Small example of why schools should’ve stayed segregated.

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
I disagree with OP.

Black schools weren't doing too well during segregation as many didn't have the supplies to teach the proper curriculums that were needed to be a contributing member of society.

A lot of you pro-segregation cats are misguided and uninformed on the conditions of black ppl during those days especially in terms of education.
They think we all lived like the folks on black Wall Street and the streets flowed with milk and honey. It’s sad because the folks that think segregation was so great for us should be in this class getting a tough love lecture , because they’re very ignorant.

The people in this thread wishing for the times before integration are spitting in our ancestors faces thinking they are pro black, they aren’t :ufdup:

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
I actually think the boys and girls should be separated. If not K-8 I’ll take HS.

Side Note: I didn’t take her speech well. If her students did then she was effective and touché to her.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
My great grandfather is 95 and still kicking. My mother in law lived in Atlanta when they started to ended segregation. I understand no amount of movies and tv shoes will ever be able to do not only their stories but others justice because I’ve been told stories about it.

I grew up on the levee in MS not too far from where they tied Emitt Til up. I know cause I’ve heard all of the stories and seen real photos from that era

but another poster said it better than I did. Context is also needed on our past and current situation. We’re still leading in poverty and the racial wealth gap has not gotten any better. I’ll go back and read through it and tag you

Then you should already know, the context of the past would tell you that with integration, we would most likely still be dealing with +50 percent of the black race in poverty.

Its certainly not great now, but it could be a lot worse.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I disagree with OP.

Black schools weren't doing too well during segregation as many didn't have the supplies to teach the proper curriculums that were needed to be a contributing member of society.

A lot of you pro-segregation cats are misguided and uninformed on the conditions of black ppl during those days especially in terms of education.

Quoting for emphasis

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Then you should already know, the context of the past would tell you that with integration, we would most likely still be dealing with +50 percent of the black race in poverty.

Its certainly not great now, but it could be a lot worse.

Oh yeah of course

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Every time education comes up I like to remind y'all of this:

Whatsoever schools teach your kids...

YOU NEED TO TEACH YOUR KIDS

You don't like the new math? Teach your kids the old math.

Is the History teacher overlooking things? Easy. Fill in the gaps

School could be better and hopefully schools one day become perfect...

But until then you have all the information on Earth inside the same phone you're reading this on

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Nothing wrong with what she stated.

She was posted on here before actually.

Half them kids bored asf, peep one kid with his face in his hand looking at the floor :mjlol:

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
I don’t think she makes good points. She should care how her students perform, not call them lazy. The job of an educator is to teach, inspire, grow and learn so that they are prepared for the world.
Reading levels and test scores matter. It’s not the end all be all but for the most part, those who cant read or perform tend to have a poorer life.
shut the fukk up.

A lot of those kids have never had an authority figure hold them accountable.

She didn't even directly call them lazy, she asked them if they are in a rhetorical manner.

Judging her off of a clip less than one minute long. Who's to say she doesn't inspire her students to learn and grow?

She was posted on here before, and her students love her. :camby:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah if they lazy they need to hear that shyt. Yea reading levels and test scores matter presently. But there was a time when actually getting an education took precedence. Now they do more preparation for a state wide test

Bolded and enlarged cuz its true.

Alotta ya'll put on the kid gloves when it comes to dealing with our own. Nah, we gotta go harder on ourselves because it IS harder for us.
My mom sat on my head all the way through school. My grades were not a result of my own intellect, but rather my parent's (and teacher's) relentlessness.

if not for that push I would have been playing pokemon 10 hours a day at least :snoop:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
:francis:
Shes absolutely right. I had to give similar people talks to my students. But it’s not that simple. There’s a bunch of issues here that need to be unpacked.
1.) Integration vs. segregation-People dont understand the purpose of the ON-GOING fight for integration. I say on-going because schools are still primarily segregated today.:francis:
But the purpose wasn’t to teach blk kids alongside white kids as if their magical knowledge acquisition skills would somehow rub off on the po blk kids.:mjlol: Integration was tied to the flawed lie of “separate but equal” where whites were trolling blks with the idea that they could keep blk kids in dilapidated schools, with no resources, poor funding, no resources, and outdated learning materials and then compare the progress of those kids to white kids attending state-of-the-art schools.
So integration was supposed to provide blk students with the same educational opportunities as affluent white kids through proximity. This was never fully realized because racists changed zoning laws to ensure schools remained segregated and impoverished....AND we lost the wealth of black instructors and culturally responsive instructional and behavioral practices our students benefitted from receiving when they were segregated communities. :francis:

2.) On top of all that shyt, the approach to education in America changed for all students. We shifted from the provision of authentic educational experiences to “teaching to the test”. That’s the issue this teacher is conveying. This shift towards an overemphasis on testing is due to several decades of conservative policy maker dikk sucking of big business interests, specifically the testing industry. They earn billions of dollars per year for standardized testing. And the materials marketed to “help” kids pass the tests. Because Bush passed NCLB act that tied federal funding to school performance on these tests, and that trickled down in many cases to teachers being fired if students didn’t pass these tests...now you have educational environments where students do not receive any real education or learning. It’s just worksheets, testing, lectures, no movement, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.
This shift has been negatively impacting ALL American students. But any downward trends that affect regular Americans, hit blks disproportionately because we already don’t have the resources and infrastructures to cushion our kids from these issues like white and Asian parents do. They will send their kids to private schools or pay for expensive tutors to make up for the shytty educational system. Economically we don’t have those same opportunities. Also we aren’t just battling bad schools. We are also battling racist schools.

3.) The Tests...
Believe it or not, our students can actually read in many cases. But they are tired of testing and rebel by saying “fukk you” to the assessments...which are horrible in quality. There’s entire research departments dedicated to assessment evaluation and they’ve found that the assessments aren’t even aligned with state or federal standards. So, teachers are mandated to teach one thing....and the kids are tested on something else.:mjlol:
Becky and Mei King’s private tutors will help them make sense of these discrepancies but, Deshawn and Shaniqua is too busy getting suspended for breathing hard by racist teachers, much less being tutored privately. And Becky and Mei Ling will only be tested a handful of times in their private schools. Our kids will receive an average of 16 tests per year, per subject at the behest of McGraw-hill and friends they lobbied in Washington.

So by the time our babies get to their 18th reading exam, when they spent 157 out of 180 days getting yelled at, lectured to, being bored out of their minds, and tested to death...THEY DONE.:mjlol: I had students who’d write “fukk you” on reading exams and then pull out the NOVELS they were really interested in.:laff::laff::laff::laff:

Soooooo solutions: it’s simple. Raise teacher pay and benefits to make it attractive to black teachers so more will enter the profession. Hire more black teachers. Train ALL teachers/administrators in culturally responsive instruction, content and behavior management. Stop testing so damn much. A beginning exam, mid-year exam and final exam in reading and math is ENOUGH! Return to school being a place of holistic learning instead of testing factories. Fund black schools equally.

:yeshrug: Get these things done and it won’t matter who sends their kids to school, they’ll fall in line. Otherwise, even kids from the best families will still be in danger of falling by the wayside.

I have studies to back up everything I said. And if this post is too long...fukk you. You need to read more anyway, you anti-intellectual, illiterate lil bytch.:unimpressed:

Oh...also consider how reading instruction has changed as well. From emphasizing phonemic awareness through understanding Latin roots...to having kids memorize sight words....but that’s another debate.:hubie:

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
:gucci: 55 percent of the black race was below the poverty line at the beginning of the 1960s

I am not seeing integration as the greatest thing as it destroyed the concept of self sustainability, however segregation was literally hell on earth for the black race
And a lot of black schools during segregation were still full of white teachers and principals