Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

Daps
Reppin
Canada
Hollywood doesn't need a reason to white wash anything. They just do it. Think about it.

I've been nice about this so far despite the stupidity I've been reading in this thread. Just think about it. Since when does a white entertainment industry need an excuse?

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Hollywood doesn't need a reason to white wash anything. They just do it. Think about it.

I've been nice about this so far despite the stupidity I've been reading in this thread. Just think about it. Since when does a white entertainment industry need an excuse?

Word to Exodus, Gods of Egypt, Prince of Persia and so on.

If it was about the characters looking white, why did the studio tried to pull some digitial yellow face on the low?

The studio knows damn well that they couldn't pull that crap excuse on Ghost in the Shell. The lead is japanese. Her name is japanese. The story is set in Japan. Most of her team are Japanese. There are actual white people in the movie and the characters, including the lead, plainly mentions the fact that said character is a white man.

That "well the character's look white" thing is complete cop out.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw P's Coat Hangers
Shame.

GITS was one of the shows that got me into anime in the 1st place.

And they have a white woman playing a character FROM JAPAN in a future BASED IN JAPAN named MOTOKO KUSANAGI, a Japanese name (I wonder if people will refer to her as "The Major" the whole movie to avoid suspension of disbelief...:mjpls: ).

There are PLENTY of Asian actresses that could've been called on (my vote was the girl from Pacific Rim, I forget her name), but they went this route...

I wonder if the 1st Japanese name to come up on the imdb cast list will be a common criminal or a member of the Yakuza or a salaryman that gets gunned down in the opening action scene...? :jbhmm:

You know, keeping with traction with the movie that had Sigourney Weaver as the queen of Egypt.:mjlol:

And side note:
Why is it when Hollywood whitewashes characters, the go-to line is "We need established actors; star power is key"?

Jennifer Lawrence was a nobody til she played Katniss.
Sam Worthington with Avatar and the Terminator sequel.
Chris Pine with Star Trek.

Those movies did BIG numbers with a lack of star power.
But that only accounts for white actors, don't it?

Just say you wanna see Cacs on the big screen and keep non-Cacs off of them, save for criminal, stereotypical, or disposable roles and KIM.

Non-white will understand and proceed from there.
We'll :scust::pacspit::shaq2: at you while doing so, but we'll understand.

With that being said.......

I'll see it when I can torrent a HQ version of it.
It won't see a red cent of my money.
:yeshrug:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
That "well the character's look white" thing is complete cop out.

Not just a cop-out but a complete misconception because they don't know about the history behind the "classic" character aesthetics in anime/manga. Everyone who actually follows manga/anime a bit (not just some 'I saw 10 episodes of Dragonball back in the day') knows that most manga distinguish their Asian characters from Western/white characters without any mistake about their ethnicity, because the character design most often is just the mainstream character design that's needed to actually reach a big audience, the different hair colors and eye colors (which go hand in hand with all the different hair styles) are to make characters stand out more aesthetically. It's that fukking simple. People can keep claiming the character looks white but I ain't never seen a white chick with purple hair called Motoko Kusanagi and it's as simple as that.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
And side note:
Why is it when Hollywood whitewashes characters, the go-to line is "We need established actors; star power is key"?

Jennifer Lawrence was a nobody til she played Katniss.
Sam Worthington with Avatar and the Terminator sequel.
Chris Pine with Star Trek.

Those movies did BIG numbers with a lack of star power.
But that only accounts for white actors, don't it?
Lawrence won an Oscar and The Hunger Games was a pretty big YA novel at the time.
They're James Cameron movies and it's Star Trek.

But that doesn't shy away from the fact you don't need established actors as long as the story is good.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Who cares? Those japs are obsessed with blonde blue eyed whites so maybe they'd be happy to see a blonde blue eyed white play Asian. It's what they want.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

Max is just explaining how the Industry loves to think "Only White People will sell movies". That's no excuse, sorry. You don't have to be an "A-List" to sell a movie. They could of easily got a no-name asian actress and surrounded her with A-List talent. They do that with White Actors all the time. So Please. If we go by his logic all movies will forever be White. This is why all these whitewashing movies are bombing so they can't use "It makes money" as an excuse anymore.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Max is just explaining how the Industry loves to think "Only White People will sell movies". That's no excuse, sorry. You don't have to be an "A-List" to sell a movie. They could of easily got a no-name asian actress and surrounded her with A-List talent. They do that with White Actors all the time. So Please. If we go by his logic all movies will forever be White. This is why all these whitewashing movies are bombing so they can't use "It makes money" as an excuse anymore.

Well he saying its a problem with American culture not just the studios

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There is alot of you could pick apart about what Max said. Max said don't be mad at the studio, directors, actors or the film industries...bullshyt. You can't me tell the studio's haven't tried to make stars putting huge budgets behind actors we never heard of or those who never had a box office draw. The new 'it' actor is always white. But time and time again alot of these actors flop. Black actors/ non white actors don't get the chance to flop because it is decided they can't sell the movie in the first place which is BS. Point is if you want to make a star you can and numerous flops tell us white actors doesn't equal success.

We can go beyond the big budget movies. Alot of these samller independent films cost millions to make. The loss might not be as a comic book movie flopping but its still millions of dollars. Quite often these five to twenty million dollars, limited release, festival movies dont make any money, which he points out. However, I remember watching an interview with Gina Prince-bythewood(Love and Basketball) and she said every studio said they would fund her film 'Beyond the Lights' if she made the male lead white. Look at that statement. We have a independent movie market in which alot of films don't make the budgets back with white leads but a director is told to cast a white lead to secure funding. All the chances to suceed, fail, and fail again, and then maybe suceed. Big budget, small budget it's all the same!

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Lawrence won an Oscar and The Hunger Games was a pretty big YA novel at the time.
They're James Cameron movies and it's Star Trek.

But that doesn't shy away from the fact you don't need established actors as long as the story is good.

GITS is one of the most famous animes of all time. At least top 3. You don't need star power for this movie. People have been talking about a live action GITS for at least 15 years. That's bullshyt.

GITS is more famous than the hunger games. They should have gone with an Asian Actress

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
GITS is one of the most famous animes of all time. At least top 3. You don't need star power for this movie. People have been talking about a live action GITS for at least 15 years. That's bullshyt.

GITS is more famous than the hunger games. They should have gone with an Asian Actress

Yea, this isn't some random anime property. This is one of the most respected Anime franchises on earth.

James Cameron bigged it up when it came out in 1995.

The Wachowski jacked A LOT of shyt from GITS and put it in the matrix. They flat out said it was a major influence for them.

Hollywood been knowing about this franchise for years now.