Serena Williams on the Steubenville Rape case: "I'm not blaming the girl, but..."

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
The social function is not the issue IMO. It's some kids behavior or lack of moral compass is the problem. I've been to plenty of HS parties back when I was a teenager and majority of the kids that I hung out with knew right from wrong. We all had jokes and shyt, but there's a line you don't cross. The kids that always tip-toed and went over the line were always the same kids party after party. The lack of parenting these kids received is the problem.

Ummm.... I didn't say the social function was the issue. I bolded the entire statement. Then I made an elaborative statement after it. Drinking shouldn't be common place at a high school party, and we shouldn't treat it as such. If you remove the drinking from the equation, then I have no issue with the party, so long as nothing else illegal was taking place.

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
So leaving your door unlocked means you're asking to be robbed?

Do you do that? because I see a lot of people practicing what they otherwise don't preach. If you ain't practicing what you preach, then your opinion is moot. We don't live in a perfect world, adjust accordingly or get got. I know wolves are lurking, I'm not going to make myself prey just because of some ideal.

Mountain

All Star
Daps
Reppin
more money
What you and Serena are dismissing is the idea of betrayal. When people victim blame, they tend to position the victim's decision making as being egregious and reckless, rather than reasonable. Well if you didnt do "this" you wouldnt have been raped. Well rapists generally come across as very charming, likable, and they no doubt made this girl feel comfortable heading into the evening and during the course of the night in question. The point is that she was betrayed by people she reasonably felt she could trust. She was not drinking with random strangers in the back of an alley. I wish you and others would stop trying to pathologize her decisions.

Its no different than if you were with people you felt you could trust, and then they turned around and betrayed that trust.

The existence of betrayal does not absolve a lack of responsibility. If I get extremely drunk and find my self unable to defend myself from an assault by people who betray me it'd be ridiculous if i said "well I'm completely not at fault here because I was betrayed". I'd have to take partial responsibility because I chose to drink to a point where I couldn't defend myself properly. If you make a choice, you are partially responsible for anything that occurs as a result of it by definition. That's why as adults we need to stress the importance of personal responsibility instead of implying that doing so is "victim shaming".

By the way, I just read that the girl was slipped a micky, if that's true then she had no choice in the matter and shares no blame at all.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
I would NEVER condone rape, want someone to be raped, or say someone deserved to get raped. EVER. No matter who they are or what they're wearing.

With that said, if someone covered themselves in raw meat on some Lady Gaga shyt and walked through a den of lions, would you be surprised if the Lion tore their ass to pieces? They were kinda setting themselves up for that kind of treatment, right?

That's what I'm saying bruh. NOONE is giving a pass to the rapist but let a lesson be learned to avoid putting yourself in those terrible situations. Plenty of girls need to hear that lesson over and over and I am sure there are girls who took it easy on drinking at parties after they heard about this case.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Well, the Serena comment, and this particular case, is what Ive been responding to and what the discussion is here, and not some general idea of female safety, but I see what you're saying.

Yeah maybe I didn't make it initially clear enough that my point was more general than this particular case and what Serena said.

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ummm.... I didn't say the social function was the issue. I bolded the entire statement. Then I made an elaborative statement after it. Drinking shouldn't be common place at a high school party, and we shouldn't treat it as such. If you remove the drinking from the equation, then I have no issue with the party, so long as nothing else illegal was taking place.

Drinking is part of the HS social function. You can't get rid of it.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
The existence of betrayal does not absolve a lack of responsibility. If I get extremely drunk and find my self unable to defend myself from an assault by people who betray me it'd be ridiculous if i said "well I'm completely not at fault here because I was betrayed". I'd have to take partial responsibility because I chose to drink to a point where I couldn't defend myself properly. If you make a choice, you are partially responsible for anything that occurs as a result of it by definition. That's why as adults we need to stress the importance of personal responsibility instead of implying that doing so is "victim shaming".

By the way, I just read that the girl was slipped a micky, if that's true then she had no choice in the matter and shares no blame at all.

So you dont think there would be self-awareness on your part that you made an error in judgment in accepting a party invitation, getting drunk, and then being brutally assaulted by people whom you had a reasonable expectation to trust? You really think you would need people lecturing you about "personal responsibility", and ridiculing you over your decision to attend that party and drink? Wouldnt that be something that you would be naturally regretful over, because it led to such grave consequences that you, and you alone, suffered?

Thats the problem here. A lack of empathy. People seem so unwilling to put themselves in other people's shoes, and try to feel what someone who is hurt is obviously feeling. Its easy to shame and try to further embarrass a victim, and had Serena wanted to avoid that and make a general point about personal responsibility among young females, she could have accomplished that without putting this victim's name, her situation, and her family in her mouth.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
I See Nothing With What Serena Said. You Dont Want To Get RapeD? Dont Put Yourself InQuestionable Situations. Dont Be The Only Female In A House Full Of nikkas Getting Drunk. Tnis Is The World We Live In. But The Self Righteous Liberal fukks In This Thread Will Have You Believe Their Is No Personal Accountability For The Situations People Put Themselves In.Excuses Like Well She WasYoung. Guess What So Where The Boys. Well Ghey Knew Rape Was Wrong Guess What She Knew Getting fukked Up Underage Was Wrong Too. It Is Unfortunate What Happen To Her But It Was Preventable.

DaChampIsHere

Survive the drought
Daps
Reppin
Great Pyramids of Giza
if someone covered themselves in raw meat on some Lady Gaga shyt and walked through a den of lions, would you be surprised if the Lion tore their ass to pieces? They were kinda setting themselves up for that kind of treatment, right?

Right, Because, you, as a man, like a wild animal, don't have the ability to control yourself or to reason or the ability to under stand what "NO" means or what consent. You don't know right from wrong, only animal instinct.

Young males and men and general are definitely the equivalent of wild animals. :ohhh:

Great analogy, dumbass. :troll:

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
So you dont think there would be self-awareness on your part that you made an error in judgment in accepting a party invitation, getting drunk, and then being brutally assaulted by people whom you had a reasonable expectation to trust? You really think you would need people lecturing you about "personal responsibility", and ridiculing you over your decision to attend that party and drink? Wouldnt that be something that you would be naturally regretful over, because it led to such grave consequences that you, and you alone, suffered?

Thats the problem here. A lack of empathy. People seem so unwilling to put themselves in other people's shoes, and try to feel what someone who is hurt is obviously feeling. Its easy to shame and try to further embarrass a victim, and had Serena wanted to avoid that and make a general point about personal responsibility among young females, she could have accomplished that without putting this victim's name, her situation, and her family in her mouth.
To all my other posters bold shows why dude is beyond a fukking idiot it's so :mindblown: To my knowledge none of us are talking to this girl (or even know her). We are on a damn messageboard. Why can we not talk to each other on a messageboard about this? Dude really going to use that excuse like we flooding ole girls twitter, email, Facebook, etc with these same comments. Nobody with any manners would tell a victim that ESP right after it happened but to say nothing eventually is just as bad. I know it's hard but you have to leave emotions out of serious things or else you start usually losing sight of the real objective and sillyness like this comes up. Most can't use emotions and still be rational you see it all the time on here and IRL.

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
:deadrose: @ Serena's "I'm sorry for what was written" non-apology

:snoop: @ the victim blaming

:russ: @ "black people party like this, white people party like this"

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Right, Because, you, as a man, like a wild animal, don't have the ability to control yourself or to reason or the ability to under stand what "NO" means or what consent. You don't know right from wrong, only animal instinct.

Young males and men and general are definitely the equivalent of wild animals. :ohhh:

Great analogy, dumbass. :troll:

You're speaking to me as if I am capable of rape when I am not. A man who would rape a woman has a mindset more liken to an instinctive, primal animal than one with enough morale to not take advantage of a drunk girl regardless of how stupid she is.

The point of analogy is that you shouldn't put yourself in a vulnerable position to be attacked by animal or man. That flew over your head with your weak attempt to diss.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
Do you do that? because I see a lot of people practicing what they otherwise don't preach. If you ain't practicing what you preach, then your opinion is moot. We don't live in a perfect world, adjust accordingly or get got. I know wolves are lurking, I'm not going to make myself prey just because of some ideal.

But lets say this. Say for whatever reason you made a slight error one night, and forgot to lock the door which led to a home invasion in which you were robbed and beaten to within an inch of your life. Making an error in judgment does not mean you deserved, or asked for such a violent result, correct? Yes, of course you understand you should have locked the door that night --- so what? What does ridiculing you after the fact supposed to accomplish?