Smile 2 - Official Teaser Trailer (2024) Naomi Scott, Rosemarie DeWitt

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In honor of the movie's release, Bloody Disgusting spoke with Finn to break down the development and expansion of the new horror franchise with Smile 2. When asked about whether The Smiler is more savage in the film because the entity is getting stronger or because of the more chaotic mind of Skye, Finn confirmed it to be a "little of both", going on to explain that one of the biggest things he thought of was making sure "it felt truly tied" to Naomi Scott's protagonist:
A little of both. And I love that you latched onto that because that was exactly what was on my mind, was this sense of feeling like it’s such a personal thing for each person it interacts with. I really wanted to make sure that it felt really truly tied to Skye and her world, this big world that she has. So it felt very right to go bigger, to go more brutal, more insane, more savage, as you put it. I wanted to make sure that if I was going to ask audiences to give me their time again, that I wasn’t just doing a traditional continuation or a simple retread of the first, but something that felt truly surprising and unexpected that had Smile coursing through its veins but also had its own identity, its own metabolism.
The writer/director also continued to explain that part of the reason why the entity is more savage in Smile 2 is actually the audience themselves. Finn recalled wanting to "find brand-new ways to scare" viewers going into the sequel, namely since the majority will "start ahead of the character" after watching the first film. Check out the rest of Finn's explanation below:
When it came to figuring out how I was going to stress people out, how I was going to scare them when they’re coming into this film potentially having seen the first. They start ahead of the character, and I was wondering, "Can I use that against them? Can I find brand-new ways to scare them?" Anything we might think we know about the entity after the first, it’s like, well, we’ve only seen that through one person’s eyes so far. What if it’s totally different for someone else? I really wanted to up the ante everywhere I could across the board.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
First off, that lil british biddie was lookin' nice :ehh: .

On to the movie tho. The last act really bought it home for me. Because the first hour and change, I liked what I was watching but it kinda felt like we were tracing over the last movie and I kept trying to figure out what they were gonna do to upscale the sequel cuz they clearly weren't going to do it in quantity terms re amount of kills.

I know why it had to happen but I low-key was hoping neurotic mom's stayed sliced up wit da triple buck 50 cross her face :lolbron: .

They def increased the magnitude with her bangin' her shyt at the end during the performance. You knew it was coming but it was still sum shyt.

Most of the jump scares worked for the most part. My girl legit almost flew outta her seat @ one of em lol. Even some of the small stuff like the teleprompter scenes was tense (and awkward :picard: )
Plus her throwing Granny in the bushes on sum 40 Glock shyt was just gold :laff:

That scene where all dem fans pulled up like BMF at a strip club, all just smiling was sum shyt too 😳

The long, drawn out impending dread played up by ole girl is what really makes this for me tho. Like I said, da lil brit smoked this 🚬 .

The fuccin' sound on this shyt in my theater was crazy too and made it even better.

Early thoughts I don't think I would put it ova the OG but it's a solid entry.

All of the sudden, I'm in the mood for sum Voss water :whew:

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The more you know

Wasnt this guy in the 1st one? Looks familiar.

The scene at the autograph signing was a great way to really start moving things downhill. The way that she's already stressed out/creeped out even before the girl smiles at her. The interaction with the fan that was in love with her was great.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd:

That’s a mf sequel done right, and a dope ass horror franchise so far. I can’t wait to see how they escalate from here.
That old lady stage dive had me covering my mouth to not bust out laughing :heh::bryan: