So Kendricks album came and went without making an impact

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Rap is a joke =/= someone not taking it seriously is satire. Too Short first met him he was a drug dealer thug type dude. He was in jail for selling crack. This image he's selling ain't actually him.

All the more reason why I like Lil B. That's why I think what he does is so powerful. He's leaving that goon life behind and becoming this troll-like Deepak Chopra tiny pants clown. I think that's a beautiful thing. Hip hop shouldn't be serious all the time.

Lil B reminds me so much of a street dude I used to know. Every time this cat would rhyme and do a little freestyle, I would hold in laughter because his voice was terrible. Not terrible in a way that you didn't want to hear it, but just jokey for some reason. He was a huge Pac and Weezy fan, and was trying to get a rap career going but wasn't too serious about it. When he rapped, it sounded like some parody shyt. And deep down, when you get past the rough side of him, he's a clown. Super cool, jovial and down-to-earth.

So when Lil B jokes about how hard his life used to be, and he had dem choppas, I feel him. He could be faking it, but that shyt sounds fukking real to me. Hip hop is clearly an outlet for him to ease stress, deal with past emotional trauma and move away from hood shyt.

If more rappers were approaching hip hop the way Lil B did it, the rap game would be saved overnight.

He rapped normal then made a conscious effort to put zero thought into his music. That's where all that based god shyt came from. College kids hopped on board talking about :ohhh:"oh, he's satirizing rap!" and the rest is history. The dude that wrote that article you posted up is a prime example of over thinking his music. Lil B started running with it because the alternative is "my music is just nonsense".

Occasionally he'll put out something that he actually wrote, and put effort into, and the difference is obvious. But the bulk of his Lil B based god work is nonsense....he freestyles most of it in one take. It's not meant for college kids to comb for a deeper meaning.

Fred.

I know the college kid Lil B fan is very problematic for a bunch of reasons but I'll address that another time.

Just because you freestyle something in one take doesn't make it entirely meaningless.

95% of Lil B's stuff is unlistenable trash, like you rightly pointed out. I don't bother to listen to most of his mixtapes in full. Only a couple.

But the point is-- the other 5% is actually quite compelling. It's an interesting insight into someone's raw subconscious and, by extension, modern raps' subconscious. It's a rawer, far less polished version of that stream-of-consciousness rap style that Ghostface perfected. But in Lil B's context, it works sometimes because it's funny as hell. The randomness and genuine silliness can be very compelling. The reality of the matter is that the new generation just doesn't take rap as seriously as we did. And that's both a great thing and a terrible thing.

Lil B has had me :dead: more than any other rapper in history.

Who the hell is gonna think of rhyming on a reversed Vanity 6's "Makeup" while referencing famous fashion models from the 60s and 80s? ("Bazaar Model")

Or stuff like "1000 bytches" over a Mario beat, treating conquest of bytches like getting a medal in Mario and referencing Deepak Chopra?

Your average duncecap doesn't have the aptitude for that kinda shyt.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Of course I'm insecure. I'm every single thing you've projected I am in your mind. If one of my arguments led you to believe I was a giant purple dinosaur, you'd probably have no problem believing I was that too. :heh: I don't remember you or follow you. You're everywhere, every thread in the Booth carries your stench. We disagree on seemingly everything and it's impossible discussing things with you so I had you on ignore for weeks. So much for following you around though right? Dumbass. I've told you the deal, keep trolling where I see you and I'll keep shytting on you. Don't get offended, just keep it moving. :umad:

LOL. all this over a Kendrick post? You're trying way too hard. Got you talking about e-stenches and purple dinosaurs. Later breh.
giphy-4-these-10-mind-bending-facts-about-inception-are-astounding.gif

LarsVerb

Rookie
Daps
I like the album. It was not the new "me against the world' at all, but it was good. It had some nice political messages.

Daps
All the more reason why I like Lil B. That's why I think what he does is so powerful. He's leaving that goon life behind and becoming this troll-like Deepak Chopra tiny pants clown. I think that's a beautiful thing. Hip hop shouldn't be serious all the time.

Lil B reminds me so much of a street dude I used to know. Every time this cat would rhyme and do a little freestyle, I would hold in laughter because his voice was terrible. Not terrible in a way that you didn't want to hear it, but just jokey for some reason. He was a huge Pac and Weezy fan, and was trying to get a rap career going but wasn't too serious about it. When he rapped, it sounded like some parody shyt. And deep down, when you get past the rough side of him, he's a clown. Super cool, jovial and down-to-earth.

So when Lil B jokes about how hard his life used to be, and he had dem choppas, I feel him. He could be faking it, but that shyt sounds fukking real to me. Hip hop is clearly an outlet for him to ease stress, deal with past emotional trauma and move away from hood shyt.

If more rappers were approaching hip hop the way Lil B did it, the rap game would be saved overnight.

I know the college kid Lil B fan is very problematic for a bunch of reasons but I'll address that another time.

Just because you freestyle something in one take doesn't make it entirely meaningless.

95% of Lil B's stuff is unlistenable trash, like you rightly pointed out. I don't bother to listen to most of his mixtapes in full. Only a couple.

But the point is-- the other 5% is actually quite compelling. It's an interesting insight into someone's raw subconscious and, by extension, modern raps' subconscious. It's a rawer, far less polished version of that stream-of-consciousness rap style that Ghostface perfected. But in Lil B's context, it works sometimes because it's funny as hell. The randomness and genuine silliness can be very compelling. The reality of the matter is that the new generation just doesn't take rap as seriously as we did. And that's both a great thing and a terrible thing.

Lil B has had me :dead: more than any other rapper in history.

Who the hell is gonna think of rhyming on a reversed Vanity 6's "Makeup" while referencing famous fashion models from the 60s and 80s? ("Bazaar Model")

Or stuff like "1000 bytches" over a Mario beat, treating conquest of bytches like getting a medal in Mario and referencing Deepak Chopra?

Your average duncecap doesn't have the aptitude for that kinda shyt.
nikka you lost at life for saying that shyt.

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
Kendrick biggest hit had a trap beat (reason why he's so critically acclaimed). Funny how nikkas talking slick about trap though. Now once he got his fame he dropped an album with real instruments (been done before). Again, y'all treat hip hop like 12 year old white bytches. No worse than white people who love Eminem.
:whew:
:whoa:breh, don't go so hard!! you are killing them!!!:damn:

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
If Kendrick's album "came and went" then what the fukk would you call 99% of the other albums that come out every year? Who besides Aubrey and Eminem is doing bigger numbers?

Some of y'all are so weird :pachaha:

When I hear someone say an album came and went, to me that normally means they gave it a good listen, but then after a few spins had no desire to go back and listen to it again. That is pretty much how this album went for me, and I'm a fan of K.Dot. GKMC and Section80 still gets spins from me, I have no real desire to listen to TPAB going forward though.

As far as the other albums that have come out this year, IYRTITL, Tetsuo and Youth, The Album about Nothing are some off the top of my head that are still getting spins for me.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
If people really liked them, why don't they buy their retail shyt? Even Drake can have fans that go out there and cop retail albums from him, but why not them? :mjpls:

The streets tend to be stubborn on change. When Trap music came out, it was a southern thing. Mad east coast street rappers, at most, only collaborated with southern trap artist as random guest appearances. It was a regional thing, and the streets outside of the south resisted trap music for years after Jeezy and TI blew up. Even in 2007, you still had D-Block, Dipset and G-Unit with that boom bap sound hailing that they will never succumb to making trap beats on their albums. Wasn't until Kanye dropped 808s and Heartbreaks, when you see all non-southern artists messing with trap/ techno beats. Then the streets gradually morphed its sound to trap music, but they were mad late on the trend.

Same thing happening now. People will downplay Kendrick and Cole and continue to play trap music until its wheels fall off. Some people here think that trap music will be here till 2200 AD :heh:
@PhonZhi
:whistle: