Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Digital white washing :mjlol:

‘Ghost in the Shell’ Ran Tests to Make White Actors Look Asian

Back in late 2015 when Scarlett Johansson was cast in Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks’ live-action adaptation of Masamune Shirow’s manga series The Ghost in the Shell, fans were already critical of the casting of the Danish-Polish actress in the role of Major Motoko Kusanagi, an Asian woman. It was the latest example of the long Hollywood tradition of “whitewashing,” the practice of casting white actors in non-white roles. Recent films have been criticized for casting Emma Stone as a half-Chinese/half-Hawaiian woman (Aloha), Rooney Mara as a Native American (Pan) and the entire caucasian cast of Gods of Egypt playing Egyptians. And that was just in 2015.

Yesterday, as the first photo of Johansson in Ghost in the Shell (her character is now simply referred to as “Major”) was released, the controversy was renewed. Despite a predominately Asian cast, many questioned why the studio didn’t choose an ethnically appropriate actor as the film’s lead. Chinese-American actress Ming-Na Wen (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) had strong words for Johansson’s casting on Twitter.

After the backlash surrounding Johansson’s role in the film, producers reportedly attempted to quell the controversy with an old standby Hollywood uses to fix a lot of problems: CGI.

According to multiple independent sources close to the project, Paramount and DreamWorks commissioned visual effects tests that would’ve altered Scarlett Johansson in post-production to “shift her ethnicity” and make the Caucasian actress appear more Asian in the film.

It’s the latest, and most extreme, case of “beauty work,” the new trend in Hollywood to discreetly use visual effects to tweak an actor’s appearance, making them thinner, younger or stronger. The Ghost in the Shell tests were conducted by Lola VFX, the same company that aged up (and down) Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and is considered the industry leader in so-called beauty work. Though the tests were requested by the production team, once they were developed and reviewed, the idea was rejected “immediately,” says an insider.

We reached out to Paramount Pictures who acknowledged the tests, but refute the claim that Johansson was involved:

A test was done related to a specific scene for a background actor which was ultimately discarded. Absolutely no visual effects tests were conducted on Scarlett’s character and we have no future plans to do so.

Our sources maintain Johansson’s character was specifically the focus of these tests, though they were done without her participation or knowledge.

A representative for Lola VFX did not respond to requests for comment.

Read More: ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Ran Tests to Make White Actors Look Asian | ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Ran Tests to Make White Actors Look Asian

Tom Hanks really might come out in a movie called the last nikka on earth :ohhh:

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
fukk this white washing piece of a shyt film. Avatar all over again. Hollywood disgusts me. GITS is a Japanese story through and through.
It bothers me too, I've been waiting for a live action GITS for a minute. I'm
Not even sure if I want to watch it now.

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't read none of the comments but I see a bit of a double standard when it comes to Japanese anime and a hypocrisy by Marvel fanboys who ain't saying shyt about the more BLATANT white washing in DOC STRANGE with The Ancient One. Meranwhile, ScarJo actually LOOKS like that of the anime.... if you want come be outrage of whitewashing anime characters as well as in manga, put that blame at the self-hating Japanese animators and artists that love to have all of their HEROIC characters be WHITE PEOPLE.... Motoko Kusanagi is drawn and look like a WHITE WOMAN with purple hair.

As a matter of fact.... why IS there an outrage when the animators have this?

ghost_in_the_shell_character_concept_design_by_tataar-d87wspy.jpg

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
I don't get why ppl act blind. fukk outta hear with that classic character aesthetic bullshyt. It's been proven that Japanese ppl want to be white. These companies give them what they want to see. The faux outrage needs to stop.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I don't get why ppl act blind. fukk outta hear with that classic character aesthetic bullshyt. It's been proven that Japanese ppl want to be white. These companies give them what they want to see. The faux outrage needs to stop.

By who, cuz their centuries of closed borders POST meeting with white people doesn't say that.

If anything their adoption of certain aspects of western culture was a result of industrialization more than anything. Anyone who has ever been to Japan will tell you it might be one of the few places where people DON'T want to be white.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
I didn't read none of the comments but I see a bit of a double standard when it comes to Japanese anime and a hypocrisy by Marvel fanboys who ain't saying shyt about the more BLATANT white washing in DOC STRANGE with The Ancient One. Meranwhile, ScarJo actually LOOKS like that of the anime.... if you want come be outrage of whitewashing anime characters as well as in manga, put that blame at the self-hating Japanese animators and artists that love to have all of their HEROIC characters be WHITE PEOPLE.... Motoko Kusanagi is drawn and look like a WHITE WOMAN with purple hair.

As a matter of fact.... why IS there an outrage when the animators have this?

ghost_in_the_shell_character_concept_design_by_tataar-d87wspy.jpg
Major is not white. She's simply not. and there's an argument to be made that she doesn't even look white. GITS separates it's Asian characters from its white characters.

Also, stop pretending that Hollywood needs a reason to white wash characters.

Katara_and_Sokka_cartoon_versus_film_versions.jpg

I guess this happened because they were drawn "like white people" too huh?:martin:

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
By who, cuz their centuries of closed borders POST meeting with white people doesn't say that.

If anything their adoption of certain aspects of western culture was a result of industrialization more than anything. Anyone who has ever been to Japan will tell you it might be one of the few places where people DON'T want to be white.
:comeon: I've been to Japan and I won't tell you this because it isn't true

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Major is not white. She's simply not. and there's an argument to be made that she doesn't even look white. GITS separates it's Asian characters from its white characters.

Also, stop pretending that Hollywood needs a reason to white wash characters.

Katara_and_Sokka_cartoon_versus_film_versions.jpg

I guess this happened because they were drawn "like white people" too huh?:martin:

Um... the difference is they LOOK Asian... but lets not act like Japan been doing white washed anime since Speed Racer. Next thing you know people is going to be in faux outrage over casting a white girl for SAILOR MOON.