Roxanne Roxanne|Roxanne Shante Biopic (starring Mahershala Ali, Nia Long ) (Discussion)

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
This movie was terrible.

Y’all have terrible standards for black movies.

I was hoping to see more about how Shante, as a 16 year old girl, may have been the top battle emcee
in NYC in the mid 1980s.

The movie gave no indication on just how big the Roxanne, Roxanne phenomenon was. There
were 25 answer records to UTFO's original song, including Shante's.

How'd she go from Queensbridge to doing a collab with Rick James? (Not in the movie)

Very little focus on the music. It was more like a really low-budget Lifetime movie about
domestic abuse, with my man from Moonlight bringing in the Moonlight ghetto depression
feel.

Classic battle:

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
This was a dope film. All the actors do a great job except for the white guy who she goes to for paperwork to get that money lol.

She really went through a lot, from other emcees trying to ride her wave and steal her name to even more crazy shyt. This was really dope though.

Also dope to see Nas, funny how shyt comes full circle :mjcry:
I thought he was a character on drugs, but it turned out to be shytty acting.

I thought it was interesting how the mother planted the seed of distrust of men into her kids because of her own experiences. Glad they touched on that because this happens often with single moms.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
This was a dope film. All the actors do a great job except for the white guy who she goes to for paperwork to get that money lol.

She really went through a lot, from other emcees trying to ride her wave and steal her name to even more crazy shyt. This was really dope though.

Also dope to see Nas, funny how shyt comes full circle :mjcry:

That was the dude from the Beastie Boys wasnt it?

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
I wonder

If Roxanne's situation with her drug dealer boyfriend was really that bad in real life or if it was exaggerated for film? Why did they just write it in there that dude went to jail and they never say what happens to him after that? Also if the paper work scenario was real and what made her go to a group home in real life? :jbhmm:

Last edited:

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
They had some fly Addidas track suits and shyt in this movie. I wonder if Addidas still makes that style of them :jbhmm: They really had some fly gear back then.

That was the dude from the Beastie Boys wasnt it?
Wow, didn't know it was him but looked it up and maybe it was. He was wearing a yellow button up shirt and tie, as well as some kind of wig if that was him.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
this is dope.
i dont know, i got a NYC bias. lol
especially these old joints that focus on the 80s.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
i wonder if Nas just finished eating some Bon Ton cheese popcorn...

humming a KISS rock song!

:ohhh:

that kid "kinda" resembled him too tho!
:mjlol:

bucks3115

Superstar
Daps
I was hoping to see more about how Shante, as a 16 year old girl, may have been the top battle emcee
in NYC in the mid 1980s.

The movie gave no indication on just how big the Roxanne, Roxanne phenomenon was. There
were 25 answer records to UTFO's original song, including Shante's.

How'd she go from Queensbridge to doing a collab with Rick James? (Not in the movie)

Very little focus on the music. It was more like a really low-budget Lifetime movie about
domestic abuse, with my man from Moonlight bringing in the Moonlight ghetto depression
feel.

Classic battle:

true the story was goin so fast
when the movie was done i was like already :dwillhuh: