Scarlett Johansson to star in "GHOST IN THE SHELL"

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
It's okay to frown towards all forms of white washing. Not just when it's done to blacks.

Same nikkas who are ignoring and defending this are the same ones who are gonna be :damn: :wtf: when they have Liam Hemsworth star in a live action Afro Samurai.

I don't mind them playing favorites or being selective, it is what it is.

I just wish they would be honest and admit the game Hollywood is running. It's clear as day.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Just another White power fantasy :yeshrug:

Powerful character is drawn Caucasian, weak and powerless one is drawn Asian. That self-hate :wow:

44-dame-sigh.gif

lol c'mon breh, have you watched the OG movie? There's a very good reason why Togusa was brought into Section 9. Breh is far from weak. Motoko requested him to be in the unit personally.

Motoko is the one doing most of the action in the film. And she's not white.

Last edited:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
People keep making up a whole lot of bullshyt about Japanese culture without actually knowing anything about it. In history the view of a "beautiful" woman in Japan has been a youthful smooth skin. Since sunlight affects the skin, to maintain their beauty women would avoid sunlight and remain pale. As such pale, white skin became synonymous with beauty, which goes further if you look at the traditional geisha wearing completely white make-up and always carried an umbrella with them.

nEHuKVM.jpg

bxRaskL.jpg

mfP4hZz.jpg

This is why even today pale, whitish skin is seen as a sign of beauty, not some nationwide obsession to be like white people.

The traditional character design of manga/anime characters all derives from the OG, Astro Boy, whose design was inspired by Donald Duck cartoons where characters had big eyes and other facial features (nose, mouth) were generally smaller. Astro Boy was so popular that this design style (big eyes, small noses and mouths) made its way into other manga more and more and eventually it evolved into the traditional design we all know, often with very uncharacteristic eye and hair color for aesthetic purposes as to separate characters (not just within a manga/anime, but also with characters from other manga/anime).

6lkhUko.jpg

mAX8lyb.png

7Iz1ysm.jpg

See, looking at the last picture you could argue that having blue eyes is something white people have, so the character must be white, right? Except if you look again you might also notice he also has blue hair that match his eyes, and nobody in the whole fukking world has natural blue hair. That's because of aesthetics. Look at the female characters from the same show:

AfyjEAJ.jpg

Three girls with purple hair, two of them having very unnatural purple eyes, and then there's also a silver haired girl for good measure. Ain't that something? You know why they have those hair and eye colors? fukking aesthetics.

Aesthetics is why Roronoa Zoro has green hair to match the green in his outfit.

85pFcuQ.jpg

And it's aesthetics which is why Moko Kusanagi has purple hair, while the character design is based on the traditional anime look which has nothing to do with making the characters look white, but everything with that look being the most prevalent look in anime/manga and widely seen as the only marketable "mainstream" look. Which is the real reason why nearly every mangaka draws in that style.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
It's okay to frown towards all forms of white washing. Not just when it's done to blacks.

Same nikkas who are ignoring and defending this are the same ones who are gonna be :damn: :wtf: when they have Liam Hemsworth star in a live action Afro Samurai.

White Washing when it's already White-Washed in the fist place by the self-hating creators :dead:

44-dame-sigh.gif

lol c'mon breh, have you watched the OG movie? There's a very good reason why Togusa was brought into Section 9. Breh is far from weak. Motoko requested him to be in the unit personally.

Motoko is the one doing most of the action in the film. And she's not white.

I haven't watched it and was going off what you said. You mentioned that the two characters drawn White are enhanced which means they're powerful characters. The character who isn't enhanced is instead drawn Asian and powerless. The former is the fantasy and the latter is the perceived reality and self-hatred. It is what it is.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
White Washing when it's already White-Washed in the fist place by the self-hating creators :dead:

I haven't watched it and was going off what you said. You mentioned that the two characters drawn White are enhanced which means they're powerful characters. The character who isn't enhanced is instead drawn Asian and powerless. The former is the fantasy and the latter is the perceived reality and self-hatred. It is what it is.

:whoa: Whoa there, let's clear some stuff up.

1. Motoko is not white, nor do I think she's drawn white, especially in the OG movie. All I said was that her eyes look different (as in, not completely human) because she's part cyborg. Same with Batou.

2. Most of the characters in the movie / show are not white. The one dude from the Squad who could def pass off for white is Batou, who the studio for the live-action film racebent into a white dude.

3. There are actual white people in the OG movie and the show, and you could def tell who they are. They are even referred to as white.

4. Cyborgs / enhanced humans are very common in that universe, across the world. It isn't relegated to white-looking people only.

5. Togusa, the "normal" dude, is actually a very skilled cop and investigator. He's also lucky in the sense that he fully knows who he is, where he's from, and knows that his body is truly his body. A lot of cyborgs' bodies are actually mass-produced, meaning several cyborgs have the same face, same model, etc. The only difference usually is that they have different brains inside, which comes with different memories, experiences, identities, etc. While Motoko sometimes wonders who she really is and her background, Togusa doesn't have to worry about that. Him being "normal" was a reason why Motoko requested that he be in the squad.

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
This bytch better be naked still mad at her for getting rid of her OG t*ts so they better cgi them mafukkas to make em look bigger like in the anime :youngsabo:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
:comeon: I've been to Japan and I won't tell you this because it isn't true

I've heard different. But since I have no first hand account I'll fall back on this one. However, the point stands that outside of white-washing and trying to use a big name the was really no reason to cast ScarJo. Not when there prolly a fukk tonne of Asian actresses who coulda brought some illness to the role. ScarJos isn't even really a good actress. I don't think she does cold stillness well.

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I don't get why ppl act blind. fukk outta hear with that classic character aesthetic bullshyt. It's been proven that Japanese ppl want to be white. These companies give them what they want to see. The faux outrage needs to stop.

By who, cuz their centuries of closed borders POST meeting with white people doesn't say that.

If anything their adoption of certain aspects of western culture was a result of industrialization more than anything. Anyone who has ever been to Japan will tell you it might be one of the few places where people DON'T want to be white.

:comeon: I've been to Japan and I won't tell you this because it isn't true

I also been to Japan was for 2 years and what @Lord Beasley sayiny is true I seem more heavily influenced white than black over there it also can depend on where u at in Japan cuz certain parts are heavy urban influenced too

But in general I seen more white but was more surprised how much black was out there too