Rumor: HBO Max may be folding into Discovery+

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
And the really dope shows will move to HBO.
No need to spend a shyt ton of money on mid ass shows and movies for a platform that is being propped up by shows from HBO and an old catalog.
HBO level quality shows were always being sent to HBO. So you're forreal not missing out on anything.
I suggest you go look up the max originals and see what they looking like to you. And not just the comic book shyt that this board has an affinity for either
I usually wait for word of mouth nowadays. I need to check Succession.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

VY2wmdR.png

That's funny. And smart too. Because I bet within an hour of that Tweet she got a phone call from somebody high up at Warner/Discovery getting the reassurance she needed, if she didn't already get it ahead of the news we just got

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
im not an exec but if i was i'd probably wanna separate the Discovery 'nature' stuff i.e. Shark Week content into a tab and then put the reality sh-t in another tab..

At most id call it "HBO Discovery" just so that the HBO name is still at the forefront

Breh that's actually a good idea:ohhh:. Even if the merge is the plan, the fact remains that if they want to not fukk up the entire platform. Just change the name, make the interface more appealing ot the masses, STOP TRYING TO SHOVE THE REALITY shyt DOWN FOLKS THROATS, and just treat the platform like a surreal experience. Sort of like the Disney bundle but more streamlined.

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's still wild to me that the damn Discovery channel is in charge of probably the most prestigious premium television company ever. The channel that's in the background at a dentist's office is now making decisions for the channel that brought us the Sopranos, the Wire, Game of Thrones and more.

Keep those things far away from each other and maintain the premium HBO brand. And this is coming from someone who will watch a trash reality show every now and then. I'm not above it.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
VY2wmdR.png

That's funny. And smart too. Because I bet within an hour of that Tweet she got a phone call from somebody high up at Warner/Discovery getting the reassurance she needed, if she didn't already get it ahead of the news we just got
There was a rumor yesterday that Rap shyt might be cancelled before the end of this week, due to the merger.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
There was a rumor yesterday that Rap shyt might be cancelled before the end of this week, due to the merger.

She has a 5-year overall deal with Warner and she's the most high profile and social media active black woman in TV right now.

Even if they wanted to cancel it this shyt is getting at least 2 seasons most likely. This is 100% a show they'd just move from Max to HBO proper.

They might slow up or cancel shyt she has in the works, but they're probably not cancelling Rap shyt. What it costs to make (not a lot) is arguably worth paying compared to the negative press they'll get for "cancelling Issa Rae's first show after Insecure for financial and business reasons"

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Nah content is king. You need steady flows of stuff constantly coming out. The fees are worth it for the smaller stuff that they cut. Like I saw that that Ellen kids show getting cut after 3 seasons, I'm gonna assume it was semi successful if its been on for 3 seasons, so go head drop some bread on it and have something you don't have to build from scratch.

We’ve already seen where this ends with Netflix. It’s when you accidentally hand over the next Big Bang Theory or a Ted Lasso juggernaut while you are losing money on an expensive Wheel of Time flop. Then the big bosses want answers of why your competition is increasing subscribers on your content while you are losing money.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
We’ve already seen where this ends with Netflix. It’s when you accidentally hand over the next Big Bang Theory or a Ted Lasso juggernaut while you are losing money on an expensive Wheel of Time flop. Then the big bosses want answers of why your competition is increasing subscribers on your content while you are losing money.
Wheel of Time is on Amazon Prime not Netflix.
Netflix still has over 200 million subscribers paying them $12/month. That's 2.4 billion a month. They not going anywhere.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
She has a 5-year overall deal with Warner and she's the most high profile and social media active black woman in TV right now.

Even if they wanted to cancel it this shyt is getting at least 2 seasons most likely. This is 100% a show they'd just move from Max to HBO proper.

They might slow up or cancel shyt she has in the works, but they're probably not cancelling Rap shyt. What it costs to make (not a lot) is arguably worth paying compared to the negative press they'll get for "cancelling Issa Rae's first show after Insecure for financial and business reasons"
I agree but they cancelled a lot of shyt yesterday including shows that weren't expensive. IF I had to bet I'd say she'll be fine for the reasons you state. The rumor took me aback. It was a list of basically everything at HBO Max minus House Of The Dragon.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Apple or Amazon will eventually become the streaming king. This is just a slow death march until that is the reality

whoever gets streaming rights deals to the NFL/NBA will come out on top
Amazon maybe but Apple doesn't have a shot. Their content is high brow, I would say most people aren't into that. Unless they change their content strategy.