serious discussion: Drake HAS to be an industry plant, no?

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've been saying shyt like this forever. nikkas don't listen though. Funny, these are the same cats who are going to be pissed when a white Jewish rapper from the burbs blows up, with a team behind him. Talking about "it's just entertainment" this whole shyt was a trial run. And we failed.

The same ones defending him were the same ones mad when Macklemore swept the Grammys.

Like I said I don't think Drake makes bad music at all, but him getting a pass like he has, especially as the top guy in hip-hop sets an awful precedent

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Most of these nikkas is plants if you think that the current top 5 are organic, grassroots then you're lying to yourself.
This. I'll take it further and say the top 5 mainstream runs throughout hiphop's history at any given time. I've always had the lingering belief but seeing how blatant this drake shyt is made me revisit certain old shyt. You know how some bullshyt happen in life and you be revisiting old situations in your mind like :ohhh:"so that's what it was":wtf:

When drake has an album coming out the have him on ESPN, dude gets a GQ cover like it's automatic.

HearNoEvil

World's Nerdiest DJ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SEA / ATX
I'm literally getting angry right now. I'm drinking my coffee and just shaking my head realizing how true this shyt is.

Things are actually about to change now. This is an L that people will remember forever when it's time to talk about how Hip Hop fell.

Every bleak word I've wrote today has actually hurt me too. Because I know it's all true. This isn't dramatics, it's facts.

This is bigger than Drake. It could have been anyone. Any racially ambiguous face with the right look and interest in being the man to do it.

People are already beginning to talk about Diddy the way we predict people will talk about Drake. They are one in the same. Culture vultures in it for the money.

Watching hip hop form here on out will be like watching the sun set. Until it finally disappears, never to be seen again.

:mjcry:

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Simply put, Drake is the result of good (IMO) rhymes and even better connections. I would say he is not a plant rather that he was planted due to his marketability with the added bonus of being a (semi) tolerable singer.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
He did. He definitely did

2006 he drops a local mixtape. A year later he drops comeback season with features from prominent artists.

2009 he drops So Far Gone and it blows up like nothing you've ever seen before. 4-5 months after he drops his mixtape he's shooting sprite commercials. Mixtape gets nom's for a Grammy.

Now, he gets exposed and multiple industries :cape: and insert themselves into Hip Hop drama to save him.

Dude makes mysoginistic content in a generation where feminists are flat out destroying people and no one says anything.

He's the ambassador of a family friendly league when his music is about drugs, sex, guns and violence.

Multiple endorsements despite the content of his music.

This hasn't happened before.
:patrice: 2006 ~ 2009... thats a 3 year span
:usure: prominent artists on comeback season? only (somewhat)prominent artist on that was Trey Songz and Lil Wayne(who signed Drake).

So Far Gone was a good record and the only big feature on it was Wayne.. :comeon:

Sprite commercials...:mjlol: do you even know how marketing works??

For all the sht drake stans get, the haters are just as bad :dead:

this is an obvious L for the culture of hip hop. we've blatantly seen the direct higher up connections he has come out in full force to save his reputation from being completely demolished. there is apart of me that really is furious. it's a industry plant thing. it's an oppresion thing. it's favoritism. it's corporate greed. it's biting. there's so many angles to this that would infuriate a person who literally grew up in the culture.

i'm watching something that was black turn white and lose it's soul. i can clearly see how wrong this is while just about everyone else is cosigning it because they either don't want to be on the wrong side or just want to go along with what's cool....or you're just not going to say anything because you don't want to ruffle any feathers. the whole entire point of hip hop has been to ruffle feathers. hip hop has been calling out phonies, fakes and imitators since it's inception. faking and biting whether consensual or not is a cardinal sin in this game and right before my eyes i'm watching it become celebrated.

this one event opens the floodgates for a different type of artist to enter the scene. one that doesn't have to prove themselves with the skill of a real mc. this is the artist they wanted all along but couldn't push because at one time the public wouldn't stand for it. a hip hop artist/rapper that's using someone elses lines? get the fukk out of here. but now....within a weeks time, it's all good. this is okay....kids are rooting for this. adults are rooting for this. everything hip hop stood for is reversed because one guy had all the money and power backing him. hip hop started out as an authentic means to communicate a narrative of the ghetto when there were no suits of any kind paying attention. it was the voice of the mc telling his or her own truth.

i can't say i haven't known for a long time that hip hop has been controlled by money but this is different. this is the reversal of everything that it's about. you have a half black and white jew from upper suburbia using the platform to assert himself to the top with his television connections, just like a white kid who's father works at a major corporation. he can use daddy's position for an internship and later take over the company in a few short years without any real work put in. then you have meek....a clear child and product of the ghetto...grew up in the meanest streets in philly and well known in the battle scene. he grinded his way out. the streets spoke for him when ross came to philly. the streets told ross that he had to see about this kid meek....not connections,

now meek is the fraud and drake is the hero. drake is the creative genius and meek is the loud mouthed goon. the soft spoken Canadian who manages to get a 20 million deal with apple, host the espys and have his image plastered on billboards with nas biggie and rakim is now the face of the culture. yet he has others writing for him....this shyt just blows my mind. i'm witnessing a sad day in hip hop history but i'm just going to keep it moving. like someone said in another thread....hip hop belongs to the suits now. they knew what they were doing from day 1 with drake.
For all the Ls there have been in hip hop...this(if it is an L) is what you choose to write essays about :russ:?

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
:usure: prominent artists on comeback season? only (somewhat)prominent artist on that was Trey Songz and Lil Wayne(who signed Drake).

So Far Gone was a good record and the only big feature on it was Wayne.. :comeon:

Get Drake dikk out ya mouth

2manyFCKNrappers

mentally i measure kilos
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

For all the Ls there have been in hip hop...this(if it is an L) is what you choose to write essays about :russ:?

you're an idiot.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
:mjcry: I deadass felt so deflated reading this entire thing.
The day the reference tracks came out I was at work with that same feeling lookin at the whole history of the industry like "wow 90% of this shyt has been pure bullshyt the whole time.":why: I mean I knew on some level but this was the first time shyt *clicked* it's like waking up from the matrix and realizing all you got is zion and the nebuchadnezzar and some dusty ass gear

And to watch the people just go with it, I'm telling you this shyt is making me know who the fraudulent black folk in hollyweird are just by how they respond

DMGAINGREEN

Transitioning from Sec 8 to tha Sky scrapes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
I've been saying shyt like this forever. nikkas don't listen though. Funny, these are the same cats who are going to be pissed when a white Jewish rapper from the burbs blows up, with a team behind him. Talking about "it's just entertainment" this whole shyt was a trial run. And we failed.
Exactly now that the higher ups got conformation that being a fraud is accepted that means it's officially no holds bars when it comes to who they want to propel into the mainstream and that's scary when you really analyze it , if this was even a decade prior Meek would be the one getting praised for exposing him for not crafting his own rhymes and Drake would have got the burial treatment the fact that it's the complete opposite is evidence that alot of bullshyt is going to be on the horizon for the next decade .What I also find strange is that publications like Complex & Noisey weren't even the go to source for hip hop news until a couple years ago and out of where they just rose from obscurity and the ones that were popular before just decreased in popularity . This shyt is personally bigger than Drake man it's so much shyt to dissect were literally watching the soul / authenticity of the culture disintegrate in front of our eyes