Sea of Stars (by the creators of The Messenger)

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Freaking love this game.

The music is great and the story is good, the boss battles are great.

However, I don't like they add relics in this game cause it's cheating and crazy part is that you still get trophies when you turn relics on, etc. I prefer didn't use any relics, I like challenge

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
home stretch of this and :aicmon: im beating this purely out of sunken cost motivation at this point
Freaking love this game.

The music is great and the story is good, the boss battles are great.

However, I don't like they add relics in this game cause it's cheating and crazy part is that you still get trophies when you turn relics on, etc. I prefer didn't use any relics, I like challenge
dont use em then lol

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Is there games you even do like these days tho, lol? Especially rpgs?
Yeah. And I just pointed out several when I compared to SoS to other new retro pixel JRPGs in the same lane on the last page.

Plus I never once even said the game was bad. Just that it wasn't great like how a bunch of reviewers said initially. :yeshrug: Is this a decent game? Yeah. Duh. Is it better than or on the same level as Octopath 2? Hell nah lol and that's not a wild take either.

Early on, I felt like they should've dropped the JRPG stuff completely and leaned on the puzzle/platformer aspects instead - that's actually really good but broken up by the lame fights - and towards the end I'm even more convinced of that. For a beautiful game, there's a lot of wasted space and its weird. Also this party is ass top to bottom.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah. And I just pointed out several when I compared to SoS to other new retro pixel JRPGs in the same lane on the last page.

Plus I never once even said the game was bad. Just that it wasn't great like how a bunch of reviewers said initially. :yeshrug: Is this a decent game? Yeah. Duh. Is it better than or on the same level as Octopath 2? Hell nah lol and that's not a wild take either.

Early on, I felt like they should've dropped the JRPG stuff completely and leaned on the puzzle/platformer aspects instead - that's actually really good but broken up by the lame fights - and towards the end I'm even more convinced of that. For a beautiful game, there's a lot of wasted space and its weird. Also this party is ass top to bottom.
Agree to disagree.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Early on, I felt like they should've dropped the JRPG stuff completely and leaned on the puzzle/platformer aspects instead - that's actually really good but broken up by the lame fights - and towards the end I'm even more convinced of that. For a beautiful game, there's a lot of wasted space and it’s weird. Also this party is ass top to bottom.
I couldn’t have said it better

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Then stop acting butthurt when I don't glaze what you glaze :dead: like I told you to bush the game or something
I never said or acted like any of that. Simply noticed that you tend to dislike something more often than not and spoke on it. Nothing to do with me bruh. That's your perogative. :manny:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I never said or acted like any of that. Simply noticed that you tend to dislike something more often than not and spoke on it. Nothing to do with me bruh. That's your perogative. :manny:
In all fairness people hyped this game up to insane levels. The game is fine but 90/100? That's a bit much.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
In all fairness people hyped this game up to insane levels. The game is fine but 90/100? That's a bit much.
In all fairness, it actually feels like it'll land on that site to me already. Seems plenty others feel the same. It seems to land on everything it sought out to do. Not like it's Starfielding the game outchea. Your free to feel how you feel tho. :manny: :heh:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
In all fairness, it actually feels like it'll land on that site to me already. Seems plenty others feel the same. It seems to land on everything it sought out to do. Not like it's Starfielding the game outchea. Your free to feel how you feel tho. :manny: :heh:
Any when yall praise a game and put it in the same breath of classics you gonna get people who aren't so easy to please off nostalgia tearing it down. We're talking games that are beloved by almost everyone 20+ years later. Games with iconic characters and stories. New and or interesting ideas with their battle systems. Being a competent nostalgia trip hardly equates to 9/10. Chrono Trigger is a 9/10 level game, Final Fantasy VI is. This just isn't at their levels.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
bruh please stop trying to treat me like one of these junkies that's up in arms over how far you can walk in a straight line in starfield or something. i've stated clearly what's bothering me about the title. i'm not shouting down anyone enjoying the game at all. never even said it was bad or don't buy it either.

stop worrying if people don't like something as much as you like it. stop reading into posts beyond what they actually say. you grown.

and if you want to know what i like or don't like its not that hard to find posts on here :dead: just like the ones where I was all in on this title back before the screenshots even dropped lol

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If I was asked what unique things Chained Echoes does I could say it does things with it's story most other JRPGs don't do. Especially games of the older era. It forces you to employ strategies in it's battle system where in you can't brute force your way through the game.

In comparison this game looks prettier but outside of that I can't really nail down what makes it unique. It doesn't seem to have it's own identity. It's lacking a lot of RPG mechanics. I don't remember it having status defects of buffs. You mostly just brute force your way through the battles and when forced to lean back on the story and characters seemed pretty bland. Chained Echoes had a pretty bland lead character that late in the game they took in an interesting direction. That tied into the female lead and romance of the game. Chained Echoes subverts damn near every mainstream trope in the genre.

How the lead character was lead to believe he was the female lead's lover when he was really a drunk entitled a$$hole that ruined her life. He spend his life reincarnating trying to make up for it and when the current him found out who he was he had a mental breakdown. In the end he pretty much gave up on life and gave his powers to his friend and ended his life.