So I finally listened to Ice Cube's Death Certificate front to back!

Jimmy the gent

I'm still eatin off Lufthansa
Daps
Reppin
North Side Perth
What about Steady Mobbin OP?
Didn't feel that joint?
I remember seeing Chris Rock watching the Video for it on CB4 and thinking that's one of the Illest joints I've ever heard at the time. I bought every Cube album looking for it, but I didn't know the the name of it, so I copped every Cube release, my last one being DC, and finally found it.
Had every cube release on Tape, now I got em on CD. Still one of my favourite Cube joints along with Really Doe

Crumple

All Star
Daps
I copped when I first came out and it was the shyt. I even heard bytches pumpin it. Cube was the west coast then. Plus, he had the Nation of Islam with him. Cube was conscious and more street than gangsta if you ask me. He was spitting facts. East coast was still tight then with ATCQ and some others but people we into what was coming off the west coast more. Cypress Hill, CMW, DJ Quick. Geto boys were dope then too.

Respect. I actually like that you differentiate street from gangsta.

Not sure how you'd define it exactly. I'd like to know.

I kinda look at it like gangsta rap could be straight ignorant and loud.

Street is more like Krs One - empowering but rugged/ street smart.

I got in late in the game here.

You're prolly talking How to Kill a man Cypress.

I gotta kid story. Summer 93 I was like 11. Went to my boys house and he dubbed me Insane in the membrane single on all white cassette before Black Sunday dropped.

Went to get a baseball card in one of those coin slide out card machines.

Then chilled behind my boys building.

This chick threw a bucket of water on my back! I was pissed! Then happy cause the Cypress tape was in my front pocket.

Then I was angry again, cause that baseball card ended up being some rookie card worth something and it was soaked lol

I was a kid. But was well aware of what was happening in LA earlier.

It's dope you bought the album when it dropped.

I'd love to hear anymore historical stories like that from the early 90s around Death Certificate.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
What about Steady Mobbin OP?
Didn't feel that joint?
I remember seeing Chris Rock watching the Video for it on CB4 and thinking that's one of the Illest joints I've ever heard at the time. I bought every Cube album looking for it, but I didn't know the the name of it, so I copped every Cube release, my last one being DC, and finally found it.
Had every cube release on Tape, now I got em on CD. Still one of my favourite Cube joints along with Really Doe

DamN just realized I didn't do a track by track for this review.

Steady Mobbing is crazy dope!
Minimalist. It's great you went looking that hard for that track.

To me 92 Dre and earlier is my favorite LA era.

Like Break em off some and Eazy duz it.

So many news report and police siren samples.

If anyone can put me on to more of those tracks earlier than 92 please do!

Crumple

All Star
Daps
P0.jpg

@Pegasus Jackson I gave it a thorough listen. My findings:
- he mentioned tattooed tears in 1991
- classic beats - I mean CLASSIC BEATS!
- " Scandalous bytches make for happy feds" - holy shyt! Again 1991
- giving up the nappy dugout - warning to everyone - don't wife a problem girl
- themes of safe sex
- actually happy, cool sounding record
- smart, truthful with what to really deal with
- motivating
- true to the game - talks some serious business...in fukking '91!
- "died young doing dumb shyt" - fukking Cube man

Bird in the hand is about working hard - not being able to find a decent paying job.
Looking for a break - talking cocaine.

This may sound stupid but I want clarification if someone can confirm.

Was "bird in the hand is better than a bush"
A direct metaphor essentially flipping that quote and stating making it big with a "bird" - kilo of cocaine - is better than dealing with what "Bush" - as in George Bush - the presiding President at that time - is giving us? - is that what was accepted as what he meant?

@The_Hillsta saw you appreciating this album. Dope you bought it when it dropped. Just wondering if you read my brief points on it.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
As a 25-year-old, his first four albums sound dated. There are a few songs that I love throughout the four, but A LOT of them sound similar to me.

UNCLE JAM

Pro
Daps
Did anybody here buy Death Certificate when it dropped?

How was the vibe of that era?

Also same question for anyone in LA at the time.

Thank you.
I bought it the 1st day it dropped,and hip hop heads went crazy over that album back in the day. Also saw him on the Death Certificate tour,MC Lyte,2Pac & Leaders Of the New School with Busta before he went solo opened.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
I bought it the 1st day it dropped,and hip hop heads went crazy over that album back in the day. Also saw him on the Death Certificate tour,MC Lyte,2Pac & Leaders Of the New School with Busta before he went solo opened.

That's incredibly dope! Incredible experience.