Rumor: HBO Max may be folding into Discovery+

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Mans cherry-picked one show and excluded the many other offerings that have received critical acclaim. Sometimes the stannery runs too deep. :dead:

Who the hell 'stans' Hulu? You lost your mind.. i asked twice in here what to watch on there. Maybe you're stanning them for some odd reason :yeshrug:

Never heard of 'Old Man' but maybe i'll check it out

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
can Netflix buy WB or DC?...

what if Disney tries to buy WB and or DC lol?

Technically WB/DC/HBO/Discovery is all the same thing. The board of directors is made up of Warner Bros. people and Discovery people but the CEO is an old Discovery guy.

it's all the same company so either you'd be buying the whole company (which would probably be around $90B or so) or the board would have to agree to sell a 'division' of the company like say you wanted to buy all the DC ip.. that'd be a multi billion dollar purchase itself.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel like if we have a "streaming wars" documentary 10 years from now, this is the type of idiotic move that would get significant coverage in it. Nobody thought HBO Max would topple Netflix this quickly yet they did. Their goal should be continuing to strengthen the brand. Hit people with House Of The Dragon next month, do crazy numbers, and then expand. More shows, hitting more demographics. Revive the concept of "prestige HBO television," bring in more content creators for films, etc.

AT&T is retarded. They paid $85 billion for TimeWarner. Everyone told them they overpaid at the time but, of course, some dumb MBAs there thought they knew better. Now after CNN had a great couple of years due to ratings from Trump and after HBO grew to seriously threaten Netflix, they decide to sell to Discovery. For less than they paid. Not even a decade after buying it :why: And Discovery plans to rip out alot of what people love about HBO :why:

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
can Netflix buy WB or DC?...

what if Disney tries to buy WB and or DC lol?
that's a lot of money and they would have to take the debt. also anti-trust might come into play. Warner discovery is never selling DC also.
they might be able to buy AT&T's piece though which is like 28% of the company if I remember correctly but they wouldn't own the ip or call the shots

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
that's a lot of money and they would have to take the debt. also anti-trust might come into play. Warner discovery is never selling DC also.
they might be able to buy AT&T's piece though which is like 28% of the company if I remember correctly but they wouldn't own the ip or call the shots

i mean WB's back catalog alone should hold se weight.. if Netflix can scoop it (with or without DC) they would be sitting pretty.

discovery might fukk around and kill itself with this buffoonery

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
I think they already have ATT's piece, it's what started all of this. They paid 43B, I doubt it was just far partial ownership. Seems ATT had to sell WB because it needed to cover debt ATT had, caused mostly by diving all in on 5G.
At close of the WarnerMedia spinoff, AT&T had said it expected to reap $43 billion (and the new WBD to assume up to approximately $43 billion of additional debt). AT&T aimed to use the proceeds from the WarnerMedia spinoff to pay down net debt, which stood at $156.2 billion at the end of 2021.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I think they already have ATT's piece, it's what started all of this. They paid 43B, I doubt it was just far partial ownership. Seems ATT had to sell WB because it needed to cover debt ATT had, caused mostly by diving all in on 5G.
they just transferred the debt to the new company but they own a piece of the new company that they can sell off at anytime.
they actually own 71% not the 29% I got it mixed up
it's complicated as hell
Under the all-stock, Reverse Morris Trust transaction, AT&T gets $40.4 billion in cash, debt securities and WarnerMedia’s retention of certain debt. Shareholders in the telecom giant now own 71% of the new company (about 1.7 billion shares), getting 0.241917 shares of WBD for each share of AT&T common stock they held at the time of the close. Discovery shareholders own 29% of the new company. In addition to their new shares of WBD stock, AT&T shareholders continue to hold the same number of shares of AT&T common stock they held just prior to the close.

Despite being the minority stakeholder, Discovery has operational control of WBD. The company’s longtime CEO, Zaslav, has assembled a management team mostly from the ranks of his alma mater, with many of them with roots back to Zaslav’s run at NBC in the 1990s and 2000s.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
i mean WB's back catalog alone should hold se weight.. if Netflix can scoop it (with or without DC) they would be sitting pretty.

discovery might fukk around and kill itself with this buffoonery

Netflix is cutting costs bro. So is Disney. They all are. Netflix ain't gonna attempt no huge transaction in the state they are in. They are losing subs. Their stock has cratered.

Netflix shares are off 70% this year, due in large part to the streaming-video company’s disastrous first-quarter earnings. Among other things, Netflix lost 200,000 net subscribers in the March quarter—and projected losing two million more in the current one. Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has aired two fixes: reducing password sharing and exploring a lower-priced, ad-supported subscription tier.

And for as much Disney dikkriding there is on this board.. all u gotta do is look to see their stock has cratered also and their service ain't growing as fast as they thought.

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
@Eric Brooks i know both streaming services r not where they want to be.. but a move like this while cutting costs (shyt they making) can buy em some time and possibly spike subs..