Rumor: HBO Max may be folding into Discovery+

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
There was a rumor yesterday that Rap shyt might be cancelled before the end of this week, due to the merger.
Show is pretty awful IMO and I have every reason under the sun to support Issa.

Also don’t know if the pure ratchet demo this documents/caters to (LAHH, basketball wives crowd) is paying for HBOMax to give it the views it needs. But it’s Issa, doubt any exec would cancel her ATM

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

Vinyl was an HBO show, not a Max one.

Bu but HBO is safe they said…tho no ratings juggernauts, I enjoyed watching some of HBO’s lesser shows in my down time as vinyl, how to make it in America, and treme are still head and shoulders above the bullshyt reality shows on TV :why:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
FZWGO4FX0AEsLoP
FZWGO4CWYAEIlpV
:dead: @ whatever exec approved shark week and 90 day fiancé sitting side by side with GOT, Batman, Superman and Harry Potter. As well as fixer upper and property brothers in the same sentence with friends, Big Bang and SATC

This is delusional and shows absolutely no value for quality content. Just wow

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's crazy how the perception of the Discovery brand has changed over the years, including by the people actually running it.

In the 90s and 2000s, Discovery was known for educational content, beautiful documentaries like Planet Earth, and popular science shows like Mythbusters and Through the Wormhole.

Now it's known for cheap, trashy reality TV. shyt is basically E or Bravo status. :francis:

Pretty much mirrors the perception of Americana.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
:dead: @ whatever exec approved shark week and 90 day fiancé sitting side by side with GOT, Batman, Superman and Harry Potter. As well as fixer upper and property brothers in the same sentence with friends, Big Bang and SATC

This is delusional and shows absolutely no value for quality content. Just wow
Yup that's the key. The new CEO was behind a lot those reality TV shows coming up at Warner/Discovery and clearly doesn't think scripted television is better. To him it's just more expensive which is the problem.

I get not wanting to make films for streaming since that's a loss of money, especially when they already got access to Warner/New Line/HBO movies. But pausing on scripted shows is insane. HBO Max is winning right now because they got the most content humans want to watch - not an algorithms that says "we need a show with a black woman and her gay best friend, set during a dinosaur war."
:francis:

Netflix already showed us that when streaming services become television - trashy reality tv, commercials/etc, etc - they lose subs. So watching these guys double down on that is insane.

Jcotton1

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Ole cut the cord brehs. Y'all paying mad paper for all these subs just to see some shows. How is that working out for y'all? My big brother mad pissed cause he ain't saving no paper. I'm laughing cause my direct TV and my Verizon FiOS is easy. I pay it and keep it pushing.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Yup that's the key. The new CEO was behind a lot those reality TV shows coming up at Warner/Discovery and clearly doesn't think scripted television is better. To him it's just more expensive which is the problem.

I get not wanting to make films for streaming since that's a loss of money, especially when they already got access to Warner/New Line/HBO movies. But pausing on scripted shows is insane. HBO Max is winning right now because they got the most content humans want to watch - not an algorithms that says "we need a show with a black woman and her gay best friend, set during a dinosaur war."
:francis:

Netflix already showed us that when streaming services become television - trashy reality tv, commercials/etc, etc - they lose subs. So watching these guys double down on that is insane.
It isn't a problem at all as it's the truth and even all of the streamers would tell you that. Why pay more to create scripted content when you can't create reality TV ones for less at a higher profit and get the same number of viewers. People acting surprised about this are overlooking the fact that this has been happening for years now with network television and it was only a matter of time before streaming followed suit.

The streamers was always doomed to fail from the jump as it was more expensive to create 24/7 content instead of cable where you could easily use filler content as needed. People overlooked that notion and didn't realize that they were helping to create the one thing they were trying to run away from.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
the intent is to have someone watch the service the entire day.

Most people would watch the TLC/Food stuff during the day and then a movie at night. They dont want a person to have to switch a service to do that.

They want to have a service with everything so once you're subscribed you will never want to leave