Serena Williams on the Steubenville Rape case: "I'm not blaming the girl, but..."

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
When you hang out with your friends do you expect them to commit crimes against you?

I don't think anyone is saying you should trust everyone but there are certain groups of people where you don't have your guard up around them.

My pops taught me and I will teach my kids the same.

"nikkas cool, but they ain't real"

NOBODY is your true friend a person especially a young woman, should NEVER be comfortable enough with anyone to get black out drunk in public. Your best "friend" will turn the other way while you get rapped.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm pretty sure if she knew they were going to rape her, she wouldn't have went. But no one goes to a party expecting to be raped. Even if you drank the whole 5th.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My pops taught me and I will teach my kids the same.

"nikkas cool, but they ain't real"

NOBODY is your true friend a person especially a young woman, should NEVER be comfortable enough with anyone to get black out drunk in public. Your best "friend" will turn the other way while you get rapped.

I agree with this but everyone doesn't. I don't trust anyone.

It's unfortunate it happened to ol girl but I wouldn't say she was asking for it or anything like that.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
When you hang out with your friends do you expect them to commit crimes against you?

I don't think anyone is saying you should trust everyone but there are certain groups of people where you don't have your guard up around them.
If I'm at a party with mixed friends and cats I don't know yep I'm watching out for stuff but maybe that's just me cause I've been around some BS situations and I'm on my sugafree "if you stay ready you don't have to get ready" vibe. I also watch cats with my drinks/food if they not fam. My fam could get me but I equate them to winning the lottery. It could happen but the chances are slim even though i know its happened where somebodys family members have done those types of things. I just don't like when you say people to be cautious so maybe this doesn't or you reduce the chances of something happening to the next person you are such an evil person. That's why they have PSA like them fukked up smoking commercials to show you the dangers of what can happen to you when you don't take precautions that you should. This is sensitive but we still must use these as teaching points to show others not to not enjoy life but try to use your best judgement at all times even when doing "normal" things.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I'm pretty sure if she knew they were going to rape her, she wouldn't have went. But no one goes to a party expecting to be raped. Even if you drank the whole 5th.

That is the problem getting drunk can cause more then just a hangover.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
yea, this is the thing i always hate about these situations when people scream don't blame the victim... I don't want to "blame" them, but the idea that we have to teach our boys is silly to me personally when i think about my daughter in the future... i cant sit back and rely on a bunch of non existent individuals making sure that they raise their sons to not be pieces of shyt... i protect my daughter by teaching her to keep her damn head up... shyt is sad and it's only made worse by the fact that it was very avoidable...

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
if she didn't know already, Serena is about to find out how these cacs really feel about her

they been lettin her know how they feel about her on the internet, I swear everytime she comes up there's a stream of comments either saying she looks like a gorilla, how she a man and should play with the men etc

shyt be havin me :aicmon:

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
I dont know all of the details if this story but i will say that this woe is me victim shyt the media always wants to portray is crazy. Like other people have said dont put yourself in a postition for this type of stuff to happen and it wont. Not saying its her fault, im only saying people need to be aware of whats going on around them and shyt like this is less likely to happen

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Y'all idiots think that a female has to look like a slut and inebriated to the point of unconsciousness to be a victim of rape. Which is furthest from the truth. Serena should of known better.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
Let me ask you a question breh, and i'm not addressing this particular post, but hear me out anyways.

If you had a daughter who was 16 years old, and wanted to get black out drunk around a bunch of teenage boys. Do you not think this is unwise behavior? Can you really no expect any negative consequences from such actions? I'm stressing the personal responsibility and accountability that's missing in your posts. No one is saying "Well she gets what she deserves" However, if things are the way the are, meaning people get raped often, and often use alcohol as an aid, then you should take measures to avoid such a strong possibility of occuring on you.

Let me ask you this, you are at a party with a bunch of ex-cons, and they want to get you black out drunk and encourage you to keep drinking and drinking, even handing you drinks...Are you going to feel comfortable and uninhibited to keep drinking around these nikkas? Or are you going to have some fukking common sense and think that maybe these nikkas are trying to rob you or rape your ass?

But I reject your established starting point in your analogy. If I were partying with ex-cons, then I was knowingly entering into a dangerous situation, and I abandoned all good common sense to stay and remain. Thats what you and others are trying to impose on this young girl, and thats some serious social naivete. Ex-cons arent my friends...these teenagers were her peers, and people she knew. She explicitly stated that she thought she could trust them in court.

Rapists arent going to come across as if they're creepy trolls under the bridge. They were no doubt charming, pleasant, and promised fun and seemed cool. Rapists manipulate. What you think she knew there was a good chance she was going to be gang raped and pissed on, and she went ahead anyway and got blacked out drunk for the hell of it? They were all having a good time until she lost control, no doubt.

Of course Im not going to encourage someone I love to get blacked out drunk anywhere, but if an error in judgment is made thats not an excuse to violate someone in such a devastating way. You say that you are not excusing the actions of the rapists, but if thats the case why are you guys putting such an emphasis on her "personal responsibility" in getting drunk and trusting these cats, and not the rapists responsibility? She's not responsible for anything that happened that night.

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
But I reject your established starting point in your analogy. If I were partying with ex-cons, then I was knowingly entering into a dangerous situation, and I abandoned all good common sense to stay and remain. Thats what you and others are trying to impose on this young girl, and thats some serious social naivete. Ex-cons arent my friends...these teenagers were her peers, and people she knew. She explicitly stated that she thought she could trust them in court.

Rapists arent going to come across as if they're creepy trolls under the bridge. They were no doubt charming, pleasant, and promised fun and seemed cool. Rapists manipulate. What you think she knew there was a good chance she was going to be gang raped and pissed on, and she went ahead anyway and got blacked out drunk for the hell of it? They were all having a good time until she lost control, no doubt.

Of course Im not going to encourage someone I love to get blacked out drunk anywhere, but if an error in judgment is made thats not an excuse to violate someone in such a devastating way. You say that you are not excusing the actions of the rapists, but if thats the case why are you guys putting such an emphasis on her "personal responsibility" in getting drunk and trusting these cats, and not the rapists responsibility?

Everyone knows teenage boys are horny as hell, if you're the only girl around and getting pissed drunk, and dudes giving you drinks, it's not a safe situation.

The reason we're putting so much emphasis on personal responsibility, is because she can't help what other people are going to do, BUT SHE CAN HELP WHAT SHE DOES. It's the world we live in, monsters are among us, but you can't live like those monsters don't exist and expect not to be fukked over. Why is it so hard for people to look in the mirror and go "Yeah I fukked up, that wasn't very smart"?

The fact is girls often get raped in such situations, and it's the parent's duty to educate their young girls on shyt like this. This isn't some rare occurence where you can chalk it up to shyt just happening.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Victims should never sponsor any of the blame because that just keeps giving criminals leeway to keep pushing humanity back to the brink to protect themselves.

At that point you're letting criminals predict your lifestyle, not actually stoping crime, which should be the ultimate goal no matter how impossible it seems.

You can't live your life to meet the standards of a criminals abilities. You'll end up with no freedoms and under the reign of criminals. Kids should feel safe around other kids, point blank.

I get where you're coming from but I don't entirely agree. I don't believe you can stop evil from existing. It will always be there just like there will always be genuine good. The best we can do is, firstly, punish those who commit crimes as justly and as publicly as possible in hopes that it deters aspiring criminals and repeat offenders. Then secondly, while we should still live our lives, socialize, and have fun, I believe we should take precautions to reduce the possibility of being a victim.

We are sexual and social creatures, I'm not saying a woman can't dress sexy, go out and enjoy an alcoholic beverage. I'm saying she should be as responsible as reasonably expected without going overboard to the point of a sheltered lifestyle. The good in us that is disgusted with the evil ways of man say it SHOULDN'T have to be this way. We should feel safe around our peers, be able to drink as much as we want without fearing if we'll be attacked in our stupor, and we should be able to go to the ATM machine in the middle of the night and feel 100% safe, but it isn't like that.

"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way." - Marlo Stanfield

Let me be clear in saying I do not BLAME the victim or SYMPATHIZE with the rapist. I am just saying I wish she would've been smarter so that those cowards might not have been successful in their attack. She's a 16 year old girl. Her body hasn't even fully developed yet, but yet she drank so much that she blacked out for 6 hours and can't remember anything. It's an innocent victim who made a poor decision and that's always the saddest case to see.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
ddont see anything wrong with what Serena said TBH. but as a rule you shouldn't comment on shyt you aren't informed about.