So Kendricks album came and went without making an impact

Detroit Red

Buy any jeans necessary
Daps
Yall nikkas still running through the 6 with your woes and shyt..:scust:
Meanwhile kendrick dropped the most pro black album in a long time...Somthing we actually needed to hear.. He made music for us ...yeah sonically it sounds cool but I could give a fukk about what stripper you fukking ...
nikkas have short attention spans this era.. All the legends would not have been successful this day and age...step yall music taste up

L@CaT

For Hire Gunslinger!
Daps
This album was average, regurgitated, trying too hard to be something in the vain of Nas, who didn't just spit words, who actually went to Africa to study. That's what got to me about the album. Dude tried too hard. One or two tracks better than the rest and that's it. That's the truth.

No it's not :francis:

Daps
And another thing... Drake stand salty. Tbap is still better than Drakes whole catalogue. So at the end of the day, yall still taking the L. Saying shyt like metric don't matter lol. It has a metric score of 97, the people have spoken. :umad:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
how do y'all know what people are listening to? :what:

This aint the 80's where dudes carry boomboxes on their shoulder. People have their headphones and you have no clue what they play.

And this isn't a ride around and bump album anyway.

I knew this album was not going to have staying power because the stans in the official thread kept saying how classic the album is but they would only harp on 1 song that was "mortal man". Its amazing how such classic piece of work only has 1 song that to talk about.

He stood up for black people on the album at the sacrifice of sales. Im not a Kendrick Stan either. Most of you don't see a bigger picture...

Meanwhile kendrick dropped the most pro black album in a long time...Somthing we actually needed to hear.. He made music for us ...yeah sonically it sounds cool but I could give a fukk about what stripper you fukking ...
nikkas have short attention spans this era.. All the legends would not have been successful this day and age...step yall music taste up

Y'all mean he's making pro black music for profit?

There's absolutely nothing that Kendrick has ever said that we needed to hear or didn't already know and theres not 1 thing that album is going to do for black people in america.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was saying this before the album dropped but Kendrick just hasn't taken that step musically/sonically/artistically/however you wanna call it that would make his music undeniable. Like he's sort of Casey Veggies-ish where he just raps on songs but isn't really entertaining with it. You listen to a verse and assume he's killing it with his deliveries and good flows but when you listen to the lyrics you rarely get those :banderas: moments when you hear a clever or witty ass line. Very little punchlines and flow switching. And his production isn't all that either.

For Kendrick, constructing cohesive, thoughtful and meaningful projects is his strength. That part of his game is unmatched . I didn't wanna rate TPAB (still never have) cause the album is art to me. The individual tracks didn't matter as much once you're listening and connecting the dots on the album's themes.

But that's a double edged sword because the main flaw with TPAB is that most of the songs aren't that hot as standalones. I skip every TPAB on shuffle except King Kunta , Alright. Momma and maybe instutionalized. It doesn't help that he was experimenting a bunch with his sound on this so unless funk is what you listen to on the daily most of this isn't for regular listening. You have to be in TPAB mode to really wanna listen.

Guess one way to describe it is if Kendricks album is like a steak cuisine meal that smells great, looks aesthetically pleasing, seasoned perfectly, and has a good balance of well cooked sides to go along with the steak. Though the meal as a whole is great especially presentation wise, you can't help but think that you've tasted better steak itself somewhere else
He stood up for black people on the album at the sacrifice of sales. Im not a Kendrick Stan either. Most of you don't see a bigger picture...
This. which is why the lack of impact it had is sort of disappointing cause IMO I think this is an important album for folks my age.

I love how people talk about him being positive/conscious as a gimmick. When has positivity sold shyt in rap? When did mainstream rappers make conscious albums at the PEAK of their popularity. Even if the album isn't warmly received I think Kendrick did a big thing making TPAB at this part of his career where he can get that message into many ears before crabs are able to write him off as "just a _______ rapper"

Daps
This album was average, regurgitated, trying too hard to be something in the vain of Nas, who didn't just spit words, who actually went to Africa to study. That's what got to me about the album. Dude tried too hard. One or two tracks better than the rest and that's it. That's the truth.

But Kendrick did go to Africa you fukkboy, that's why the album is what it is. :camby:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Thats the problem with people like you and haters in this thread. Only females and fakkits care about image.

Kendrick made an album for Compton. He made an album for his people.

I'll be the first to admit there are no standout singles. But it obvious Kendricks purpose was to make a great album first and foremost.

And he did exactly that. Fuk a hit single. Give me a classic album. I'll take that over a couple.of hot singles any day of the week.

Most of you have horrible taste in music anyways. So it doesn't suprise me that TPAB goes over your heads.

You guys have the music ear of a 10 year old

Fuk outta here

QFT. Wowee I was just getting ready to say this. The problem is that we live in an instant mac and cheese era, where music is supposed to be easily categorized and fit into a neat little box. The thing is with TPAB and Tetsuo in Lupe's case is that for the 1st time in a very long time, you have artists that are making music on their terms, whether you think it's too artsy or it doesn't have 'singles'. Quite frankly both of these albums are just that and need to be experienced as such. It has been years since I could sit and listen to an entire album and come away feeling great about the work as a whole. It funny on how artistically this the most West Coast sounding album this side of Snoop Dogg yet cats wanna call the production robotic. Fact of the matter is that this album is a slow burn. It took me a few listens to really get the vibe. I get it Kendrick doesn't have the most electric style or a catchy hook but we got cats saying 'well he's only a very good lyricist and comparing him to Rass Kass like that's a bad thing.

No, he is right even when you look at it musically all the huge rappers of their time music style was being copied. Whether their production, flows, hooks etc.

Kendrick fans/stans kept throwing up in everyones face how the fact that GKMC went platinum showed that Kendrick was a top dog in rap. One that could stand next to Drake, Jay and Kanye on the MainStage. I called bullshyt on that from day 1. If any rapper goes plat they should be headlining stadium tour or summer amphitheatre circuit.

Dude is second tier rapper and has to be given credit for the strong fanbase he was able to attract but he is not the top dog in rap and never will be because there is nothing unique about his style. He's just a rapping as nikka

Dray

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
90% my own head, 10% reality.
No it's not :francis:

That's your opinion bro, you're entitled to it. As I am mine. I listened to it once, got gassed on the first track, listened to it again a next day and thought I was listening to the garbage disposal crew. No lies.
But Kendrick did go to Africa you fukkboy, that's why the album is what it is. :camby:

I didn't say he didn't go to Africa...I said Nas went there TO STUDY, fukkboy. 'Is what it is' what is that?

intilectual recipricol

Killin fake hip hop
Daps
Reppin
The Brook
running.gif

through the

6.gif

Detroit Red

Buy any jeans necessary
Daps
I was saying this before the album dropped but Kendrick just hasn't taken that step musically/sonically/artistically/however you wanna call it that would make his music undeniable. Like he's sort of Casey Veggies-ish where he just raps on songs but isn't really entertaining with it. You listen to a verse and assume he's killing it with his deliveries and good flows but when you listen to the lyrics you rarely get those :banderas: moments when you hear a clever or witty ass line. Very little punchlines and flow switching. And his production isn't all that either.

For Kendrick, constructing cohesive, thoughtful and meaningful projects is his strength. That part of his game is unmatched . I didn't wanna rate TPAB (still never have) cause the album is art to me. The individual tracks didn't matter as much once you're listening and connecting the dots on the album's themes.

But that's a double edged sword because the main flaw with TPAB is that most of the songs aren't that hot as standalones. I skip every TPAB on shuffle except King Kunta , Alright. Momma and maybe instutionalized. It doesn't help that he was experimenting a bunch with his sound on this so unless funk is what you listen to on the daily most of this isn't for regular listening. You have to be in TPAB mode to really wanna listen.

Guess one way to describe it is if Kendricks album is like a steak cuisine meal that smells great, looks aesthetically pleasing, seasoned perfectly, and has a good balance of well cooked sides to go along with the steak. Though the meal as a whole is great especially presentation wise, you can't help but think that you've tasted better steak itself somewhere else

This. which is why the lack of impact it had is sort of disappointing cause IMO I think this is an important album for folks my age.

I love how people talk about him being positive/conscious as a gimmick. When has positivity sold shyt in rap? When did mainstream rappers make conscious albums at the PEAK of their popularity. Even if the album isn't warmly received I think Kendrick did a big thing making TPAB at this part of his career where he can get that message into many ears before crabs are able to write him off as "just a _______ rapper"
Cosign...
How is being conscious a gimmick?

Will2x

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think his subject matter is making people overrate the album. For a mainstream artist who has the attention of whites to come out with an album like this feels like a victory of some sort but fact is majority of the album is sleepy. I think section 80 succeeded in this area off the strength of creativity, storytelling, and superior selection of beats.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think Kendrick's album is better than Drake's trash album too but that Metacritic shyt don't mean shyt, that ain't "the people" most real HipHoppas don't even know what that is. I think I saw on 1 of these kind of sites DJ Shadow's album was rated as the highest Hip Hop album of the 90's or something, most people on here probably haven't even heard that, and I've never heard anyone else say that is the greatest album of the 90's. Online can be like an alternate universe sometimes. Plus if it's reviewers or people's votes that can easily be corrupted and almost certainly is.

Daps
That's your opinion bro, you're entitled to it. As I am mine. I listened to it once, got gassed on the first track, listened to it again a next day and thought I was listening to the garbage disposal crew. No lies.

I didn't say he didn't go to Africa...I said Nas went there TO STUDY, fukkboy. 'Is what it is' what is that?

Yea, but he went, and it affected his views on the album and life. That's all that matters. The fukking album ain't about Africans or Africa tho so what's your point, the album is directed at black Americans.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Everything is classic on the coli, especially a new album from a mainstream artist one hour after its release. Watch how crazy this place will a go. when kanye drops his new shyt, it'll be classic after hearing a snippet. dikk ryding faggets love the attention, shyt is embarrassing.