So NAS got 4 classics

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
People been saying IWW is a classic for years now

how is it any crazier than Camel stans saying The Black Album, American Gangster, and Vol. 1 are classics?

What people? I didnt hear anyone calling IWW a classic until I got on SOHH. Truthfully a lot of the fans were kind of :wtb: at Nas for IWW since expectations were so high after Illmatic. Now that was unfair, but IWW is a great album, but not a classic.

As far as Jay, Change Clothes is the only thing keeping me from calling TBA a classic. Not sure if its fair but that is his worst song ever imo. AG is a great album, but Im not giving it classic. Vol 1 is a weird album...it seems like every song on there is either a classic joint, or kinda weak.

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
OP forgot Lost Tapes

Now Lost Tapes is a classic...

tumblr_lw035di1e71qca6mzo5_r1_500.gif

JYoung24

Young J
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Two: Illmatic and It Was Written

It's too early to call Life Is Good a classic, but I am extremely impressed by it. The only thing that's classic about Stillmatic is the impact it had on Nas's career.

stillmatic is defianelty a classic

SubLyminalz

Kemba Escobar Season Has Returned.
Supporter
Daps
classic is something that can only occur over time. masterpiece is a piece of work that is great unto itself. something doesn't have to be a masterpiece to be a classic.

nas has 5 masterpieces = illmatic, it was written, stillmatic, lost tapes, life is good (6 if you count DR)

nas has 7 classics = illmatic, iww, i am, stillmatic, gods son, lost tapes, untitled (8 if you count DR)

too early to call LIG a classic, but it is a masterpiece.

:beli:

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5v8r0rNk0]YouTube - Sit your dumb ass down![/ame]

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
nikka The Coli has more Nas stans than any site on the internet besides maybe Facebook, twitter, youtube and mail services. And Nas stans say everything Nas has done is 5 mics, Nas stans are also the most dedicated states out there. All socially conscious rapper fans stans are like that. Go in a J. Cole video and you see cats calling him a a legend, go in a Drake thread and cats say cool track. :smh:

time will tell if it's a classic, It's a good album, why it's not a classic to me is cause it's nothing new. It won't change the rap game in any way, it's nothing groundbreaking and on. It's Nas doing what he does best over the instrumentals he handles the best. I wasn't expecting better music, I was expecting fresher, more groundbreaking, something that made me say "What the fukk is shyt?" That's a classic.

I'm a "Kufi/Conscious" Rap stan........but I have no problem saying if one of the known lyricists from this camp falls off.....Common last album was terrible, Mos Def been hit or miss the last 10 years...more misses, Talib Kweli has been mostly great, the Roots need some direction, I hope Lupe finds his muse, Dead Prez have been consistently good, Immortal Technique is almost as bad as Jay Electronica which is almost as bad as Pharoahe in just simply releasing music.......and on and on...

Nas hasn't fallen off, but just consistency IMO is just kinda off........but then at the same Nas has his Kufi side and his Nasty Nas side...and I think the problem is that this album was supposed to have a higher percentage of Nasty Nas, but it just doesn't have that "spirit".... :snoop:....

coose

Pro
Daps
Reppin
The Archives
It Was Written 1996 (Classic ?)
In spite of being critically maligned upon its release, the album's standing has improved considerably over time, leading to it being viewed as one of Nas's best albums, while remaining to be his best-selling release to date. By 2001, It Was Written had sold more than 2.13 million copies. Leo Stanley of Allmusic later praised Nas's lyricism and ghetto-themed vignettes, along with the album's detailed production.[4] For Stylus Magazine's On Second Thought publication, critic Brett Berliner re-examined the album, discussing its initial impact, and cited it as "one of the first hip-hop albums to straddle the critical and commercial divide successfully." While comparing It Was Written to Illmatic, Berliner stated "It’s a seriously good album with a bit of filler, worth of almost all of the praise Illmatic got. This is Nas’ second classic, and should be considered one of the best albums of all time." About.com later ranked "If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)" number 24 on its list of 50 Great Hip Hop Songs, while it also named the song the fourth best R&B/Rap Collaboration.

Tunes

Pro
Daps
Illmatic / It Was Written / Lost Tapes - Classics, front to back.

Gods Son / Life is Good / Untitled / Stillmatic - Great Albums

I Am / Hip Hop is Dead / Streets Disciple - Above Average

Nastradamus - Pretty Average

Digga38

The seperation between what's fake and what's real
Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
classic is something that can only occur over time. masterpiece is a piece of work that is great unto itself. something doesn't have to be a masterpiece to be a classic.

nas has 5 masterpieces = illmatic, it was written, stillmatic, lost tapes, life is good (6 if you count DR)

nas has 7 classics = illmatic, iww, i am, stillmatic, gods son, lost tapes, untitled (8 if you count DR)

too early to call LIG a classic, but it is a masterpiece.

:snoop:

I had to chuckle at this

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
nas only has 1 certified official classic.

luckily for him, its arguably the best album ever.

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
nas has 2 classics arguably 3 at the most, iww was and still is my favorite nas album and I think illmatic sounds dated and overrated, its still sharp lyrically but its not a album that aged well at all at least to me, but I still respect the album and would consider it a classic album as well as iww and arguably stillmatic for reviving his career with ether and other standout songs.

...and the majority of us think Lost Tapes is better than it, and half of us think Life Is Good is better than it.

So what do you do with those albums? Disregard them because they didnt have diss tracks that "revived his career"? So if Nas career was over and he released Life Is Good and got his fans back, then ya'll would say it was classic cause it got his fans back? All of that is circumstantial and has nothing to do with the music itself.

Illmatic
It was written
Lost Tapes
Stillmatic

....are already in the rafters. Life Is Good imo, surpassed stillmatic in terms of quality and is hovering around Lost Tapes....and depending on how it ages will sit next to IWW.

Seeing how this album isnt full of club bangers and are more introspective (like Lost Tapes) I see it aging just fine