So I finally listened to Ice Cube's Death Certificate front to back!

Crumple

All Star
Daps
The Yukmouth Double album has better production I would check that out if you never heard it, where do you buy the hard copies from? Discogs? E-Bay? Give me a couple days to really put some thought into the list but one album that I’m sure you’ve never heard that’s in my personal top 10 is Curb Servin by WC & The MAAD Circle, you will appreciate the anti drug message as well as the story telling on “Kill A Habit” and “On The Set”, in terms of storytelling WC is up there with Cube, what he does conceptually on “Wet Dream and “On the Set” layering the concepts but keeping the storytelling fluid is phenomenal if you catch all the layers and everything going on throughout the songs. Those are probably my 3 favourite tracks off the album and songs you should listen to more than once to catch everything but I do suggest listening to the album once front to back in order as it’s structured purposefully. WC brother Crazy Toones (RIP) provides the bulk of the production and makes his voice heard through turntablism throughout the album so pay attention to the samples that he cuts in and when as they’re generally placed purposefully as well.

Dope, I'll check for that album. When essential I'll first try to buy my CDs on amazon, then ebay, then discogs. New at regular price or mint at a good price. TM101 on CD was actually hard for me to find and it's only from 2005! I specifically needed the high quality .wav you get on CD because of the mix.

Yes, link your list when you can. I can't say I will get to check everything on your list fast cause I'm so busy but I'll check for it for certain. I respect how deep you listen to records as well. I never knew WC was that dope. I always loved his voice but his crip walk hype may have threw me off. Westside connection had great joints.

These threads take alot out of me. It took me like 2 weeks to make this thread but that work had all these legit Coli posters come out and I'm grateful for that. Thanks to you and everyone in this thread.

@surf
Said this in the Jeezy consensus post

"trap or die, TM101, recession

I DON’T wanna hear trap or die is “just” a mixtape"

@surf Thanks for putting me on to the Trap or Die tape.

To me so far my favorite Jeezy albums are Tm101, Trap or Die mixtape and tm102.

The trap or die mixtape sounds like Jeezy is doing whatever he wants musically. Almost like a label-less far away from Def Jam I do what I want approach. Independent vibe - and it works!

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
The Yukmouth Double album has better production I would check that out if you never heard it, where do you buy the hard copies from? Discogs? E-Bay? Give me a couple days to really put some thought into the list but one album that I’m sure you’ve never heard that’s in my personal top 10 is Curb Servin by WC & The MAAD Circle, you will appreciate the anti drug message as well as the story telling on “Kill A Habit” and “On The Set”, in terms of storytelling WC is up there with Cube, what he does conceptually on “Wet Dream and “On the Set” layering the concepts but keeping the storytelling fluid is phenomenal if you catch all the layers and everything going on throughout the songs. Those are probably my 3 favourite tracks off the album and songs you should listen to more than once to catch everything but I do suggest listening to the album once front to back in order as it’s structured purposefully. WC brother Crazy Toones (RIP) provides the bulk of the production and makes his voice heard through turntablism throughout the album so pay attention to the samples that he cuts in and when as they’re generally placed purposefully as well.

whatever the list is that you give him I can say now he MUST listen to the albums in order. Just press play and let it run. That’s how we did it back when they dropped and that’s how it must be done with any top 50 album. You can’t be skipping around the place on something like 36 Chambers.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
Yeah same. I still play that album all the way through all the time. More than 2 or 3 times a year.

That's up on my list. That's like Snoop Dogg close to the Doggystyle album - my favorite Snoop other than singles here and there and his GGN.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
whatever the list is that you give him I can say now he MUST listen to the albums in order. Just press play and let it run. That’s how we did it back when they dropped and that’s how it must be done with any top 50 album. You can’t be skipping around the place on something like 36 Chambers.

Oh for sure.

And again I hope I'm not coming off as a young buck. My intro to Hip Hop was Doug E Fresh on Ghostbusters 2 cassette when I was 11. I heard all of Wu, all of the core important albums. I was a big underground head.

All Wu including 36 I was on by 1995. Not 1992 but 1995 I was a die hard.

However I KNOW I'm missing albums
For instance - Iistened to the Great adventures of Slick Rick from to back for the first time around 2013. Tribe called Quest Low end theory around 2014.

And both destroyed me! Lol

I couldn't understand how the sound I love most - 1994 to 1999 - was pretty much created by Adventures of Slick Rick in the late 80s and Low End theory in 1991.

Q tip's production messed by head up.
He was and is so far ahead of his time.

They care about the craft.

The next thread I'm going to do is Ice Cube's Amerikkka's most wanted.

Tj Bronson

Average Carpentry Skills
Supporter
Daps
That's up on my list. That's like Snoop Dogg close to the Doggystyle album - my favorite Snoop other than singles here and there and his GGN.
Dogg Food is possibly my personal GOAT album... its definitely my favorite of the pre 2pac Death Row albums. And I hardly even think of Snoop with that album to be honest. That shyt is all about Kurupt. And even Daz went hard on the album. Just all the way around, it's dope as hell and I can't imagine it'll disappoint you.

Also definitely do like @KingSol81 said and check out WC & The MAAD Circle. Curb Servin is underrated imo.

King Poetic

No Mercy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
Cube run with

Straight Outta Compton

followed by Amerikkkas most wanted, Kill at Will and Death Certificate and The smash hit Today was a good day off of the predator album is probably the best run ever for a rapper

Crumple

All Star
Daps
Dogg Food is possibly my personal GOAT album... its definitely my favorite of the pre 2pac Death Row albums. And I hardly even think of Snoop with that album to be honest. That shyt is all about Kurupt. And even Daz went hard on the album. Just all the way around, it's dope as hell and I can't imagine it'll disappoint you.

Also definitely do like @KingSol81 said and check out WC & The MAAD Circle. Curb Servin is underrated imo.

Dope. Okay Dogg Food and the WC album I will check for next.

Off the top if you guys know what the best Lord Finesse album or work is to check let me know.

I heard alot of ditc Big L, Ag, show and Ag.

But I want to check for Lord Finesse's best work.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
Cube run with

Straight Outta Compton

followed by Amerikkkas most wanted, Kill at Will and Death Certificate and The smash hit Today was a good day off of the predator album is probably the best run ever for a rapper

Ice Cube trailblazed at a dangerous time on so many levels. He just bulldozed through everything and left classic material behind!

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island

Off the top if you guys know what the best Lord Finesse album or work is to check let me know.

Check out Great Milenko by ICP

Crumple

All Star
Daps
Check out Great Milenko by ICP

@Juggalo Fred

If I check a full Icp album I want it to be the best or most classic. Is that one it?

I liked that one with the carton cover smoking weed. All I know is the cover. I like their movement and the homies track and video. Just never got around to checking them further.

Last edited:

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia

persinally my fav Lord Finesse album is Funky Technician. The Awakening is dope but I like that early 90s style over the last 10 years or so I find myself listening to more and more of that 1987-1992 era more than anything else.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
persinally my fav Lord Finesse album is Funky Technician. The Awakening is dope but I like that early 90s style over the last 10 years or so I find myself listening to more and more of that 1987-1992 era more than anything else.

Dope. I heard alot of joints off Awakening.
I will check both of them. Thanks!

Barry Sanders

Barry>>>
Daps
Reppin
Silverdome
@OGBIGBOY187 thank you.

Alot of gangster rap was fabricated. There's so much truth on this record.
For those who have been around that activity.

And let's remember - Ice Cube is a multi millionaire now. Death Certificate sold millions, went platinum.

Which proves you can be a GREAT artist - really dope. Certified and still make millions.

He even talks about this on true to the Game - making money without having to "Sell out".

Ice Cube :hhh:

Ice Cube was a sellout.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
Ice Cube was a sellout.

I heard he did on different levels.

I loved the Predator album art but felt that album wasn't as strong.

I will post my review for Amerikkka's most wanted when ready. No comment on it now.

I wonder, what's Coli's condenses on his third best album?

I assume Amerikkka's and Death Cert. Are top 2.

His third?

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Did anybody here buy Death Certificate when it dropped?

How was the vibe of that era?

Also same question for anyone in LA at the time.

Thank you.
I copped when I first came out and it was the shyt. I even heard bytches pumpin it. Cube was the west coast then. Plus, he had the Nation of Islam with him. Cube was conscious and more street than gangsta if you ask me. He was spitting facts. East coast was still tight then with ATCQ and some others but people we into what was coming off the west coast more. Cypress Hill, CMW, DJ Quick. Geto boys were dope then too.