling over 2,026,000 copies in the United States. Upon its release, Stillmatic received generally positive reviews from most music critics. The album received a classic 5 mic rating from The Source magazine.

Lost Taps (2002) (Classic Rated)
In its 2007 issue, XXL included The Lost Tapes in its list of "classic" albums to be given the publication's maximum "XXL" rating

God Son (2002) (Depends on who you ask but it has a 81)
album received an average score of 81, based on 18 reviews, which indicates "universal acclaim".[28] Although, it is rarely considered to be Nas' best album, as some place it below Illmatic and Stillmatic

Streets Disciple (2004) (Depends on who you ask)
the album received an average score of 80, based on 16 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews". Chicago Sun-Times writer Jeff Vrabel gave it 3½ out of 4 stars and called it "sprawling and ambitious where 'Illmatic' was quick and gritty". Dorian Lynskey of The Guardian gave it 4 out of 5 stars and called it a "persuasive double album".[5] NME gave it a rating of 9/10 and called it groundbreaking.[6] Giving it an A- rating, Robert Christgau of The Village Voice described the album as "double-CD sprawl is ambitious not hubristic, imposing not indigestible--squeezes onto a C-90" and commended Nas for his lyrical maturity, writing that he "finally seems comfortable with his (black) humanity. He's responsible, thoughtful, and compassionate, never mealymouthed". Rolling Stone's Jon Caramnica gave the album 4 out of 5 stars and described it as "the rare instance of hip-hop old and wise enough to look backward without forgetting what it was like to look ahead with awe and wonder". Noah Callahan-Bever of Vibe called the album's material "uniformly solid", but stated "there's an overwhelming routineness to the material, indicating the god body MC needs new challenges, enlightening experiences, and careful insights to inspire him"

Hip Hop Is Dead (2006)
the album received an average score of 79, based on 22 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews". Nas is hip-hop's "grumpiest man", according to Jody Rosen for Entertainment Weekly, and the album "is a lot like Nas himself: impossible not to admire, but hard to love". Among those music writers and critics that reviewed Hip Hop Is Dead favorably was Jason Rubin of The A.V. Club, which gave the album an A- rating. Rubin praised the album's production quality and lyrical concept, and stated "Hip Hop is unsparing in its diagnosis of rap's ills, but ultimately, it's hopeful. It contains a smart, tight, cohesive analysis of where rap went astray, but also the seeds of the genre's rebirth and renewal." Despite perceiving its sound and musical quality as a weaknesses, Los Angeles Times writer Soren Baker gave it 3 out of 4 stars and wrote "Nas demonstrates why he remains one of rap's most revered artists, as his defense of hip-hop culture is impassioned and informed, if not fully realized". Sean Fennessey of Vibe called the album "disorienting and sometimes brilliant" and complimented its "bold, startling production and a renewed lyrical vigor". The album was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rap Album, losing to Kanye West's Graduation (2007), at the 50th Grammy Awards in February 2008.

Untitled (2008) (Depends on who you ask) Double CD)
score of 71/100 from Metacritic. Entertainment Weekly credited the album for its maturity as well as the album's ability to keep the listeners guessing. Andy Greenwald credits Nas, saying "In a summer of "Lollipop", it's good to hear a complicated record that doesn't shy from grown-up ambition." The album received a 4.5 mic rating from The Source magazine. The Independent's Andy Gill gave it 5 out of 5 stars and described it as "probably the most politically oriented rap album since the days of Public Enemy and The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy". In contrast, Los Angeles Times writer Jeff Weiss gave the album 2 out of 4 stars and wrote unfavorably of Nas's lyrics, perceiving his themes as hypocritical and inconsistent.
Despite calling its production "sporadically successful and widely uneven", Slant Magazine's Jimmy Newlin gave the album 3½ out of 5 stars and commended Nas's lyricism, calling its lyrics "all terrific".Jody Rosen of Rolling Stone gave the album 4 out of 5 stars and called it a "sprawling, furious, deeply ambivalent theme album about institutional racism, the failures of black leadership and the pathologies and promise of early-21st-century African-American life". USA Today's Elysa Gardner gave it 3 out of 4 stars and wrote "Nas reconfirms his status as one of rap’s most deft, thoughtful rhymers and his knack for trenchant, defiant commentary".[34] On December 3, it was announced that the album had been nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Rap Album, but it ended up losing to Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III (2008).

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas is simply the greatest creative rap arti$t of all time. The only dude to come close would be eminem, altho his subject matter is too restrictive. I've seen the following acts all in their prime: afrika bambaata (albeit at a madly young age), ll cool j, rakim, krs-1, skooley d, whodunit, jay (96), has (94), lil wayne (2000), run-dmc, public enemy, ice cube and not one of them aside from jay and lil wayne are still in the rap arena on a universal/relevant level.

Nas is far from perfect, but he is the yard stick that all future rap artist should aspire to with regards creativity, longevity, relevancy, originality.

LIG is amazing. It is the right album for where nas is at right now. He has every right to be reflective and cast a wise, experienced eye over his career thus far. Some say his flow is a little off beat but that has always been his style. Dude is phenomenal.

Burger King

Beefin
Daps
Reppin
your mother
some may like to add lost tapes to this list..personally illmatic is still the only classic but i love them all, a true classic is thrown around too easily these days....

Daps
Reppin
401 Prov City
Illmatic and IWW are classics... I Am, Stillmatic, Lost Tapes, Life is Good are close but not quite... the rest are good but def not classics

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Without even trying hard I have been able to find a flaw with every single Nas album since Illmatic...except this.

This is what is known as an instant classic.

:childplease:

I'm not even copping the album until tomorrow and I know that BS off of hearing Summer on Smash today. That shyt straight wack. I don't know if I count Lost Tapes as an official album.

What exactly was wrong with It Was Written and Stillmatic BTW?

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Illmatic, IWW, and Stillmatic, Life is good, might be up there in due time, album just came out, too early to call it a classic