Sea of Stars (by the creators of The Messenger)

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
The KO mechanic makes this game feel way too forgiving. The writing is definitely rated E as hell.

It's fun but I feel like I would've enjoyed this game way more if I was in elementary school playing this on a GBA. It lacks the seriousness and urgency of chrono trigger. So far anyway.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The KO mechanic makes this game feel way too forgiving. The writing is definitely rated E as hell.

It's fun but I feel like I would've enjoyed this game way more if I was in elementary school playing this on a GBA. It lacks the seriousness and urgency of chrono trigger. So far anyway.
That and the plot doesn't really even seem like it's doing anything until between 9-10 hours. That Dweller of Woe boss fight and the aftermath is awesome but before that things just feel like they're going through the motions.

Chrono Trigger didn't take anywhere near as long to feel like something was happening. You start this game and a guy is telling you a story then almost as soon as he starts telling it you go through a flashback to an even earlier time. Why didn't he just start at their childhood?

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
That and the plot doesn't really even seem like it's doing anything until between 9-10 hours. That Dweller of Woe boss fight and the aftermath is awesome but before that things just feel like they're going through the motions.

Chrono Trigger didn't take anywhere near as long to feel like something was happening. You start this game and a guy is telling you a story then almost as soon as he starts telling it you go through a flashback to an even earlier time. Why didn't he just start at their childhood?
I agree, the very beginning of the game was a pretty amateur deus ex machina that doesn't feel coherent at all.

I always kind of scoff at the idea that companies need to hire writers sometimes because I feel like anyone can do it but when I see these indie games sometimes man.. :patrice:

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
I’m still giving this a shot this weekend but is this really wack compared to OT2 and Chained Echoes?

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

It's nothing like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 6 besides 'looking' like those games (kind of). It has none of the incredible set pieces or story events that made those games memorable.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I don't like comparing it to the games its modeled after - CT/FF6/etc. But compared to Chained Echoes? Another game that's taken its shot at recreating the formula with modern QoL additions and streamlining? It doesn't feel close outside of the art.

I'm still really early though.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I’m still giving this a shot this weekend but is this really wack compared to OT2 and Chained Echoes?
Paced much more slowly. Chained Echoes imo was as good as it gets when it comes to laying down modern pacing with classic themes.

Again, there's good stuff there - and if I hadn't played Chained Echoes, Octopath, Triangle Strat, etc I'd be blown away by this. Instead it just feels like it meets the modern baseline on 'new retro'. But this is slower than Triangle Strategy and that was a deliberate choice to table-set first *then* get to the plot.

This? The first two hours could've been a slideshow and nothing of value would've been lost.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Paced much more slowly. Chained Echoes imo was as good as it gets when it comes to laying down modern pacing with classic themes.

Again, there's good stuff there - and if I hadn't played Chained Echoes, Octopath, Triangle Strat, etc I'd be blown away by this. Instead it just feels like it meets the modern baseline on 'new retro'. But this is slower than Triangle Strategy and that was a deliberate choice to table-set first *then* get to the plot.

This? The first two hours could've been a slideshow and nothing of value would've been lost.
Agreed.

I think this is a good, great even, entry for a relatively new developer, but this is receiving more attention and fanfare than those games you are mentioning and I can't say it deserves it. It's very cookie cutter, by the numbers.

I'd go as far as to say this is a gateway/introductory turn based rpg for people who are new to them, but there doesn't seem to be much here for seasoned players who have seen it all already.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Agreed.

I think this is a good, great even, entry for a relatively new developer, but this is receiving more attention and fanfare than those games you are mentioning and I can't say it deserves it. It's very cookie cutter, by the numbers.

I'd go as far as to say this is a gateway/introductory turn based rpg for people who are new to them, but there doesn't seem to be much here for seasoned players who have seen it all already.
I'm still early on so it may very well be that this is just early game-isms.

The bar for these retro inspired JRPGs is FAR higher than it used to be though. I think that some of the accessibility has overridden the actual substance to the release for sure though. I don't think the game is bad by any metric at all. I just think its getting exceptional props from a lot of outlets simply because they simply ignored a lot of other high quality games in the same lane - that were less visible due to release platform.

Like in some of this game's reviews, its getting props for doing shyt that Crosscode did :francis: which came out waaaaaay back. I'll get over it eventually but its just jarring to see it get a standing ovation for hitting the same marks Cosmic Star Heroine pulled off.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They really expect me to believe that Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger are 92 and this is a 90. That it stands almost shoulder to shoulder with a classic like that? Meanwhile Xenogears is an 84? Lunar Silver Star Story Complete is a 78?

I'm sorry but this isn't better than Xenogears or Lunar. That's not to say this isn't a solid attempt to make a game in the style of old but this having a 90 is damn near putting it with classics,