Serena Williams on the Steubenville Rape case: "I'm not blaming the girl, but..."

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Bottom line is, its a about being smart. I don't walk thru other nyggaz hoods late night shinin with all my jewels on. I dont leave my car door unlocked with the alarm off. I don't leave my doors unlocked at my crib. I don't go around fuccin hella bytches raw. I don't leave my drink unattended at clubs. Its all about protecting yourself and lookin out for your best interest. At least give yourself a fightin chance against potential fukkery that coul happen to you

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
I could walk through a bad area with a chain on and have it get snatched.

I could blame the person who snatched that shyt all day but I gotta be stupid if I don't blame myself for going against my better judgement.

She wasnt walking thru a neighborhood...she was behind closed doors with peers she thought she could trust. Now how about if you attended a party, and your boys assaulted you and stole your chain out the blue. You still gunna blame yourself for "bad judgement"?

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
So predictable. Avoid answering the question, thereby avoiding a logical fallacy. Got cha. ��
Well the point im making is not with the answer so of course I would avoid directing attention away from the point I'm trying to make.

Blackout

Daps
She wasnt walking thru a neighborhood...she was behind closed doors with peers she thought she could trust. Now how about if you attended a party, and your boys assaulted you and stole your chain out the blue. You still gunna blame yourself for "bad judgement"?
So these guys were her friends?

And she wasn't out of it from drinking too much?

So we should ignore the fact that drinking so much that you lose yourself especially without friends to watch out for you is a bad thing?

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I think what people get upset about is that they feel like these "attacks" are about the girl personally when most of us are using her as an example for future situations. what happened to her happened already, i don't see a problem in learning from her tragic situation and see the (to be fair, reasonable) mistakes in it. I don't know her, i dont even know what she looks like, but she represents my younger sister, my younger cousins, my future daughter, my future neices and my future grand daughters.

No_bammer_weed

Daps

So these guys were her friends?

And she wasn't out of it from drinking too much?

So we should ignore the fact that drinking so much that you lose yourself especially without friends to watch out for you is a bad thing?

Her rapists were her peers, and she testified that the dude she came to the party with was someone she definitely felt she could trust.

:aicmon: And nobody is "ignoring" the fact that she drank too much. I mean have you ever drank or had a risky moment or two in your life, or am I again talking to another perfect person in this thread who never had a bad night or misstep? The fact of the matter is that we are all prone to err. The "mistake" she made should not be the point of emphasis, the violent assault should. Shes a 16 y/o girl, shes not in the running to become the next pope. WTF.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
So if you decided to catch a plane and something did happen, your family wouldn't ask for a settlement right being that you knew what could happen but choose to fly anyway? Would it be okay for the airlines to be like "planes crash every week b :ld:"

The whole idea of "what could" happen is never legally plausible and there fore shouldn't be brought up to burden the victim.

So I'm guessing you wouldn't press charges correct? Being that you admittedly committed half the "crime" yourself and volunteered yourself to such abuse (by your own words) you'd just chalk up it up to the game right?

Or are you serving 1/2 of the time too? Or would you only ask for half the chain back? :ohhh:
I can't speak for others families but mine esp immediate family probably not. They wouldnt be worried about all that we not hurting for money. They would be more worried about me never coming back not the money. I'll give you if the pilot was drunk or somthing like that maybe but under normal circumstances I don't think so but hope they don't don't have to find out. So take that for whatever it's worth to you. Maybe you should come with a better question that I could definitely answer but this under normal circumstance I can say with about 90% certainty no they wouldn't.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Her rapists were her peers, and she testified that the dude she came to the party with was someone she definitely felt she could trust.

:aicmon: And nobody is "ignoring" the fact that she drank too much. I mean have you ever drank or had a risky moment or too, or am I again talking to another perfect person in this thread who never had a bad night or misstep? The fact of the matter is that we are all prone to err. The "mistake" she made should not be the point of emphasis, the violent assault should. Shes a 16 y/o girl, shes not in the running to become the next pope. WTF.

Breh, why bother? Common sense doesn't work on here.

No_bammer_weed

Daps
I think what people get upset about is that they feel like these "attacks" are about the girl personally when most of us are using her as an example for future situations. what happened to her happened already, i don't see a problem in learning from her tragic situation and see the (to be fair, reasonable) mistakes in it. I don't know her, i dont even know what she looks like, but she represents my younger sister, my younger cousins, my future daughter, my future neices and my future grand daughters.

And thats fine, and had Serena done just that there wouldnt be a thread. But the fact of the matter is that Serena made it a point to not only dismiss the gang rape as a "stupid" act, as if the boys convicted merely stole a pack of gum or something, she also went in on the young girl and her parents. Thats fcked up, and its promoting a rape culture thats very prevalent in this society. I lost a lot of respect for Serena over this...and to answer your question I am very much black, proud, and anyone here will attest, I am forceful in challenging racism and respect for our people. But just 'cause you black doesnt mean I have to support some heartless bs.

Why is it that the boys raping her is simply "stupid", while her being drunk deserves unending scorn and ridicule?

Blackout

Daps

:aicmon: And nobody is "ignoring" the fact that she drank too much. I mean have you ever drank or had a risky moment or too, or am I again talking to another perfect person in this thread who never had a bad night or misstep? The fact of the matter is that we are all prone to err. The "mistake" she made should not be the point of emphasis, the violent assault should. Shes a 16 y/o girl, shes not in the running to become the next pope. WTF.
She felt she could trust him? I doubt he was a good friend. It looks like she was saving face at the fact that she may have picked him without looking into him fully.

Yes I have risky moments but I also know the risks and expect to take blows when the risks hit me.

The mistake she made should be emphasis so other girls don't fall into the same trap.

You can tell the guy not take advantage of women all day but once a female keeps her legs shut in the first place its way more effective.

bzb

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

to be somewhat transparent to those that say she should have exercised better judgement ...

the boys she chose to hang out with at the party were widely known to call themselves the "rape crew". apparently it was a running joke of some sort inside the school's social circle. also the girl's friends tried several times to take her away before she was incapacitated and she reportedly resisted them saying she wanted to stay with the football players. this is part of the case notes.

that in no way excuses what the boys did, but it does add another layer of info to the tragedy.

PartyHeart

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Someone made a comment equating this girl's actions to walking through a den of lions with meat strapped all over your body.

:why:

Are we all just going to pretend that its not incredibly harmful to society to normalize the behavior of boys/men to that of wild animals? Just to avoid addressing them and to hammer further on what girls could do differently to prevent being victims of boys we are letting run amok?

That's the problem. Its not the girls, its the boys. But they are rarely if ever addressed, we just equate whatever vile thing they do to their so-called nature. Call it boys being boys and then chastise girls for not limiting themselves and their lifestyle further and further to not be victims of boys being boys. Its insanity to me. People will trip over themselves in order to never address the actual problem in the situation.

Azul

Sunkissed.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Comfort Zone
Of course people should practice due diligence to avoid danger but how about we teach our young men that is isn't ok to rape and piss on women.

:snoop:

Serena ain't scared of cacs, but she backtracked didn't she?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I still don't think they raped her, I think she got ran through and she regretted the shut when she sobered up. If she was unconscious when they penetrated her then that's rape but I some think that video of her being varied proves she was knocked out when she got fukked..

She chose that life as far as im concerned.