So I finally listened to Ice Cube's Death Certificate front to back!

Tj Bronson

Average Carpentry Skills
Supporter
Daps
Dope thread :yes:

Like everyone else said, it's one of the greatest albums ever. I didn't get to hear it when it came out, but a friend in 8th grade (94/95) dubbed me a copy and I wore that tape out playing it as often as I could.

It's always good to go back and see what you missed out on. I'm still doing it all the time. Music is way more accessible now than it was when all those classics were dropping week after week in the early/mid-90s. Couldn't buy all those tapes or cds back in the day but now it's all just a click away if you want it. I heard so many dope albums in the 90s, and still missed out on so many more :laugh: Now I'm on a quest to hear everything I missed out on, even if it turns out to be just average.

Definitely listen to Westside Connection :yes:

doggy

All Star
Daps
I respect the honesty. Yes this is an essential rap album. Everyone must listen to this album in their lifetime. Even if you’re a redneck from Alabama, even better would love to see their faces lol

And yes Lethal Injection is classic as well check that ASAP

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
classic album...I feel awkward discussing it w/ a white guy tho...truly no disrespect...just how I feel...and ya for me ‘bird in the hand’ was the best cut off the album

as for the vibe...during the late 80s/very early 90s...there was a lot of consciousness in hip hop...cube somewhat moved from the gangster shyt to being more “woke” (the term is cliched but I’m using it for lack of a better phrase)...I want to say he even had ties w/ the nation back then if memory serves me correct...it was in the music...in the attire (african medallions etc.) and in a lot of movies that dropped during the early 90s as well...the music/culture took a major shift tho toward gangster music en masse...especially on the east coast (it was already prevalent on the west)
Yes he was down with the nation through Kam, FOI held him down

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Classic album, very introspective album as a black man dealing with race post segregation in America, along with living in South central. This album and Amerikkkaz Most Wanted are 1a and 1b for cube.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
the album insert / sleeve

is one of the iconic hip hop iimages
represents the two sides of the album
death and life

90897ef8cb1bfb1a633fd9608b0724aa.1000x1000x1.jpg

* and yes, we commented about the skin color differences between the men representing positivity and negativity.....when we saw it

as far as the bird in the hand.....he flipped the old saying......AND the last verse on the song LITERALLY says exactly what you interpretted the song to mean

cause we don't want to drug push
but a bird in the hand is worth more than a Bush
just looks like the lench mob/crip side was darker while the NOI side just showcased them in a brighter light, figuratively and literally. I don't see the dark skin/light skin issue.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
COLOR BLIND is an under rated posse song

went over my head when i heard it, but now that west coast gangs have spread, I get the lyrics
Coolio and WC going back and forth :ohhh:
South Central is putting Ice Cube to the test, with 4 brothers in a SS.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Cube was my first favorite rapper as a lil kid...my step dad was in the nation and literally listened to this album in between Farrakhan and Khalid Muhammad speeches on cassette while riding around... to me it’s his best work...like other’s have mentioned AMW is lauded as his classic, but I prefer everything from the production to his delivery to the content on DC...AMW sounded too "old school" and I was young as fukk

Always wondered what happened to the NOI influence in Cube's music...some of the underpinnings were still there, but not as overt as on DC, Predator and Lethal Injection ... know kam put him on, wonder if then falling out had anything to do with it...I have saw him politicking with Farrakhan at a Big 3 game not long ago

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
This takes me back brehs. I was the biggest Cube stan on the planet.

My big brother had bought AMW the previous year and we listened to that album back-to-back every single day for a whole summer.

Fast forward to '91, I'm 12 and don't know shyt about release dates or none of that. I'm at the Lakewood mall with Mom's and see the DC tape on the shelves in Sam's Goody:ooh:

Asks Moms for ten bucks to buy a tape. Hid the tape in my pocket because of the parental advisory sticker.

Mom's like where the tape at? "Oh I didn't see anything I liked yet but I'mma keep looking, so let me hold that ten":lupe:

My favorite cuts were Alive on Arrival & Summer Vacation.

As a kid AMW was my favorite of the 2, but as I got older and begin to understand the lyrical content more, DC became my favorite. Still love both albums.

Content wise, DC is arguably the greatest Hip Hop album ever made.

Musically, Doggystyle might be the Goat.

Last edited:

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
Fast forward to '91, I'm 12 and don't know shyt about release dates or none of that. I'm at the Lakewood mall with Mom's and see the DC tape on the shelves in Sam's

$7.99 off the muthafukkin wall!!!!! :russ:

Copped DC and that Geto Boys We Cant Be Stopped same purchase. Broke as shyt that week....

We had Musicland up north in the Bay. Always tripped out in the record stores seeing who was coppin these tapes on Tuesdays. Around my way we stayed POSTED in the mall, the shyt used to go down bruh...

:pachaha: