serious discussion: Drake HAS to be an industry plant, no?

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Not that I agree with the Plant stuff, because Drake can rap. The fact the Label put a stop to the other reference tracks is the most telling and damming thing of the whole situation. As much as drake fans say it didn't matter, the fact the label put the lawyers on flex lets you know they were in fear of MAJOR backlash
Vanilla Ice technically could rap too. The difference was when he popped off the companies were behind him. He had endorsements. But Hip Hop was :scust: about it and he couldn't last.

Today, hip hop culture is so for sale, so advertised and so fake. That he has blacks and white corporations behind him. Consigning this fukkery.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah it can't be ignored. This can't be it is what it is. People doing that shyt with black genres of the past is why they all turned white.

This is catastrophic. This is very serious.

Dude has a real chance of going platinum in a week when he drops his new album, got every major media outlet caping for him, celebrities coming out of the woodwork caping for him. Not really much that can be done. He's "the guy" right now and that doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon.

What are you suggesting be done?

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Dude has a real chance of going platinum in a week when he drops his new album, got every major media outlet caping for him, celebrities coming out of the woodwork caping for him. Not really much that can be done. He's "the guy" right now and that doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon.

What are you suggesting be done?
I have no idea. And that's the craziest part. We as Hip hop fans might have really let this shyt go too far.

2manyFCKNrappers

mentally i measure kilos
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
:mjcry: I deadass felt so deflated reading this entire thing.

i know breh....it took the wind out of me, realizing what i was writing and then further realizing that it's actually true. ever since i've been on thecoli we've spoken about industry plants and the death of hip hop, but this time it's actually true. you have people celebrating ghostwriting. what you essentially have now is the machine pumping money into a shell. the inside can be anyone or anything as long as the outside and face are marketable. at first it just felt like a meek vs drake thing. it's more than ghostwriting and it's more than drake being a plant. this one event is ushering in a whole new president for what a hip hop artist can or can't be. a culture has rules, rituals and rites of passages and all those things are being burned to the ground. it's sad. while drake fans are happy drake one and meek fans are still pissed....hip hop just took her last fatal blow to the dome. when you allow the validity of the mc to be open to interpretation without a set standard you kill everything about hip hop that made it valid and unique.

HearNoEvil

World's Nerdiest DJ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SEA / ATX
We lost. We just had another one of art forms ripped from us. AGAIN :mad:

We gave up Rock. We gave up Jazz. And now we're giving up Rap. Because you spineless nikkas wanna ride the wave instead of keeping a buck.

Black people talking about authenticity doesn't matter anymore and letting white people dictate what's accepted and what's okay in our culture is fukking crazy.

You should all be ashamed of yourself. I'm not angry at Drake. I'm angry that you people let some fukking Jews invade and sellout our culture AGAIN.

You're talking far in advance, which is why some people are going to be bugging reading this.

Fact is, after the majority of hip hop fans cosigned Drake using a writing pool and being a brand, 10 years from now every mainstream rapper in the game will be doing the same.

Writing your own shyt will be considered the old fashioned way. Hip hop will be sapped of it's uniqueness everyday in the pursuit of the all mighty dollar.

Sponsorship, not freestyles. Collaborations on business ventures, not features on tracks. Pure politics, not diss tracks.

It's the beginning of the end, tbh.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
this is an obvious L for the culture of hip hop. we've blatantly seen the direct higher up connections he has come out in full force to save his reputation from being completely demolished. there is apart of me that really is furious. it's a industry plant thing. it's an oppresion thing. it's favoritism. it's corporate greed. it's biting. there's so many angles to this that would infuriate a person who literally grew up in the culture.

i'm watching something that was black turn white and lose it's soul. i can clearly see how wrong this is while just about everyone else is cosigning it because they either don't want to be on the wrong side or just want to go along with what's cool....or you're just not going to say anything because you don't want to ruffle any feathers. the whole entire point of hip hop has been to ruffle feathers. hip hop has been calling out phonies, fakes and imitators since it's inception. faking and biting whether consensual or not is a cardinal sin in this game and right before my eyes i'm watching it become celebrated.

this one event opens the floodgates for a different type of artist to enter the scene. one that doesn't have to prove themselves with the skill of a real mc. this is the artist they wanted all along but couldn't push because at one time the public wouldn't stand for it. a hip hop artist/rapper that's using someone elses lines? get the fukk out of here. but now....within a weeks time, it's all good. this is okay....kids are rooting for this. adults are rooting for this. everything hip hop stood for is reversed because one guy had all the money and power backing him. hip hop started out as an authentic means to communicate a narrative of the ghetto when there were no suits of any kind paying attention. it was the voice of the mc telling his or her own truth.

i can't say i haven't known for a long time that hip hop has been controlled by money but this is different. this is the reversal of everything that it's about. you have a half black and white jew from upper suburbia using the platform to assert himself to the top with his television connections, just like a white kid who's father works at a major corporation. he can use daddy's position for an internship and later take over the company in a few short years without any real work put in. then you have meek....a clear child and product of the ghetto...grew up in the meanest streets in philly and well known in the battle scene. he grinded his way out. the streets spoke for him when ross came to philly. the streets told ross that he had to see about this kid meek....not connections,

now meek is the fraud and drake is the hero. drake is the creative genius and meek is the loud mouthed goon. the soft spoken Canadian who manages to get a 20 million deal with apple, host the espys and have his image plastered on billboards with nas biggie and rakim is now the face of the culture. yet he has others writing for him....this shyt just blows my mind. i'm witnessing a sad day in hip hop history but i'm just going to keep it moving. like someone said in another thread....hip hop belongs to the suits now. they knew what they were doing from day 1 with drake.

Beautiful :wow:

brick james

John piffington
Daps
I'm going to need an explanation how this is different then other rappers who signed to a major record label who don't care about the culture and who only cared about dollars in order to promote and protect the artist that they are financially backing

DMGAINGREEN

Transitioning from Sec 8 to tha Sky scrapes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
this is an obvious L for the culture of hip hop. we've blatantly seen the direct higher up connections he has come out in full force to save his reputation from being completely demolished. there is apart of me that really is furious. it's a industry plant thing. it's an oppresion thing. it's favoritism. it's corporate greed. it's biting. there's so many angles to this that would infuriate a person who literally grew up in the culture.

i'm watching something that was black turn white and lose it's soul. i can clearly see how wrong this is while just about everyone else is cosigning it because they either don't want to be on the wrong side or just want to go along with what's cool....or you're just not going to say anything because you don't want to ruffle any feathers. the whole entire point of hip hop has been to ruffle feathers. hip hop has been calling out phonies, fakes and imitators since it's inception. faking and biting whether consensual or not is a cardinal sin in this game and right before my eyes i'm watching it become celebrated.

this one event opens the floodgates for a different type of artist to enter the scene. one that doesn't have to prove themselves with the skill of a real mc. this is the artist they wanted all along but couldn't push because at one time the public wouldn't stand for it. a hip hop artist/rapper that's using someone elses lines? get the fukk out of here. but now....within a weeks time, it's all good. this is okay....kids are rooting for this. adults are rooting for this. everything hip hop stood for is reversed because one guy had all the money and power backing him. hip hop started out as an authentic means to communicate a narrative of the ghetto when there were no suits of any kind paying attention. it was the voice of the mc telling his or her own truth.

i can't say i haven't known for a long time that hip hop has been controlled by money but this is different. this is the reversal of everything that it's about. you have a half black and white jew from upper suburbia using the platform to assert himself to the top with his television connections, just like a white kid who's father works at a major corporation. he can use daddy's position for an internship and later take over the company in a few short years without any real work put in. then you have meek....a clear child and product of the ghetto...grew up in the meanest streets in philly and well known in the battle scene. he grinded his way out. the streets spoke for him when ross came to philly. the streets told ross that he had to see about this kid meek....not connections,

now meek is the fraud and drake is the hero. drake is the creative genius and meek is the loud mouthed goon. the soft spoken Canadian who manages to get a 20 million deal with apple, host the espys and have his image plastered on billboards with nas biggie and rakim is now the face of the culture. yet he has others writing for him....this shyt just blows my mind. i'm witnessing a sad day in hip hop history but i'm just going to keep it moving. like someone said in another thread....hip hop belongs to the suits now. they knew what they were doing from day 1 with drake.
They really don't fukking hear you fam , this basically sums up what everybody was trying to convey from jump street :wow:

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
You're talking far in advance, which is why some people are going to be bugging reading this.

Fact is, after the majority of hip hop fans cosigned Drake using a writing pool and being a brand, 10 years from now every mainstream rapper in the game will be doing the same.

Writing your own shyt will be considered the old fashioned way. Hip hop will be sapped of it's uniqueness everyday in the pursuit of the all mighty dollar.

Sponsorship, not freestyles. Collaborations on business ventures, not features on tracks. Pure politics, not diss tracks.

I'm literally getting angry right now. I'm drinking my coffee and just shaking my head realizing how true this shyt is.

Things are actually about to change now. This is an L that people will remember forever when it's time to talk about how Hip Hop fell.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I think I saw someone else in another thread say that he wouldn't be surprised if hip-hop acts become like bands

One guy rapping, one guy writing the lyrics, one guy producing, one guy as the DJ, one guy singing, etc.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Sorry flex, This is my First Media coming out, I got you next time"-Drake freestyling from a questionable blackberry but not finishing

I remember my little bruh look watching this shyt on youtube.

I was like little bruh ...who is this faq reading off a fukking freestyle on a blackberry This shiyit straight . W
:trash:. :russ:

Who going to give this Disney pop rapper a pass?:mjlol:

Bruh told me Da o's love em tho!:stopitslime:

He got next !:francis:

It's still hard for me to believe this dude had got away with that shyt.

I cant hate tho. Some people have a ear to pick beats. While he has have a talent for choosing picking writers. Bruh has changed the game.

:troll:

HearNoEvil

World's Nerdiest DJ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SEA / ATX
I'm going to need an explanation how this is different then other rappers who signed to a major record label who don't care about the culture and who only cared about dollars in order to promote and protect the artist that they are financially backing

Drake was exposed for having a writer squad, and every single person in his massive fanbase cosigned it.

The implication here is that the average hip hop fan no longer cares about the rules. The standards of this culture no longer matter.

Drake being a brand isn't even the main problem. The reaction is. He's being applauded for being phony. This is the opposite of our genre. It's blasphemy.

The main reason this is different is because he was #1. And still gets to be after this exposal. That opens up the floodgates for a lot more fukkery breh.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
They really don't fukking hear you fam , this basically sums up what everybody was trying to convey from jump street :wow:
I've been saying shyt like this forever. nikkas don't listen though. Funny, these are the same cats who are going to be pissed when a white Jewish rapper from the burbs blows up, with a team behind him. Talking about "it's just entertainment" this whole shyt was a trial run. And we failed.