Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Um... the difference is they LOOK Asian... but lets not act like Japan been doing white washed anime since Speed Racer. Next thing you know people is going to be in faux outrage over casting a white girl for SAILOR MOON.
The faster you learn that it has nothing to do with the way that characters look, and everything to do with corrupt practices, the easier things will be for you to understand. It doesn't matter what the characters look like. It didn't matter in that Egypt movie. It didn't matter in that exodus movie. It didn't TLA, and it won't matter in GITS.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The faster you learn that it has nothing to do with the way that characters look, and everything to do with corrupt practices, the easier things will be for you to understand. It doesn't matter what the characters look like. It didn't matter in that Egypt movie. It didn't matter in that exodus movie. It didn't TLA, and it won't matter in GITS.

The faster you realize that WHITE SUPREMACY and conditioning isn't only an American thing and a GLOBAL disease, the faster you will understand that JAPAN is equally complicit in whitewashing their OWN anime and manga. Or have you NOT noticed that yet?

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
The faster you realize that WHITE SUPREMACY and conditioning isn't only an American thing and a GLOBAL disease, the faster you will understand that JAPAN is equally complicit in whitewashing their OWN anime and manga. Or have you NOT noticed that yet?
Like I just said nimrod. This doesn't just happen to Japanese movies. Hollywood has taken characters of color and made them white long before there was an argument set that said "well these characters are drawn white, therefore how can you be mad?" This has been happening for decades. How can they be equally complicit in an epidemic that has been raging long before it hit them directly?

Affleck as Tony Mendes
Mickey Rooney as Mr Yunoshi?
Jake G in POPSOT?

This has been happening, and this latest excuse of "well they draw their characters white" is a fukking cop out. This has been happening since the fukking 60s and now you wanna use that an excuse?

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I didn't read none of the comments but I see a bit of a double standard when it comes to Japanese anime and a hypocrisy by Marvel fanboys who ain't saying shyt about the more BLATANT white washing in DOC STRANGE with The Ancient One. Meranwhile, ScarJo actually LOOKS like that of the anime.... if you want come be outrage of whitewashing anime characters as well as in manga, put that blame at the self-hating Japanese animators and artists that love to have all of their HEROIC characters be WHITE PEOPLE.... Motoko Kusanagi is drawn and look like a WHITE WOMAN with purple hair.

As a matter of fact.... why IS there an outrage when the animators have this?

ghost_in_the_shell_character_concept_design_by_tataar-d87wspy.jpg

Breh, they are basing Motoko's look on the original 1995 movie.

Here's ScarJo.

Now here's Motoko in the 1995 movie.

ghost-in-the-shell-1460646994.gif

2241826-motoko.jpg

2241822-ghost_in_the_shell_motoko_kusanagi.jpg

Motoko is not white. Nor was she ever meant to be white. There are actual white people in Ghost in the Shell. Motoko herself described one of the people she came across as white.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Major is not white. She's simply not. and there's an argument to be made that she doesn't even look white. GITS separates it's Asian characters from its white characters.

Also, stop pretending that Hollywood needs a reason to white wash characters.

Katara_and_Sokka_cartoon_versus_film_versions.jpg

I guess this happened because they were drawn "like white people" too huh?:martin:

Real talk.

I don't know why brehs keep on using that "they look like white people" arguement. Avatar the last airbender proved that shyt was irrelevant.

And again, to those saying this, why then would the studio try to use CGI to make white people asian then?

• Dap
Reactions: flo

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like I just said nimrod. This doesn't just happen to Japanese movies. Hollywood has taken characters of color and made them white long before there was an argument set that said "well these characters are drawn white, therefore how can you be mad?" This has been happening for decades. How can they be equally complicit in an epidemic that has been raging long before it hit them directly?

Affleck as Tony Mendes
Mickey Rooney as Mr Yunoshi?
Jake G in POPSOT?

This has been happening, and this latest excuse of "well they draw their characters white" is a fukking cop out. This has been happening since the fukking 60s and now you wanna use that an excuse?

I'm not even defending Hollywood... but calling out JAPAN for their own bullshyt...to which you are defending. You know damn well they white wash themselves in anime and manga! Stop claiming they do not.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
I'm not even defending Hollywood... but calling out JAPAN for their own bullshyt...to which you are defending. You know damn well they white wash themselves in anime and manga! Stop claiming they do not.
Point A is they DONT!

point B is even if they didn't, Hollywood would still whitewash their characters. That's been proven already.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Point A is they DONT!

point B is even if they didn't, Hollywood would still whitewash their characters. That's been proven already.

Point A... they DO. You really think the conditioning of white supremacy is only limited in just the United States do you? That shyt is GLOBAL. And that westernized influence is profound in Japan. This is from personal experience from living there for three years.

Point B, Hollywood whitewash and take liberties of ethnic cultures ALL the time and most of you same people crying outrage ignore it when it is something that you want to see. But since you want to be SELECTIVE in political correctness now. Then you HAVE to call out Japan on the same bullshyt. You cannot have it both ways at all.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Point A... they DO. You really think the conditioning of white supremacy is only limited in just the United States do you? That shyt is GLOBAL. And that westernized influence is profound in Japan. This is from personal experience from living there for three years.

Point B, Hollywood whitewash and take liberties of ethnic cultures ALL the time and most of you same people crying outrage ignore it when it is something that you want to see. But since you want to be SELECTIVE in political correctness now. Then you HAVE to call out Japan on the same bullshyt. You cannot have it both ways at all.
You keep saying that WS is global as if your saying something profound or groundbreaking. We know WS is global.

To your second wrong opinion, you're wrong. I've been waiting for a GITS live action for a long ass time. Nothing selective about it, I ain't going to watch this shyt.

You keep missing the point and I'm getting tired of making it.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Point A is they DONT!

The self-hating white-worshiping Japanese can't even accurately represent themselves in the media that they themselves control, so why would Hollywood suddenly do it properly for them?:mjlol:

They're probably thrilled that Scarlett Johannson is playing the character as she looks just like the character :yeshrug:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
i hear you my only point is that the people who did the casting dropped the ball. It seems like this is based of confusion of the character and they jumped they gun on the ScarJO idea in light of the marve movies on some "oh scarjo does martial arts in these movies and has sex appeal, lets just hire her and call it a day". It was the easiest decision at the time without doing ground work on the character, the culture of japan surrounding this anime and felt that scarjo would recieve north american appeal from audiences where as a lesser known, but talented, asain actress wouldnt

nikkas still gotta be held accountable for whitewashing tho best believe:ufdup:

There was no confusion. Hollywood is very familiar with Ghost in the Shell. It got a lot of good reviews when it came out in theaters in 1995. A lot of hollywood heavyweights gave it a lot of props. The Matrix is heavily influenced by Ghost in the Shell, for example.

The studio trying to CGI white actors to make them look asian is further proof that this wasn't an accident or was there confusion either. These folks may be highly tone-deaf, but they aren't complete idiots. They knew what they were trying to do.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
The self-hating white-worshiping Japanese can't even accurately represent themselves in the media that they themselves control, so why would Hollywood suddenly do it properly for them?:mjlol:

They're probably thrilled that Scarlett Johannson is playing the character as she looks just like the character :yeshrug:
ScarJo looks just like the Major? In what way :what:

• Dap
Reactions: flo