Rumor: HBO Max may be folding into Discovery+

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
paying actual money to be force-fed Discovery content :pachaha:

Breh they so fukking desperate that they out here trying to get folks to cop for a dollar. Garbo ass content. I tried to enjoy it when it first arrived on the scene, but good grief they literally throat fukking reality shows and true crime shyt. Like maybe I want to look at educational content and not smut.

Curiousitystream>>>>>>

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
If this happens then this proves these streaming companies have no idea how any of this works. It seems like ALL of them are losing money because of the now over saturation of streaming platforms.

Like I am not paying for more than 2 streaming platforms, and if these idiots think low brow fast food type shows like "reality" is the way to go then they are completely out of touch.

I need to see some numbers that prove these "unscripted" shows are doing so well and loved by so many more people than the ones who like scripted shows. I didn't even know Discovery channel had a damn streaming service, these dudes are throwing shyt (money) at a wall and seeing what sticks but I am almost certain that this aint the move.

Like what shows does discovery even have? why not try to sell your product by naming it after the more well know brand?

If HBOMax is failing and netflix and Disney+ are losing money then how will Discovery+ a far less known and liked brand come in and succeed? we dont need more streaming platforms we need some of them to merge and focus on the content and not try to shyt on the fans of scripted shows.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
i had a free trial to Discovery+ and never watched a second of content. it was all low budget true crime, whatever reality competitions fall under their umbrella and shytty looking docuseries too cheap to air on the actual networks. making "discovery+" a thing fukkin sucks. just stick with the hbo name and interface, it's much higher quality.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Except when all of your competition is making their own scripted shows for their own services, what does that leave you.

HBO is a niche demo. Mostly adults.

You aren’t getting teens and young adults with Love Island and Succession
Even still, why do we act like thats not enough? There are thousands of other platforms that target kids and women. why cant adults have something?

There shouldn't be nothing wrong with your platform being niche, we need niche platforms, everything cant be for everybody. In my opinon thats when you fail. These companies expect too much, there is only so much people will pay for media and with inflation and rent being so damn high you cant expect people to be throwing money at your streaming service.

HBO Max has barely been out for two years and they have already had multiple owners, how about these dudes be patient and let their library grow before they start expecting their number to increase..

Im glad im download plex gang, I would be pissed if I aint know how to get everything I wanted

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
is it because of all them DC live-action and animated joints?

Ontop of the other scripted series or movies they produce, I suppose maybe Disney has the money and bandwidth to fund these kinds of projects?

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Even still, why do we act like thats not enough? There are thousands of other platforms that target kids and women. why cant adults have something?

There shouldn't be nothing wrong with your platform being niche, we need niche platforms, everything cant be for everybody. In my opinon thats when you fail. These companies expect too much, there is only so much people will pay for media and with inflation and rent being so damn high you cant expect people to be throwing money at your streaming service.

HBO Max has barely been out for two years and they have already had multiple owners, how about these dudes be patient and let their library grow before they start expecting their number to increase..

Im glad im download plex gang, I would be pissed if I aint know how to get everything I wanted
In a perfect world you're totally correct, but content isn't cheap to produce which means you need subscribers and fast to help justify the costs as everyone out here doesn't have Disney type bread to weather the storm until it becomes profitable (if it ever does.)

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Grace usually wrong on sh-t so not sure i'd believe that.. lol. Nobody cares about the Discovery+ aspect of the merger

Except in this case, she's someone who's been the cheerleader for the Snyderverse since the jump. Like I wouldn't be surprised if her source for some things was Snyder. She's been saying for a while to her fanbase to come down to reality and live in the now.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Except in this case, she's someone who's been the cheerleader for the Snyderverse since the jump. Like I wouldn't be surprised if her source for some things was Snyder. She's been saying for a while to her fanbase to come down to reality and live in the now.

None of this has anything to do w/ Snyder and all that. This is bigger than that. Whatever they do on Thursday they better have a plan because they can end up in the same boat as Netflix or far worse..

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
From the article above, looks like Lebron's House Party reboot may have gotten the axe too?
Meanwhile, the reboot of comedy classic “House Party,” from LeBron James and Maverick Carter’s SpringHill, was previously slated to premiere July 28 on HBO Max but was scrubbed from the release calendar.

To be sure, streaming platforms continuously add and remove content. What’s unusual is that Warner Bros. Discovery did not announce the removals of the six WB streaming exclusives from HBO Max. (The movies are available to rent or purchase through third-party VOD services.) Also worth noting is that “Moonshot” was pulled from HBO Max only about three months after its March 31 debut.

HBO Max’s removal of the Warner Bros. movies could be part of WBD’s move to get streaming-content payment obligations for underperforming titles off its books. In the case of an unreleased movie like the “House Party” remake, the media conglomerate could be accounting for it as a tax write-down, as it is expected to do with “Batgirl” and “Scoob: Holiday Haunt” (the latter of which was a sequel to the animated “Scoob!”).

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA

You’re conflating two things.

HBO and WB studios are two separate things.

HBO being niche is fine. It only programs for two nights a week with an emphasis on premium event tv on Sunday(Soprano, SATC, GOT, Succession). It reruns the other nights. WB makes movies and tv shows for cable, network, and now streaming.

HBOMax is a platform fed from these two entities. It can’t be niche. It has to cater to a worldwide audience 365 for 24 hrs a day.

Now that other studios are keeping their IPs exclusive to their own platforms, you might not see TOP Gun Maverick on HBO cause Paramount wants to to sign up for their service. Marvel stays on Disney+, etc.

So if people are tightening their belts for one or two streamers… being the home of 20 seasons of past My 600 pound Life ain’t going to make people jump on your service as opposed to getting scripted cartoons for their kids to watch, new scripted movies not on DVD, and watercooler shows to talk about on Reddit like Westworld.