So I finally listened to Ice Cube's Death Certificate front to back!

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Did anybody here buy Death Certificate when it dropped?

How was the vibe of that era?

Also same question for anyone in LA at the time.

Thank you.
I was in kindergarden at the time and too young to buy it, but I remember that the OGs idolized Cube and Ice-T. I think up until Snoop had his debut, Ice Cube was the biggest rapper in the world.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
I was in kindergarden at the time and too young to buy it, but I remember that the OGs idolized Cube and Ice-T. I think up until Snoop had his debut, Ice Cube was the biggest rapper in the world.

Word. When Snoop dropped he was a superstar in rap at least. Part of me wishes Snoop would have only to rap. But hey he became what he became. And GNN is dope.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Album was monumental. I fukked with Cube heavy from being the standout/main writer in NWA, then AMW and Kill At Will, which I thought were great. Then, he dropped this, and my mind was blown. Baltimore was waist deep in the crack era, and shyt was fukked up, so it hit hard for me. Love The Bomb Squad, too, but I felt he gelled with WC production a bit better. I feel it was also the greatest juxtaposition of gangsta and concious rap EVER, hands down. The pinnacle. Then, there was the total dismantling of NWA. A 5 mic classic in every sense of the word.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Album was monumental. I fukked with Cube heavy from being the standout/main writer in NWA, then AMW and Kill At Will, which I thought were great. Then, he dropped this, and my mind was blown. Baltimore was waist deep in the crack era, and shyt was fukked up, so it hit hard for me. Love The Bomb Squad, too, but I felt he gelled with WC production a bit better. I feel it was also the greatest juxtaposition of gangsta and concious rap EVER, hands down. The pinnacle. Then, there was the total dismantling of NWA. A 5 mic classic in every sense of the word.
They don’t make albums better than this. You can hear the influence in so many albums after. Especially Whut Thee Album and Ready To Die

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
It's my fault. I was born in 1981 and was 10 when it came out and I was into rap.

I do know alot of Ice Cube from NWA, Wicked, Serial Killaz, Good day.

But never got around to sitting down and giving this a thorough listen.

I recently heard Dr. Dre's cut from Chronic Ho Hopper. That track - the vibe had me go out looking for that particular West coast sound. "1992 Dr.Dre" which defines west coast Dre to me.

So I finally checked Death Certificate.
I feel like a complete idiot.
i was gonna give you props thinking you were like 17, 22, even 27... you 39 just hitting up this album :dead: i mean this is some shyt you should've gotten around to somewhere in your 20's at least :heh:

but nah, good shyt, always great to hit up the classics you missed out on

Crumple

All Star
Daps
i was gonna give you props thinking you were like 17, 22, even 27... you 39 just hitting up this album :dead: i mean this is some shyt you should've gotten around to somewhere in your 20's at least :heh:

but nah, good shyt, always great to hit up the classics you missed out on

Lol ya. Rap history is so vast. I found it hard to go through it all.

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
"Didn't get into an "excessive" amount of trouble...but its one thing...its one thing...."

That intro on the Death side to the Khalid Muhammad intro on the Life side....

Reading the NOI headline on the insert while the tape was playin, UNITE OR PERISH, that shyt said it all.. Dope, powerful, album that EVERYBODY and they mama was buying that week. I was in the line the first day that muthafukka dropped out here in Cali.

Boyz N The Hood, New Jack City, DC, PE, NWA, Geto Boys, Scarface, Cypress Hill, CMW, DJ Quik...91 was insane, cant even begin to explain the levels to this shyt as a teen back then...

92' as far as Cube was concerned, LA riots...Predator drops followed by Dalenchmob Guerillas In The Mist, all the frustration, anger, rage of what we all was feelin from that muthafukkin not guilty verdict all spilled out on the wax as well as the street.

The best way I can describe the climate in hip hop back then and I hate to sound like my pops or an old head is how I watch the NFL nowadays. Growin up playin the shyt in the 80s and 90s yeah. I still love watching the game but the shyt ain't the same. That anger, the level of violence and intimidation, fear of an entire defense, or a specific player. That bite...Cant even describe it.

You had to be there, live it, breathe it to understand the magnitude of this rap shyt and hip hop in general back then. One of the reasons some us old heads go so hard on these sites. Not here to shyt on the new era but try and uplift, spread the knowledge and not forget the history of what is now considered classic material.

Last edited:

Crumple

All Star
Daps
"Didn't get into an "excessive" amount of trouble...but its one thing...its one thing...."

That intro on the Death side to the Khalid Muhammad intro on the Life side....

Reading the NOI headline on the insert while the tape was playin, PERISH OR DIE, that shyt said it all.. Dope, powerful, album that EVERYBODY and they mama was buying that week. I was in the line the first day that muthafukka dropped out here in Cali.

Boyz N The Hood, New Jack City, DC, PE, NWA, Geto Boys, Scarface, Cypress Hill, CMW, DJ Quik...91 was insane, cant even begin to explain the levels to this shyt as a teen back then...

92' as far as Cube was concerned, LA riots...Predator drops followed by Dalenchmob Guerillas In The Mist, all the frustration, anger, rage of what we all was feelin from that muthafukkin not guilty verdict all spilled out on the wax as well as the street.

The best way I can describe the climate in hip hop back then and I hate to sound like my pops or an old head is how I watch the NFL nowadays. Growin up playin the shyt in the 80s and 90s yeah. I still love watching the game but the shyt ain't the same. That anger, the level of violence and intimidation, fear of an entire defense, or a specific player. That bite...Cant even describe it.

You had to be there, live it, breathe it to understand the magnitude of this rap shyt and hip hop in general back then. One of the reasons some us old heads go so hard on these sites. Not here to shyt on the new era but try and uplift, spread the knowledge and not forget the history of what is now considered classic material.

Very well said. I respect that alot. Damn.