Roxanne Roxanne|Roxanne Shante Biopic (starring Mahershala Ali, Nia Long ) (Discussion)

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
The coli a hip hop forum and nobody watched this movie? :skip:

:martin:

This movie was great. :blessed:

Nia Long, breh from Moonlight M Ali, ol'girl that plays Shante, cute too ( no pedo).

*Angel*

Frozen Flames Goddess
Daps
Reppin
Goddess power
Roxanne Roxanne was good. Nia and Chante did a good job. I was side eyeing her mama for giving that man that much money. That was dumb as hell. I really wanted Cross fkd up too. He was entirely too old to be pressed over a 15yr old child the way he was. And her road crew.....smh.....them nikkas. I wanted to see more battles and moments from her career but movie was still decent.
:wub: @ lil Nas.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
It was dope, but surprised they left so much of her Juice Crew stuff out. Nothing at all on "The Bridge is Over?". According to KRS she ran up on him in the bank one day and cussed him out, leaving him like :krs:

Movie ended before she even dropped her first album... weird

Nia Long killed the bitter black woman role

I actually expected that this would be a main focus of the movie. If you think about her age at the time, the line about her is kind of .... :sitdown:

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
giphy.gif

Great performances, great film and story, with a message to take to heart.

:wow:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I was hoping to see more about how Shante, as a 16 year old girl, may have been the top battle emcee
in NYC in the mid 1980s.

The movie gave no indication on just how big the Roxanne, Roxanne phenomenon was. There
were 25 answer records to UTFO's original song, including Shante's.

How'd she go from Queensbridge to doing a collab with Rick James? (Not in the movie)

Very little focus on the music. It was more like a really low-budget Lifetime movie about
domestic abuse, with my man from Moonlight bringing in the Moonlight ghetto depression
feel.

Classic battle:

Not a single mention of BDP either. I don’t think the words Juice Crew were even mentioned. I would have preferred a movie about that beef instead. It was a cool flick tho, definitely an above average lifetime movie, which is just an average movie.

The kid who played Nas in this movie was supposed to play Nas in the BET movie they announced after the success of the New Edition one. Wonder if it’s still happening.

laughslikebig

Banned
Daps
I just didn’t see the motivation in a lot of the characters to do anything they did.

U could say her moms pushed her out the house because of her issues after that dude left. But she was already pretty strict prior to him leaving.

Her moms didn’t hit her or do anything abusive really... they showed her drunk sleeping once... that just wasn’t enough to me.

A lot of blank spots and lack of follow up on some things.

Why did this dude just randomly try to rape her??? Then give her 10,000 later!?!?!?!?!

Why was her son 4, and her sisters didn’t age at all...

She just went on one tour? Then retired? (I know this isn’t true).

shyt was choppy and the ending was very abrupt.

Just my take.

No real message to it.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I just didn’t see the motivation in a lot of the characters to do anything they did.

U could say her moms pushed her out the house because of her issues after that dude left. But she was already pretty strict prior to him leaving.

Her moms didn’t hit her or do anything abusive really... they showed her drunk sleeping once... that just wasn’t enough to me.

A lot of blank spots and lack of follow up on some things.

Why did this dude just randomly try to rape her??? Then give her 10,000 later!?!?!?!?!

Why was her son 4, and her sisters didn’t age at all...

She just went on one tour? Then retired? (I know this isn’t true).

shyt was choppy and the ending was very abrupt.

Just my take.

No real message to it.
i liked the movie for the hiphop historical aspects, but i agree with everything here.
And it was funny with the Nas stuff they should have had a moment when he said his name was Nasir where they all just stared into the camera. shyt was so on the nose and corny. :mjlol:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
These older brothers dont get their asses kicked enough fukking with these young girls.
Roxanne Roxanne was good. Nia and Chante did a good job. I was side eyeing her mama for giving that man that much money. That was dumb as hell. I really wanted Cross fkd up too. He was entirely too old to be pressed over a 15yr old child the way he was. And her road crew.....smh.....them nikkas. I wanted to see more battles and moments from her career but movie was still decent.
:wub: @ lil Nas.
thats the hood kid.
how you think alotta these girls end up alone with a child, kid with no pops?
these older nikkas that aint about shyt, dont do shyt be having these young girls gassed.
shyt happened to my older sister.
these girls dont know no better.

"young bytches with attitudes pushing baby strollers."
-Lil Fame