Rumor: HBO Max may be folding into Discovery+

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It's crazy how the perception of the Discovery brand has changed over the years, including by the people actually running it.

In the 90s and 2000s, Discovery was known for educational content, beautiful documentaries like Planet Earth, and popular science shows like Mythbusters and Through the Wormhole.

Now it's known for cheap, trashy reality TV. shyt is basically E or Bravo status. :francis:
HGTV is the shyt tho.
:ufdup:

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
More details on the new app:

For starters, there will be one service, under one brand, name still to be determined. The U.S. launch will be summer 2023, with Latin America to follow later that year, and Europe and other markets following in 2024.

The service will feature the full “unique and complementary” content libraries of both services, but will use the tech stack of Discovery+, which Perrette said received more positive feedback from users than HBO Max’s interface.

I've never used Discovery+ even when that shyt was offered for free. I will say that HBO Max is too busy, akin to Prime Video. The Hubs being at the bottom is poor design. Not only that but there is a second row of HBO Max Hubs at the very bottom of the home screen, 9 rows below the initial row of Max Hubs :dwillhuh: Add that to the fact that the Max Hubs are also accessible via the side menu and it's just too much redundancy. They gotta simplify that shyt. Bring those Hubs up top like Disney+ does and remove the clutter.

70971a57-cccb-490b-bc88-b2ff6e58e6fd_text.gif

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Im talking more about what they categorize as major and what how they are grouping their audience as

Its very backwards and 2000s.
they really should've used the quadrant scale but this is how they categorize brands still
it doesn't mean other people don't enjoy it. it's just that that's highest type of people that brand draws :yeshrug:

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
It's crazy how the perception of the Discovery brand has changed over the years, including by the people actually running it.

In the 90s and 2000s, Discovery was known for educational content, beautiful documentaries like Planet Earth, and popular science shows like Mythbusters and Through the Wormhole.

Now it's known for cheap, trashy reality TV. shyt is basically E or Bravo status. :francis:

I spent a lot hours as a kid watching those serengeti national park doc

:wow:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
And wtf is a 'genredom' anyway? :wtf:
Fandom(HBO stuff) means viewers watch because they like the IP. Fans of Harry Potter, DC IPs, Game of Thrones.
Genredom(Discovery) viewers watch genres like House Renovation, True Crime, Cooking, Reality TV. Discovery probably have dozens of shows that fit each "genre"

I agree, that is still a wild ass word tho :mjlol:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
AT&T sold Warner to Discovery because WB carried so much debt.

The Discovery people are in charge now and their immediate goal is to cut cost. The Discovery CEO made his reputation off of reality tv. Cheap to make but very profitable.

A lot of people don’t realize that scripted streaming series isn’t a very profitable business and companies lose so much money on it.

The only companies that are completely safe are Apple & Amazon because it’s such a small part of their overall business. Disney as well to a certain extent but not as much compared to the other two.

Not every company can sustain a streaming service so in the future I expect some to shut down and go back to licensing their content to other services.
This was clear from the start with everyone doing their own thing. However, the idea that I need to pay 9.99 for 3-5 services full of reality tv is absurd. I get there is a segment of America addicted to reality shows, but the shyt proliferates a damn near every notable cable channel except the ones that show back to back reruns of old shows. Netflix is full of reality garbage, discovery+ clearly is, peacock and paramount have their share. This is insulting and really does push people back to cable or at best cord cutters bout to hop back on things like sling, YouTube TV and/oe Hulu where I can get all your junk programming for $12-60, with an occasional sub to Apple, hbo proper, and Disney+ for their premium content.