Shakur Stevenson: "If Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard were to box today, people would call them runners"

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Leonard said that Hearns indeed hurt him. It's wild because I just read that yesterday on a FB post when he was talking about the damage to his eye done by Tommy. He didn't run that entire fight.

Crazy cause he took bombs to the chin and didnt flinch.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
I never seen Shakur put hands on anyone

Difference is , Shakur, they backed their defensive “running” up with classic fights and KO wins

Shakur looked horrible in the last fight. Dude was legit not trying to engage or scared when buddy threw a punch. He was ready to jump out the ring whenever he was about to get hit.. buddy was clowning him too

Just stop talking and prove nikkas wrong (or right) in your next fight. He only got like 10 KO’s on his record too, so despite the wins he’s gonna get criticized for that kind of performance and that he doesn’t have power at his weight class

shakur need to sit in the pocket a lil more and spend less time trying to justify the stinker he put up last go round.

Those boxers threw their hands enough to not be called runners

Ya'll are again making Shakur's point :pachaha:

Alot of Boxing fans don't really study fights like that at all, and go by social media banter and fake narratives. It's very easy to go to Google/Youtube and study and confirm a bias you have of a fighter to make sure it is correct, but ya'll can't even do that

All of his best wins were in the pocket. All it takes was a subpar night to now have the narrative that he's a "runner" when he is a defensive fighter that embarrasses you in the ring

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law

Alot of Boxing fans don't really study fights like that at all, and go by social media banter and fake narratives. It's very easy to go to Google/Youtube and study and confirm a bias you have of a fighter to make sure it is correct, but ya'll can't even do that

All of his best wins were in the pocket. All it takes was a subpar night to now have the narrative that he's a "runner" when he is a defensive fighter that embarrasses you in the ring

I'm not proving his point. Selecting 3 of 21 wins is just the same energy in the opposite direction.

Ali and Leonard threw their hands more than Shakur in general.

Yes or no?

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
I'm not proving his point. Selecting 3 of 21 wins is just the same energy in the opposite direction.

Yes or no?

Proving my point YET AGAIN you don't watch his fights if you think it's only 3 of 21 he has fought that way lol

Just admit you don't watch his fights and go by social media narratives

You just walked right into that L without even trying lol

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I'll be honest I didn't watch the video.

It's not making sense. A boxer that got diagnosed with Parkinson's disease because many believed he took too many punches to the head is considered a runner?? That's like saying a track star is the fastest but they keep coming in last place.

Maybe during Ali's prime he might've been considered a runner but that would be one hell of a stretch......
He was a heavyweight boxer doing 4 fights a year that were even and even being split decisions, L’s and shyt.

He could be a runner but he was still taking a lot of hits to the head by very big guys, many times per year.

That has more to do with the lack of safety protocols in pro boxing back then

Daps
Reppin
Denver

I’ve watched almost all of shakur’s fights. That’s my guy. He plays the counter puncher game until he’s worn his opponent down enough that he knows he ain’t getting hit with anything that can do damage, then he goes on the offensive. He never got to that point in the last fight and was content to just out-point him round after round and not risk anything.

I haven’t really seen him not get aggressive with his offense in any other fight.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Proving my point YET AGAIN you don't watch his fights if you think it's only 3 of 21 he has fought that way lol

Just admit you don't watch his fights and go by social media narratives

You just walked right into that L without even trying lol
I'm not proving his or your point. Selecting 3 of 21 wins is just the same energy in the opposite direction.

Yes or no?

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
My father and especially my grandfather viewed SRL as a runner .

Their definition of running back then is different from ours. They had a different expectation.

Thank you. This guy gets it

People aren't really telling the whole story about Sugar Ray Leonard and the public perception of him early in his career

When Sugar Ray got out of the Olympics in 1976, people saw him as the "Golden Boy", way before Oscar De La Hoya had that nickname. The media was looking for the next Muhammad Ali, and they propped him up as the next great one. His first pro fight he made $100k... in the late 70s which is alot for a prospect. Then as he was climbing in the ranks, the fans started to turn on him and called him a "flashy" boxer who is a pretty boy who doesn't like to get his hands dirty. He had commercials and TV show appearances everywhere which heightened the fan's disdain of him

It wasn't until he fought Duran in their 1st fight, and "showed he had heart" by fighting in a phone booth with Duran that people started to "gain his respect". These are not my views, because I love Sugar Ray Leonard. But Shakur was shining a light about how fickle and herd like some Boxing fans can be with running with a narrative, like you have to "prove something to them". It's comical

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
I'm not proving his or your point. Selecting 3 of 21 wins is just the same energy in the opposite direction.

Yes or no?

You literally assumed that only 3 of his fights in his entire career he was in the pocket. Like I said, you have never watched Shakur's fights, and still too p*ssy to admit that fact

I don't argue with someone on a point when they are coming from the position of ignorance. Have a good day

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
You literally assumed that only 3 of his fights in his entire career he was in the pocket. Like I said, you have never watched Shakur's fights, and still too p*ssy to admit that fact

I don't argue with someone on a point when they are coming from the position of ignorance. Have a good day

That dude a argumentative troll who dksab. U wasting ur time breh

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

And you literally assumed I've never watched Shakur's fights because you chose to use 3 fights of 21.

Yes or no?

And I'm sure the word p*ssy wouldn't be replicated front of me. Stay tough over there.

That dude a argumentative troll who dksab. U wasting ur time breh
You still mad cause I told you emotional niqqas that a fighter who tested positive for a drug that doesn't enhance stamina in fact had poor stamina in his last fight?

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
And you literally assumed I've never watched Shakur's fights because you chose to use 3 fights of 21.

Yes or no?

And I'm sure the word p*ssy wouldn't be replication front of me. Stay tough over there.

You still mad cause I told you emotional niqqas that a fighter who tested positive for a drug that doesn't enhance stamina in fact had poor stamina in his last fight?

You got it my guy go shyt up somebody else alerts :camby: