Shakur Stevenson: "If Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard were to box today, people would call them runners"

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Just watched Floyd v Maidana this morning

People for sure would be shyttin on Floyd’s style today and I don’t wanna hear the age excuse

It’s all cuz of Tank, he knockin out all of these cans so people think every boxer gotta do it

Floyd stopped finishing fighters in style when his hands started to become an issue. Then he took the business decision of taking it the distance unless there was an opening. The masterpiece that is the Diego Corrales fight is what people were expecting from Floyd when he fought dangerous fighters afterwards. Could argue Gatti which is what really put him on the map. But let's keep it reality Gatti was already cooked. Corrales was an unbeaten fighter

If you have an appreciation of technique youll never find a Floyd fight boring.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

People for sure would be shyttin on Floyd’s style today and I don’t wanna hear the age excuse

It’s all cuz of Tank, he knockin out all of these cans so people think every boxer gotta do it
People were shytting on his style then. Floyd had white folks furious with his trolling...thats what sold his fights, not his style.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People seem to revere sluggers/brawlers far more than tacticians/defensive style boxers

If I had a boxing skillset I would likely be called a runner too because I am definitely trying to keep my opponents gloves off me as much as possible while trying to achieve my objective
As with most sports, people dont understand or really care about the intricacies. People care about stuff that looks cool. Knockouts, like dunks and now 40 foot 3s, and 60 yd bombs, and 450 HR look cool. Rocky is the biggest sports movie franchise ever. A part of the story is how he lacked technique and honestly wasnt that good of a boxer :pachaha:. He was just out there with all heart, destroying his brain for our entertainment. Thats what people like :manny:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps

Funny make every fighter look like a can but these same opponents are notable wins for his contemporaries.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Floyd didn't run from Maidana in either fight :mjlol:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps

People were shyttin on floyd style THEN. He was constantly called a runner in his money phase.

RedBull

All Star
Daps
Reppin
On KRS One's nose, eating sunflower seeds.
Floyd didn't run from Maidana in either fight :mjlol:
They really don’t know what running is. They call ducking, pivoting, side stepping, moving around to throw an opponent’s timing off, making an opponent follow you around so you can set a trap, so you can perhaps catch a breather, or shake ofc cob webs, running. No sense of debating with new fans, they changed everything up to suit their feelings.

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
They really don’t know what running is. They call ducking, pivoting, side stepping, moving around to throw an opponent’s timing off, making an opponent follow you around so you can set a trap, so you can perhaps catch a breather, or shake ofc cob webs, running. No sense of debating with new fans, they changed everything up to suit their feelings.
Well then u agree with what Shakur is saying

RedBull

All Star
Daps
Reppin
On KRS One's nose, eating sunflower seeds.
He was on his bike the entire fight

Half the fight happened on the ropes
You’re changing what being on a bike actually is. Floyd definitely wasn’t on his bike in any fight. Moving backwards while fighting isn’t “on his bike”. Moving WITHOUT fighting is on your bike. Fighting isn’t’t just coming forward or standing toe to toe. Fighting off the back foot is an art most of these boxers today don’t have, only fighters with rhythm can pull that off successfully. That’s another reason why casuals of today dislike talented boxers, because their fav boxers can not do that. They love toe to toe because that their only chance to see the superior boxer lose.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
This is not a today thing. People have always labeled a fighter a certain style because of a couple of fights.

I’ve always heard people describe Hagler as some sort of brawler or pressure fighter because of the Hearns fight. He fought that way against Tommy because he had to.

People were shyttin on floyd style THEN. He was constantly called a runner in his money phase.

I think the shift in his style at the higher weights gets exaggerated anyway. Yeah he was more aggressive in general at lower weights, but he always fought differently due to the opponent and situations.

He had title fights at 130-135 where he was more defensive (Vargas, Castillo 2, Sosa) to go with the more aggressive ones. He spent most of the fight against Corrales on the back foot, but he landed absolutely perfectly timed shots and dropped him repeatedly. He was more offensive minded and threw more shots in his previous fight against Emanuel Augustus. He actually started off the Carlos Hernandez fight very aggressively, but went on his bike and fought southpaw after injuring his hand.

The way he fought Miguel Cotto in 12’ isn’t really much different at all than the Jesus Chavez fight in 01’.

Last edited: