Sea of Stars (by the creators of The Messenger)

Carl Tethers

@mastermind is OVO
Supporter
Daps
I swear a lot of folk hyping the fukk out of this probably dropped cash on the Kickstarter and don't want to feel like they got burned :birdman:I picked it up again and the shyt is mid-tier compared to most of the recent pseudo-90s RPGs. Shallow story, shallow gameplay

Wouldn't usually be so hard on a game that's so fukking inoffensive but much better titles have dropped with none of the fanfare this got :manny:

Last edited:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They really expect me to believe that Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger are 92 and this is a 90. That it stands almost shoulder to shoulder with a classic like that? Meanwhile Xenogears is an 84? Lunar Silver Star Story Complete is a 78?

I'm sorry but this isn't better than Xenogears or Lunar. That's not to say this isn't a solid attempt to make a game in the style of old but this having a 90 is damn near putting it with classics,

Can't compare reviews now to back then, people had much higher standards back then.

A few hours into this and it is a 7/10 - very playable but completely unoriginal.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I swear a lot of folk hyping the fukk out of this probably dropped cash on the Kickstarter and don't want to feel like they got burned :birdman:I picked it up again and the shyt is mid-tier compared to most of the recent pseudo-90s RPGs. Shallow story, shallow gameplay

Wouldn't usually be so hard on a game that's so fukking inoffensive but much better titles have dropped with none of the fanfare this got :manny:
I was hoping this shyt would be like Chained Echoes and Restore the Feeling :mjcry:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Can't compare reviews now to back then, people had much higher standards back then.

A few hours into this and it is a 7/10 - very playable but completely unoriginal.

Damn, feels like they wasted a nice art style on a bland story. Its not everyday we get pixel art that looks this good

Like chained echoes looks like some rpg maker shyt compared to this game :hubie:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Damn, feels like they wasted a nice art style on a bland story. Its not everyday we get pixel art that looks this good

Like chained echoes looks like some rpg maker shyt compared to this game :hubie:
stop trying so hard :dead: goddamn lol

this game looks great - but a *lot* of games look great on the pixel front now. this game ain't star renegades and chained echoes ain't symphony of war. and there's plenty of non-turn based 2d games that pull off some incredible stuff too.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps

Standards were lower back in the days. Quit playing.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So this deserves a better score than FF6? fukking clown. :russ:
Technically FF6 is barely higher. The fact of the matter is game reviews are broken and don't even use the whole scale. it's usually from 6-10 and really only 7-10 matters.

When someone plays a game and enjoys it that limits them mainly to an 8 or a 9 unless they feel like it's close to perfect. That's how a game like this and Chrono Trigger end up with damn near the same score. Because most of the scale isn't used so a classic game ends up with a 9 something and a modern game somebody really liked but obviously doesn't seem like a classic ends up scored too close to it. Xenogears has more charm in it's first couple hours than this game has had in almost 10 for me yet it's an 84 on Metacritic. The game came out in 1998 and is still remembered today. I doubt in a quarter decade most people remember Sea of Stars like that yet the reviews say its a better game by the numbers.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I'm about 4 hours into the game and I don't see why folks hating on this. Game is a fun and beautiful throwback game. It's not hard, but doesn't really have to be and your average RPG isn't really that difficult anyway. Especially considering that most of them can be easily broken. So I don't get the difficulty complaint much either. Just because it's getting better reviews overall and more attention than that ho-hum looking ass chain of echoes got folks in here in a tizzy.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The shopkeeper really had some bars in The Messenger. The king with the ring inscription story will stick with me for the rest of my life. I’m sure it’s just a general parable, but “this too shall pass” actually changed my life/mindset for the better.

Never really followed them, didn’t even realize they were working all this time

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I'm about 4 hours into the game and I don't see why folks hating on this. Game is a fun and beautiful throwback game. It's not hard, but doesn't really have to be and your average RPG isn't really that difficult anyway. Especially considering that most of them can be easily broken. So I don't get the difficulty complaint much either. Just because it's getting better reviews overall and more attention than that ho-hum looking ass chain of echoes got folks in here in a tizzy.
Chained Echoes reviewed great lol that's not really the issue.

Saying these are eye to eye is though. And according to metacritic, the early narrative is already correcting itself a bit. This game got a push - it is what it is.

The more people play, the more this legend of dragoon timing system is gonna get old. Might be hitting the halfway point and honestly this could've been better off as a puzzle-platformer.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I got in about 8 hours so far and I'm having a lot of fun. It's great. I just arrived at Wraith Island and I'm listening to the band jam in the inn :mj:

The combat system is engaging and has quite some depth underneath the surface; The combat mechanics are tight, they mesh well with one another, so you end up keeping track of many variables when deciding your next moves. How much mana do I want to regain and to do what, when will the opp play, how can I boost my attack or do a combo and chain it with another move so as to break their shield before they can play, should I reposition an enemy so the AoE of my attack breaks two monsters' shields in one swing... Add to that the dynamic rhythm element, and you have a recipe that makes each encounter a pleasure to go through.

I also like how much food plays a role in the gameplay. I had already noticed and appreciated that aspect in the demo and it's still there, and I assume it'll only grow in importance as I progress and difficulty ramps up. The pixel art looks good asf when you cook :noah:

The environments look and feel amazing to traverse. That's one of the most pleasant surprises I had with the game so far. The first big town has no business being this huge and dense :damn: That wasn't in the demo! The puzzles that are generously peppered all over are also entertaining, so combined with the ambient sounds and the great soundtrack, I'm having a blast just cruising throughout the map.

The story so far is engaging to a point I didn't expect. O.K., I didn't anticipate much but it seems they built quite the lore and I'm just starting to unravel it. The stories you can listen to at the campfire are dope and very reminiscing of the Shopkeeper's from the Messenger (which is great) in that they're not only legitimately good, they're tied to the main narrative and makes the world feel all the more anchored in something real. The characters haven't shown me much yet but I like them. And the comedy that I loved in the Messenger is definitely back, even if it's more subdued, which is great since the context calls for it.

One last thing that I've noticed and I'm intrigued about is the game's approach to difficulty: instead of opting to put different modes, they weaved them in the games through relics that you can buy and activate and that alleviate some parts of the challenge, which is fascinating, because it's... What items normally do. So besides them designating those items as difficulty modifiers, they're not different in essence than any other optional RPG item. And in effect, they do allow you to change how hard going through the game is. As soon as I realized that's what it was, I deactivated my shyt and stopped buying them. But... I have no issue buying and using regular items. Which again, follow the same principle and make the game easier for me. I don't know, I never really thought about it that way. That's interesting to me.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I got in about 8 hours so far and I'm having a lot of fun. It's great. I just arrived at Wraith Island and I'm listening to the band jam in the inn :mj:

The combat system is engaging and has quite some depth underneath the surface; The combat mechanics are tight, they mesh well with one another, so you end up keeping track of many variables when deciding your next moves. How much mana do I want to regain and to do what, when will the opp play, how can I boost my attack or do a combo and chain it with another move so as to break their shield before they can play, should I reposition an enemy so the AoE of my attack breaks two monsters' shields in one swing... Add to that the dynamic rhythm element, and you have a recipe that makes each encounter a pleasure to go through.

I also like how much food plays a role in the gameplay. I had already noticed and appreciated that aspect in the demo and it's still there, and I assume it'll only grow in importance as I progress and difficulty ramps up. The pixel art looks good asf when you cook :noah:

The environments look and feel amazing to traverse. That's one of the most pleasant surprises I had with the game so far. The first big town has no business being this huge and dense :damn: That wasn't in the demo! The puzzles that are generously peppered all over are also entertaining, so combined with the ambient sounds and the great soundtrack, I'm having a blast just cruising throughout the map.

The story so far is engaging to a point I didn't expect. O.K., I didn't anticipate much but it seems they built quite the lore and I'm just starting to unravel it. The stories you can listen to at the campfire are dope and very reminiscing of the Shopkeeper's from the Messenger (which is great) in that they're not only legitimately good, they're tied to the main narrative and makes the world feel all the more anchored in something real. The characters haven't shown me much yet but I like them. And the comedy that I loved in the Messenger is definitely back, even if it's more subdued, which is great since the context calls for it.

One last thing that I've noticed and I'm intrigued about is the game's approach to difficulty: instead of opting to put different modes, they weaved them in the games through relics that you can buy and activate and that alleviate some parts of the challenge, which is fascinating, because it's... What items normally do. So besides them designating those items as difficulty modifiers, they're not different in essence than any other optional RPG item. And in effect, they do allow you to change how hard going through the game is. As soon as I realized that's what it was, I deactivated my shyt and stopped buying them. But... I have no issue buying and using regular items. Which again, follow the same principle and make the game easier for me. I don't know, I never really thought about it that way. That's interesting to me.
We're at the same point and about the same hours as well. And I pretty much agree wth everything you said here.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

The game picked up at that point. Really great boss battle there.