So does this mean Kendrick Lamar is officially the number one rapper right now???

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I need to separate myself to stand out
I need a better way to take your fans now
I need to kill you motherfukkers dead
Three hollow-tips aimed at your head
I'll be damned if the chopper jam now

At this point he's checked all the boxes. The rap battle W was the last one and to be honest I didn't think he'd get it; I just figured Drake would never engage. But end of the day the titans are gonna clash eventually, and Kendrick been baiting that shyt for a decade lol. I'm only gonna relate this to his era and (mainstream label) peers, specifically the "blog era" or whatever you want to call it. He's the best. He was always the best. And frankly it was never close. I don't think it's a coincidence he had the best team out of Cole and Drake either. Punch the secret MVP and mastermind behind a loooot of shyt that will never be spoken about or appreciated. Not just for Kendrick but the whole label during their run, and SZA right now. Making great albums will change your life. Making multiple great albums will make you a legend. That's been the goal since day one.

To me the only (mainstream) guys in that album conversation with Kendrick are Vince Staples and Earl. On the underground level it's Danny Brown, Roc Marciano, Spitta, and billy woods.
Roc Marci and Spitta. Danny Brown been dirt for a minute and Billy Woods is dope but ain't as impactful in the slightest. Roc Marci and Spitta are more important to me than any of the big 3.

BlaccSunrise

Superstar
Daps
boys useta oversaturating kosher babble...freaky ass nikkas
drake-drunk-at-party.gif
The hell is this cracca doing in the gif? :dahell:

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Not until he drop that new album :banderas:

Also most of his features are meh to me.

So the big 3 is still around. Nothing changes from this beef imo. Kendrick the top rapper, Drake the hit maker, Cole a distant third but shows glimpses every now and then that he can really hang if he wants to :manny:

KillKenny

Pro
Daps
I don't think there was an era in which the question of who's number one rapper was ever easier than right now
Dot is on top.

BUT - No way Kendrick has four classics. GKMC and TPAB are absolute classics, qualitywise I don't think DAMN is quiet there, but I can give it a pass.
Anyway, not four! Music has been world-changing through history, with all the respect to Kendrick's work - those here saying he had influence, that's true and all, but it's not like top 5 in any genre in terms of influence or anywhere near that. Y'all forgetting music stopped wars and did crazy stuff. Kendrick uniting bloods and crips isn't quite there, again - with all the respect, it's a bit greenwashing for his image given the beef.

Last edited:

bl2k8

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
Rap skills only, the majority of listeners in the hip community would say that Kendrick was the best out of the 3 even before the beef :yeshrug: this is not new. In the world of music most people would say Kendrick is the best artist. Kendrick just never had the casuals like he does now and he was still one of the most popular rappers ever

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Roc Marci and Spitta. Danny Brown been dirt for a minute and Billy Woods is dope but ain't as impactful in the slightest. Roc Marci and Spitta are more important to me than any of the big 3.
Not talking about impact, I'm talking about amazing records. So billy woods def qualifies. I'd argue he has impacted the underground though, and his label is doing some surprising things impact wise.

Danny doesn't have a bad album but I get why some people had issues with the last two. He hasn't missed in my eyes. Love the way he crafts his albums and how different each one sounds.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Not talking about impact, I'm talking about amazing records. So billy woods def qualifies. I'd argue he has impacted the underground though, and his label is doing some surprising things impact wise.

Danny doesn't have a bad album but I get why some people had issues with the last two. He hasn't missed in my eyes. Love the way he crafts his albums and how different each one sounds.
Yea I feel u. But for me it's Roc and Spitta and then it's everyone else. Including Kendrick, Drake and Cole.