Roxanne Roxanne|Roxanne Shante Biopic (starring Mahershala Ali, Nia Long ) (Discussion)

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
They had some fly Addidas track suits and shyt in this movie. I wonder if Addidas still makes that style of them :jbhmm: They really had some fly gear back then.

Wow, didn't know it was him but looked it up and maybe it was. He was wearing a yellow button up shirt and tie, as well as some kind of wig if that was him.

Yeah it was Ad-Rock

Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------
It was dope, but surprised they left so much of her Juice Crew stuff out. Nothing at all on "The Bridge is Over?". According to KRS she ran up on him in the bank one day and cussed him out, leaving him like :krs:

Movie ended before she even dropped her first album... weird

Nia Long killed the bitter black woman role

Last edited:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
It was dope, but surprised they left so much of her Juice Crew stuff out. Nothing at all on "The Bridge is Over?". According to KRS she ran up on him in the bank one day and cussed him out, leaving him like :krs:

Movie ended before she even dropped her first album... weird

Nia Long killed the bitter black woman role

There's a great Juice Crew miniseries/movie to be made, still.

The Kane stories alone would be bananas. :wow:

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
I thought he was a character on drugs, but it turned out to be shytty acting.

I thought it was interesting how the mother planted the seed of distrust of men into her kids because of her own experiences. Glad they touched on that because this happens often with single moms.

Yeah glad i wasn't the only one who noticed how bad his acting was.

Also I agree man, I seen it happen many times. The mother says men ain't shyt and all that kind of mess and the kids pick up on it. It's messed up but it's also why us men have to rise up to the occasion and be more responsible.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Yeah glad i wasn't the only one who noticed how bad his acting was.

Also I agree man, I seen it happen many times. The mother says men ain't shyt and all that kind of mess and the kids pick up on it. It's messed up but it's also why us men have to rise up to the occasion and be more responsible.
Did her mothers attitude actually pepper her worldview though? It’s not like she chased away any good dudes. The men in her life, across the board, were all shytty to her. That includes managers, friends, djs, band mates, boyfriends. People she decided to trust despite what her mom said.

Maybe I’m blanking but I don’t recall a single positive male adult in the movie. So if anything the message of the movie seemed less “damn, my mama ruined my outlook on men” and more “see, mama was right. Everything happened just like she told me it would.” And that is why they are closer at the end.

Last edited:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was aight

Kind of a mess, like it didn't know what kind of movie it was every 15 min

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Did her mothers attitude actually pepper her worldview though? It’s not like she chased away any good dudes. The men in her life, across the board, were all shytty to her. That includes managers, friends, djs, band mates, boyfriends. People she decided to trust despite what her mom said.

Maybe I’m blanking but I don’t recall a single positive male adult in the movie. So if anything the movie’s message was basically “see, mama was right.”
That's the paradox. Behavior is learned.

Chante was already a teenager at the time when her mom's boyfriend ghosted her. There's no telling how many other guys came into her mom's life and displayed similar traits, and Chante had been around long enough to witness it.

So naturally, Chante is going to go down the path of subliminally attracting no good ass dudes....just like her mom.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
That's the paradox. Behavior is learned.

Chante was already a teenager at the time when her mom's boyfriend ghosted her. There's no telling how many other guys came into her mom's life and displayed similar traits, and Chante had been around long enough to witness it.

So naturally, Chante is going to go down the path of subliminally attracting no good ass dudes....just like her mom.
This subliminal attraction business seems vague and ill defined, as it pertains to the film. Which of the long list of men that hurt her did she subliminally attract by absorbing her moms bitterness?

All of the guys in the movie that hurt her are around the way people she knew her entire life or met by way of sharing a hobby of rapping. And most of them aren’t even someone she dates. They are just men involved in the male dominated business of rap or hustling. There was no way of avoiding being involved with some of them. And she did trust them, rejecting her moms bitter outlook, which is why they were so easily able to take advantage of her, whether it was through domestic violence, sexual violence, or stealing from her.

If the film wanted to present more of a “her bitter mom ruined her mindset” thesis, then they needed to show her actually chasing off or ignoring some “good dudes” that meant to do well by her. But I don’t think the film was trying to say Shanté picked up bad habits from her mom that drew bad men to her, but that men being shytty to women was pervasive and unavoidable, from the hood to the rap game.

Last edited:

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN

Maybe I’m blanking but I don’t recall a single positive male adult in the movie. So if anything the message of the movie seemed less “damn, my mama ruined my outlook on men” and more “see, mama was right. Everything happened just like she told me it would.” And that is why they are closer at the end.
Good point, however the thing is there are some mothers who say the type of things Shante's mother said in this film to their children and it does affect them. I'm speaking more in general then in this film specifically when it comes to this issue.

There are mothers who are bitter and hate men and speak negatively about this to their children or in groups with other women with their children nearby. This kind of situation sends a bad impression to their daughters and in turn socializes them to hate men, hold on to certain cognitive bias which may later become harmful to them in their relationships with men as they get older and also makes them have trust issues. They are prone to fall into similar patterns that they mother did as well in many cases. For any sons growing up in a household like this they feel their mother is never satisfied by their actions, their mom is tough on them and that they are not good enough.

As for any males that were good to Shante, one that comes to mind is the male that went to jail. I forgot his name and they never speak on him again after he is locked up but he is the one who made the drug dealer guy fall back initially when he tried to make a move. The teacher also comes to mind but she ran from him and didn't go back to school.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
They had some fly Addidas track suits and shyt in this movie. I wonder if Addidas still makes that style of them :jbhmm: They really had some fly gear back then.
I'm saying. I want all of them.

I liked the movie overrall. All the actors killed it, especially Nia L. Wish they could have padded it another 20-30 minutes and tell the full story.

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
I'm saying. I want all of them.

I liked the movie overrall. All the actors killed it, especially Nia L. Wish they could have padded it another 20-30 minutes and tell the full story.
Me too man, I don't see none of those in the stores :mjcry:

Also I agree, they didn't even show what happened when she finally did drop an album if I recall.