Rumor: HBO Max may be folding into Discovery+

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
Artists love to bytch and complain except when it is time to cash the check.
He isn't making it "crystal clear" by taking big studio and streaming money. He actually infamously mismanages it. If you want to act like an indie film maker you need to actually go indie.

Dude what? Why are zeroing in Scorcese that much? Oh cool you don't like his movies. What about shows like The Wire? In today's climate it would have been cancelled for mediocre ratings or wouldn't have been green lit in the first place.

The era of studios taking risks on interesting projects is over. HBO is gonna start looking like the History Channel and you might not care but I do.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Dude what? Why are zeroing in Scorcese that much? Oh cool you don't like his movies.what about shows like The Wire? In today's climate it would have been cancelled for mediocre ratings or wouldn't have been green lit in the first place.

The era of studios taking risks on interesting projects is over. HBO is gonna start looking like the History Channel and you might not care but I do.
I didn't bring up Scorsese you did.
I love his movies but he sounds like a hypocrite lambasting movie studios while spending 100s of millions of their dollars. He's been making movies for ages, he could finance his own indie joints @ a fraction of the cost at this point but he's not doing that. I wonder why?
HBO just green lit and aired David Simon's latest creation We Own The City and it was great. It's as similar to The Wire as you can get.
And we have entire studios like A24 dedicated to, "taking risks on interesting projects" and most streamers make interesting content as well as low brow lower denominator stuff. It's business you want to cover every demo and niche. The sky is falling mentality I reject, we are currently in the best era of TV ever. There's more interesting stuff then I have the ability to watch.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Nah content is king. You need steady flows of stuff constantly coming out. The fees are worth it for the smaller stuff that they cut. Like I saw that that Ellen kids show getting cut after 3 seasons, I'm gonna assume it was semi successful if its been on for 3 seasons, so go head drop some bread on it and have something you don't have to build from scratch.

And it'll be more "HBO" like ideas for those streamers. Which is a good thing according to all the folks round here who say Netflix and Prime put out nothing but mid all the time. The best of the best will get chose if they become available. It should equal to better shows being in the wings for the others.
It's a lot of mid on HBO too though. Only new show I really enjoyed was Winning Time & Mare of Easttown. Euphoria does numbers but did anything top Stranger Things, Queens Gambit, Ozark, or Squid Game over there? I don't think their recently let go writers & producers instantly become the most sought after by other streaming sites.. Raised By Wolves, Station Eleven, Tokyo Vice, The Nevers:hhh: they don't call it HBOMid for nothing

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
A company scrambling to add ad supporters tiers after a decade of not in response to losing money and subscribers ain’t nothing.

Insert “this is fine” gif

Lmao exactly... meanwhile Netflix shares are down 70% and Disney is the worst performer in the whole Dow Jones. But that's alright @AnonymityX1000 says everything is fine...lol

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
It's a lot of mid on HBO too though. Only new show I really enjoyed was Winning Time & Mare of Easttown. Euphoria does numbers but did anything top Stranger Things, Queens Gambit, Ozark, or Squid Game over there? I don't think their recently let go writers & producers instantly become the most sought after by other streaming sites.. Raised By Wolves, Station Eleven, Tokyo Vice, The Nevers:hhh: they don't call it HBOMid for nothing
Me and you gonna fight over Nevers but then you threw that slander at euphoria and I had to let it go

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Lmao exactly... meanwhile Netflix shares are down 70% and Disney is the worst performer in the whole Dow Jones. But that's alright
@AnonymityX1000 says everything is fine...lol
Hmm . . . Your Market capitalization is the stock price x the amount of outstanding stock which = value of company:

Netflix Inc NASDAQ:NFLX - Google Search

Netflix Market cap is 101 billion.

Walt Disney Co NYSE:DIS - Google Search

Walt Disney Co Market cap 196 billion

Warner Bros Discovery Inc NASDAQ:WBD - Google Search

Warner Brothers Discovery Market cap 41 billion.

The difference is clear despite recent Market fluctuations. lol

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
I didn't bring up Scorsese you did.
I love his movies but he sounds like a hypocrite lambasting movie studios while spending 100s of millions of their dollars. He's been making movies for ages, he could finance his own indie joints @ a fraction of the cost at this point but he's not doing that. I wonder why?
HBO just green lit and aired David Simon's latest creation We Own The City and it was great. It's as similar to The Wire as you can get.
And we have entire studios like A24 dedicated to, "taking risks on interesting projects" and most streamers make interesting content as well as low brow lower denominator stuff. It's business you want to cover every demo and niche. The sky is falling mentality I reject, we are currently in the best era of TV ever. There's more interesting stuff then I have the ability to watch.

I brought up Scorcese to make a general point on what he and many persons perceive as a grim future for more riskier projects in film and television
I don't know why you're bringing up A24? The heralding of a indie production companies like them as "saviours of cinema" should proove my point. Back in the day stuff like Pulp Fiction and Boogie Nights were propped up by major studios like Miramax and New Line Cinema, those days are long gone.

I don't even know how long A24 is going to last. Their being drowned out by major studios that are capable of paying cinemas for multiple screenings of their blockbuster films.

I'm trying to find it but I remember reading an article about Disney forcing theaters to have multiple screens for their films and if they refused they would threaten them with removing their movies entirely. So Dr Strange would get 20 slots and Everything Everywhere All at Once my get one. Even if you wanted to watch the latter you'd have to go out of your way to even see it. It's even worse for other indie projects.

How are riskier projects going to survive in the future?

Last edited:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Me and you gonna fight over Nevers but then you threw that slander at euphoria and I had to let it go
I like Succession as well although that last season was :patrice: They're at the same turning point Billions was at after three seasons. Do they raise the stakes and add in a new villain or plotline or fall off.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I’m all for consolidating these streaming services, but Discovery content should be featured under a subsidiary hub at best. HBO Max has built itself up as a brand well to this point with a lot of momentum. This is just a weird move if it really does come to fruition.
Yeah I’m very confused by this. Why would you not roll discovery under the HBO max umbrella? HBO max has consistently been increasing its foothold in the streaming market and gaining more of the market every year. This would be absolutely befuddling if it happened.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
i just saw the headline for this yesterday and i hope they don't change HBO Max too much. HBO Max is my favorite streaming service right now so if their plan is to basically fold HBO Max into Discovery+ app then that's whatever to me. it's a few extra clicks and maybe a new interface but whatever.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Nobody calls HBO mid, what in the 🧢 is going on in this post?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I brought up Scorcese to make a general point on what he and many persons perceive as a grim future for more riskier projects in film and television
I don't know why you're bringing up A24? The heralding of a indie production companies like them as "saviours of cinema" should proove my point. Back in the day stuff like Pulp Fiction and Boogie Nights were propped up by major studios like Miramax and New Line Cinema.

I don't even know how long A24 is going to last. Their being drowned out by major studios that are capable of paying cinemas for screenings of their blockbuster films.

I'm trying to find it but I remember reading an article about Disney forcing theaters to have multiple screens for their films and if they refused they would threaten them with removing their movies entirely
When Oscar bait season rolls around all the major studios will put out their prestige supposedly envelope pushing movies. Belfast was distributed by Universal, Dune Warner Bros., Nightmare Alley Fox/Disney, West Side Story Disney, Don't Look Up Netflix, Power of the Dog Netflix, Licorice Pizza UA/Universal, King Richard Warner Bros., CODA Apple TV. So yeah major studios still make the artsy fantasy stuff.
A24 just got their 1st 100 million movie this year with Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. They started by releasing 5 movies a year in 2013, 2021 they did 12 movies. That's growth not a studio about to go out of business.
The movie business may have seen better days but all the art/envelope pushing stuff is really on streaming and cable since people are more willing to watch stuff at home than at theaters. Especially during/directly after a pandemic.